Calling All Canadian Authors discussion

News and Events

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) In this thread I want to know what's up with you. This way we have one stop to find out what everyone is up to and upcoming events, signings, or contests that other members want to share. You can share publishing news that's personal to you, or generalized to the industry. Share interesting blogs, articles and sites that you think are worth checking out.

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) I'll begin I guess. I'm not sure how many of you are members of On Fiction Writing, which I also moderate, but each month I do a writing challenge. I'd love it if my Canadian writer pals shared their talent with the masses over there. October's challenge is here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3... and I promise it's tons of fun. You can even submit to September's challenge if you'd like. That doesn't close until September 30th. You can find details for that challenge here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

Anyway, thought some of you might find that worth checking out and I was hoping maybe the Canadians weren't as chicken as the rest of them and perhaps enjoyed sharing our mad skills. ;)

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Um...here's some news. My short story "Yet he's Here" will be published in an upcoming (date yet undetermined) horror anthology by AuthorMike Ink. Excited? Yes. Yes I am. I'll let you all know when it's available. Back to your regularly scheduled evening.

Midnight? I should go to bed.

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) I have more good news...at least I'm hoping it's good. I've had more writing selected for another anthology. No details (again) on release, but I'll post when I know. Plus I'm now the Canada Books Examiner as well as the Toronto Publishing Examiner. What does this mean? Well, here's the plan: The Toronto page will now be home to articles about publishing in and around Toronto (Ontario, mostly), publishers, agents, writer resources, events, etc. and the Canada page, which should have more exposure and therefore a larger reader base, will be home to author spotlights, book reviews, articles on fiction writing and basically, anything relating to Canadian authors and books.

Originally when I started writing for Examiner, my goal was to have a page that promoted Canadian talent, which we have a ton of. Now, I can do that while also having a spot where I can also add resources and information I've learned in my journey to publish.

Wow. Long post. The short of it is, I am open to suggestions. If there is an author you'd like to see featured, an article about an element of fiction writing you'd like to read, if you'd like your book reviewed even, then let me know. One note: I do not review books that I'm not wowed by. Why? My page is not about negativity or what not to read. It's about promotion, a positive view of the Canadian Literary scene. So, if you contact me, I'll definitely buy your book and give it a read, but that doesn't mean I'll do a spotlight or review. I hope that sounds fair. Reading is so subjective, I hate to give a negative review of a book when someone else might love it.

Okay, done. Wow, I really love to ramble. Sorry folks.

message 5: by Rai (new)

Rai | 4 comments Renee wrote: "I have more good news...at least I'm hoping it's good. I've had more writing selected for another anthology. No details (again) on release, but I'll post when I know. Plus I'm now the Canada Books ..."

Congratulations on all of your exciting news Renee!!

Rai

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Thanks Rai, I hope that I can keep up with everything. Of course, I'd welcome more good news, no matter how much work it entails. Time to twiddle my thumbs only gets me into trouble.

message 7: by Erma (new)

Erma Odrach | 163 comments Mod
This is all very good news, Renee! You help promote writing in Canada. Congrats!!

message 8: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Thanks, Erma. I figure promoting Canadian authors does me a world of good as well. So it's not entirely selfless. ;)

When I agreed to moderate and start these groups, I was really shocked at how many Canadians didn't know what kind of talent we have right here. So, me and my big mouth said we could make sure everyone knew.

message 9: by Erma (new)

Am especially looking forward to your coming author interviews/spotlights in The Examiner. Very interesting stuff. I like that you cover a lot of different genres, even kids' lit.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) It helps that I read everything. With my oldest daughter I read many books before her, especially if I'm not familiar with the author, so I'm still very into the children's lit. I enjoy writing it too, although I don't really write for more than Kennedy's entertainment.

To me, a good book is a good book and genre plays no part in my selection.

message 11: by Rai (new)

Rai | 4 comments Renee wrote: "It helps that I read everything. With my oldest daughter I read many books before her, especially if I'm not familiar with the author, so I'm still very into the children's lit. I enjoy writing it ..."

What a great service you are doing for Canadian literature, Renee! Very encouraging :)

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) I hope so, even if it's a rather small part. I recently discovered a publication (and website) called Openbook Toronto. Awesome things in this site. There's also an Openbook Ontario and an Openbook Canada.

message 13: by Rai (new)

Rai | 4 comments Renee wrote: "I hope so, even if it's a rather small part. I recently discovered a publication (and website) called Openbook Toronto. Awesome things in this site. There's also an Openbook Ontario and an Openbook..."

Very cool re: the Openbook sites! It warms the heart to see the world of books being embraced & supported. Bodes well for all of us...

message 14: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) It does, definitely. I'm glad to see it. It makes me even happier to see my kids preferring to go into their rooms with a book rather than watching TV. They're both avid readers, and Kennedy is only 6, which is awesome.

message 15: by Rai (new)

Rai | 4 comments Renee wrote: "It does, definitely. I'm glad to see it. It makes me even happier to see my kids preferring to go into their rooms with a book rather than watching TV. They're both avid readers, and Kennedy is onl..."

Great stuff! Our household is the same, we're all major book addicts :)

message 16: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Hey everyone, I'm not sure if I've posted the link to this site before, but I did write a spotlight for it on my Canada Books Examiner page. http://wearecanadian.spruz.com/ is a creative Canadian community and we have a writer's group there that I'm trying to boost a little. Anyway, that's not the announcement, the ladies over at WAC have featured me as the Member of the Week. I've never been the anything of the week, not even the flavor, which I mean, I don't want to be the flavor of the week...okay, so once it would have been nice, but that's not the point. I'm honored that they have done so. Go on over and check it out. Their groups aren't only for writers, they've got musicians, painters, crafters; everything creative. If you've got something they don't have there, join and send a suggestion, Tanya will start your group asap.

message 17: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie Boll | 3 comments My YA novel "The Second Trial" has been shortlisted for the Ontario Library Association White Pine Award. "The White Pine™ Awards reading program brings an excellent selection of recent Canadian books to the attention of high-school aged young adults across the Province. It rewards them for reading by making them the judges in a province-wide literary event. Through the participation of the youth, the White Pine™ Awards program encourages Canadian writing, Canadian authors, and the improvement of reading skills." [from OLA website]

message 18: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Congrats, Rosemarie. That is awesome. I'm reading it right now, actually and I'm not surprised. I'm quite drawn into the story.

message 19: by Erma (new)

Congratulatins and good luck!The Second Trial sounds like a pretty heavy topic that needs to be addressed. My 14-year-old just might enjoy it.

message 20: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Erma, I just finished it and she does a great job with Danny's POV and the topic is dealt with in a way that's not difficult for a teen to understand and digest. I'm passing it to my daughter. She's 12, but I should mention that Court is a mature 12, and I believe the book is more suited to high school age teens. Not because of any graphic or particularly adult scenes, but because I feel that age is able to understand the topic and the emotions Danny and his mother are going through.

Look at me reviewing, I'll have a full review on my Canada Examiner page in a little over a week.

message 21: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) I have a bit of good news as well. I didn't want to post until it was definite though. We haven't ironed out all of the details, but it is a definite, beginning in January I'll have a 'column' or feature, whatever you want to call it, in Open Book Toronto, and because you lucky bunch of writers are Canadian, you can participate. I'll be running a monthly writing challenge that will tie in with the Writer in Residence. We will be selecting winners each month. The rest, well we're still figuring everything out, but I believe at least one story will run the following month. I'll let you know when I know when the first article will run and all the little details.

I'm really excited. I'm sure you couldn't tell.

message 22: by Erma (new)

Wow! Excellent! Will be watching out for it! Congrats!!!

message 23: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Thanks. I was blown away when they replied to me, and of course, a little nervous.

message 24: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrapurdykong) Renee wrote: "I have a bit of good news as well. I didn't want to post until it was definite though. We haven't ironed out all of the details, but it is a definite, beginning in January I'll have a 'column' or f..."

Congratulations, Renee. I'm excited for you!

Debra
Fatal Encryption
Taxed to death

message 25: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Thanks Debra. I'm getting more excited by the minute. I can't wait until I have the first article done and approved. First, of course, the details which I hope we get ironed out soon.

message 26: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie Boll | 3 comments Good for you, Renee!

message 27: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Okay, we've figured it all out the the first challenge, or rather my first article in Open Book, is scheduled for mid-January. I'll post the link then as well. Now, I just have to come up with a writing challenge.

By the way, anyone from anywhere will be able to submit and we'll be choosing at least one submission (as far as I know) to be published as the 'winner' for each challenge.

Did that make any sense? My brain is mush. I've been fighting with a printer all day and got absolutely nothing done. Now off to write articles until midnight.

message 28: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Hoping you all have a safe and Happy New Year and a great 2011. I see big things. ;)

Also, because I can't remember if I've mentioned it here yet, (I wanted to wait until it was definite) on January 15 (or thereabouts) I'll have a column debuting in Open Book Toronto. Each month I'll challenge readers to write. The winner will be published in Open Book with the following month's challenge. It's open to everyone, no matter what country you live in so spread the word. I'll post the link when I have it. I hope to see some of you try it out. I promise they'll be fun.

message 29: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrapurdykong) Happy New Year to you too, Renee, and everyone!

Debra

message 30: by Erma (new)

Looking forward to it, Renee. Happy New Year to all!

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael | 16 comments I'm back online after a prolonged hiatus. I do have a couple of things to report.

My short story "Incorrigible" was published in "Canadian Voices Volume 2, An Anthology of Prose and Poetry by Emerging Canadian Writers".

And on the novel front, the e-book version of my award-winning novel "Until the Deep Water Stills: An Internet-enhanced Novel" is now available from Smashwords (www.smashwords.com). A few preview is available to download.

Thanks and happy new year to everyone!

Michael

message 32: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Hey all! Interested in a writing challenge? The winner is published in Open Book Toronto. This is my first article with them and it will run monthly. Check it out: http://www.openbooktoronto.com/news/j...

message 33: by Renee (last edited Feb 05, 2011 02:22PM) (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Hello all. I just wanted to post some great news for one of our members. Shane Joseph's book After the Flood, having sold out its first edition, came out in second edition with a brand new cover and is now available via amazon.com (and amazon.ca, .uk and others) Congratulations Shane!Everyone else, check it out. I'm going to add to my list and do the same.

message 34: by Erma (new)

Congratulations, Shane! Good news!

message 35: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrapurdykong) Congratulations to Shane! Given the hundreds of thousands of books published every year, to sell out a first edition is a big accomplishment!

message 36: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Hey everyone! Check out Open Book Toronto's March Flash Fiction Challenge. http://www.openbooktoronto.com/news/marc...

Poets, this one's for you. :)

message 37: by Renee (last edited May 07, 2011 12:26PM) (new)

Renee (rjmiller) This is not good news, but I hope that in the end it isn't tragic. If you could take a look at this report: http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc... , particularly those of you in Alberta, this man and his family are amazing people with huge hearts. His mother is an author and a friend, a she is just a very special person. Her boys are her world and I cannot imagine her fear right now.

message 38: by Renee (last edited May 10, 2011 02:46PM) (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Hey all. So quiet in here. I need to do some cleaning. I stopped by to remind you all about my challenges in Open Book.

As some of you may be aware, I contribute a flash fiction challenge every month in Open Book Toronto. Due to some confusion over the Easter holidays, people away, etc. April's challenge deadline has been extended to the 15th for those of you who want to answer the question "What if?" for me. Full details are here: http://www.openbooktoronto.com/news/a... The winner will have their story published in Open Book.

message 39: by Renee (last edited May 18, 2011 06:32PM) (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Any writers looking for publications to write for, I've just found a very interesting one based in Vancouver. http://www.thedependent.ca They're actively seeking contributors, so check it out. I'd love to contribute, but sadly don't live in Vancouver, have never lived there and doubt I could contribute what they're looking for.

message 40: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Demers If you live in the Vancouver area, I'm giving a talk on self-publishing at the McGill Library in North Burnaby the evening of June 21. It's free but space is limited so you have to register. You can do so by going to the library website at:
http://www.bpl.bc.ca/events/an-introd...

Cheers,
Michelle

message 41: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Hey, look who I found in Open Book Toronto http://www.openbooktoronto.com/greatc...

message 42: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Who likes writing pitches? Blurbs? Well, how about you write one anyway? As you may (or may not) know, I've co-authored the Writer's Companion with Carlos J. Cortes and it's finally available for sale. However, we're offering a copy here on Goodreads and we're also offering two more chances to win a copy on Facebook and Twitter. Check out the details here: https://www.facebook.com/WritersCompa...

message 43: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Open Book Ontario has read and liked the Writer's Companion and they're running a series over the next two months featuring an excerpt of the book and a chance for readers to win an e-book copy. http://www.openbookontario.com/news/e...

message 44: by Erma (new)

Good to see the Companion in Openbook; a series over the next two months is great! Congrats!

message 45: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Thanks, Erma. I was thrilled when they offered.

message 46: by David (new)

David Korinetz Red Tuque Books has a writing contest for Canadian authors:

http://www.redtuquebooks.ca/RTevents/...

The deadline is December 31st.

message 47: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Hey everyone, I just wanted to invite you all to check out a website I've built with author Carlos J. Cortes. On Fiction Writing is a writers community geared toward improving and promoting all authors; unpublished, traditionally published and self-published. For the month of January, we're offering 6 months free membership. Just use coupon code XM827 when registering. After that it costs less than $1 per day. Check it out, the Showcase is my favorite perk, where all writers, published or not, can post five pages to either tempt readers to buy their work or tempt agents/publishers to ask for more.

We also have monthly anthology contests that will cover nearly all genres, a peer critique workshop, forum and all of it is free for members. We welcome members to submit articles for publication in the e-zine and are looking for authors, editors, etc. to interview there as well.

Technically the site isn't launching until midnight, but it's gone live a bit earlier than planned. Come on over and check it out.

message 48: by Michael (new)

Michael | 16 comments My story “Ransom Heart” has made the list of three finalists for the Second Wind Publishing short story contest.

The winner of the contest will be determined exclusively by “votes” placed at the contest site by January 31, 2012. (See link below). “Votes” are made by leaving the name of the story as a comment on the short blog article at the link below.

http://secondwindcontests.wordpress.c...

message 49: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joannelevy) | 1 comments Hi all, my middle grade book, SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE will be out this coming July and I've just booked my launch party to be held at Bryan Prince Bookseller in Hamilton, Ontario on July 14. For details, please keep an eye on my Facebook Author page: http://www.facebook.com/JoanneLevyAuthor
Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy

message 50: by Erma (last edited Jan 24, 2012 08:13AM) (new)

Passing on a really great article on writing with passion from On Fiction Writing (OFW) - Renee's one of the editors of OFW.

http://onfictionwriting.com/editorial...

« previous 1