Ender's Jeesh discussion

Ender's Game Coming to the Movies?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay (last edited Sep 03, 2010 07:07AM) (new)

Kay (kaynix) | 1 comments i haven't seen any news about it lately ...

Movie Update - February 25, 2009

I have finished the latest (and best) revision of my Ender's Game screenplay, which I have turned in to Odd Lot Entertainment as the first step in their option of the film. We have assembled a team of producers who understand the story and I believe we have our best chance yet of getting a good movie made. — Orson Scott Card

The film's action will take the story beyond the original novel, and include Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow.

There's no release date set as yet, but we can only hope that a classic Sci-Fi story will eventually see the filmic light of day.

does anyone know something more? if they dropped it entirely or not?

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike | 14 comments Mod
I think that OSC is so protective of his work that things are going to have to align just right for it to be made into a Movie.

If you read any of his Blogs you know how critical he is of Hollywood and he is not going to be pushed around when it comes to his story.

This has been in the works for years, now that he has decided to write the screen play I would think that it may be even closer to happening but still there are a lot of hurdles to get over.

message 3: by Riley (new)

Riley Mason | 1 comments Kay wrote: "i haven't seen any news about it lately ...

Movie Update - February 25, 2009

I have finished the latest (and best) revision of my Ender's Game screenplay, which I have turned in to Odd Lot Entert..."

I think his main concern aside from some marketing team destroying his work for profit is finding enough talented child actors. He expressed as much in an interview for one of the audiobooks (can't recall which one), so I think if that could be solved the movie would get the green light.

message 4: by Perry (new)

Perry | 2 comments Here is a fan made trailer putting together multiple movies to make a trailer for ender's game.

kinda cool

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/11/a...

message 5: by Trae (new)

Trae Maeder (trmaeder) | 1 comments I hope they actually go through with it this time.

message 6: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) | 8 comments I've given up on waiting for it.

message 7: by TJ (new)

TJ Anderson (tjanderson) | 16 comments From what I understand OSC is very particular that the actors be the as close to the actual age of the children in the series. And as you can imagine finding that many good actors that aren't even in their teens yet is difficult. I honestly think that either they will finally put some serious effort into finding the right actors(doubtful because it's expensive), or OSC will give in to casting teens as he gets older, or he will pass without ever making the movie and then the rights to the book will be for sale w/o the authors consent and someone will just make it how they want.
It would be great if a large production company committed the resources to finding and working with a large group of young actors (like Harry Potter casting but in the US). I would hate to see the movie made w/o OSC involved, but it is probably the most likely scenario.

message 8: by Annette (new)

Annette | 6 comments On www.comingsoon.net they have posted that Summit Entertainment (makers of the Twilight movies) currently owns the rights and has a director contracted with a release date of March 15, 2013. On www.imdb.com they have Asa Butterfield (the kid from the movie "Hugo")rumored to be Ender....

We'll see if they actually go through with it!

message 9: by TJ (new)

TJ Anderson (tjanderson) | 16 comments I don't want to say how I know for fear of getting my friend/source in trouble. But I can confirm that the production companies have already started spending money on the movie which means that if it doesn't go through this time someone will be out more than pocket money and time. I am 99.9% sure that this movie is going to happen. The lingering questions is how good it's going to be, and if they are going to do the whole series.
It gives me confidence knowing that OSC wrote the screen play himself. That is where book to movie often goes wrong. The screen play is usually the one to decide what to cut from book to script, even if it's often done under duress of the director. As finicky as OSC has been about this movie I doubt anyone will be able to push him around.

message 10: by Mike (last edited Jan 11, 2012 09:26AM) (new)

Mike | 14 comments Mod
New information from OSC's website.

Filming begins in Feb.

Stars Asa Butterfiled (from this years Hugo), Harrison Ford, Hailee Steinfield (I believe she was in True Grit), and Abigail Breslin.

That is some very exciting news.

message 11: by TJ (new)

TJ Anderson (tjanderson) | 16 comments http://hatrack.com/

Open casting calls in New Orleans!!!!!
I would go just for the opportunity.

message 12: by TJ (new)

TJ Anderson (tjanderson) | 16 comments My friend who has knowledge of some of the inner workings of the movie/production was telling me the other day about the set design. It sounds pretty awesome. For battle school they are making a set with multiple adjoined movable sets, so they shoot sequences where the kids move from one area to another while the station rotates. It all sounds pretty ingenious how they have it set up to not be too complicated, but still give all the real aspects of the rotating battle school.

message 13: by Jeremy C. Brown (new)

Jeremy C. Brown | 5 comments I don't know if anyone is still paying attention to this thread, but I found a few bits of info pertinent to the topic. Enjoy! :)

Official info including cast:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

An article OSC recently wrote about his experience visiting the filming site:
http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/arti...

The Wiki on the movie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender...

message 14: by Annette (last edited May 21, 2012 02:02PM) (new)

Annette | 6 comments This comment from Card about his movie worries me a little-

"The scene does not come from the book – very few of the scenes in this movie do – so it was amusing when others asked me how it felt to have my book brought to life. My book was already alive in the mind of every reader. This is writer-director Gavin Hood's movie, so they were his words, and it was his scene."

Does this mean die hard book fans are going to be disappointed? Are we not going to see the story we love?

message 15: by Jeremy C. Brown (new)

Jeremy C. Brown | 5 comments Well it's kind of an interesting question Annette, I think each reader has his or her own images that flow through their mind even reading over the same passage. I think to a certain extent we would be disappointed no matter how closely it follows the book, because we'd be realizing someone else's imagination and not our own. That being said, I think we die hard fans would enjoy the movie more taking Cards advice and seeing it not as Enders Game the movie, but as a Gavin Hood's story that closely resembles a book we love. :) On another note, Im pretty happy about the casting. They closely match the images I had in my head, with the exception of Bonzo... don't know how their going to pull that one off with who they've chosen.

message 16: by Annette (new)

Annette | 6 comments I can't picture Major Anderson as a woman; that one will be difficult, I think. It's just going to be hard to buy that a female character could act in the necessary cold and aloof way toward a bunch of struggling children who have been taken from their families without us viewers wanting to hate her-- seems unnatural. That may sound stereotypical or even sexist but I just think the part is more believable and understandable played as a male part.

message 17: by Jeremy C. Brown (new)

Jeremy C. Brown | 5 comments yeah, I think you're right, that's the other character I thought I might have a tough time with.

message 18: by Phil (new)

Phil | 8 comments I'm uncertain about Hood, as he's largely an untested director. I hope he wows with a breakout, but am not convinced that the direction will be stellar (pardon the pun). On the other hand, I do like the casting for the most part. Asa made for a terrific Mordred (BBC's Merlin) and was awesome as Hugo. I can definitely see him being able to bring a lot of depth to Ender (though how can anyone help but fall woefully short). I also have no problems with Viola playing Anderson, though the transition to a female will be a bit odd at first (in my head). She's an amazing hard-working actress and will do the role justice, I'm certain. Ford as Graff should be great. He's codgery enough now to make a great Hyrum.

It'll be interesting to see how Bean does. He has a potential for a breakout being in two prolific scifi movies in consecutive years (The Dark Knight Rises and this). I had previously only seen him in Dexter (as a frightened young Carlos). The only qualm I have is that Breslin is not at all like how I pictured Valentine. Haven't seen much of the kid to play Peter, but he looks roughly like the Peter in my head.

A brief side note: did anyone else find it funny that the cast list includes Harrison Ford AND Han Solo..erm Soto.

message 19: by TJ (new)

TJ Anderson (tjanderson) | 16 comments I think Gavin Hood is doing a great job from everything I've seen so far. If you've been following https://twitter.com/#!/endersgame_2013 you probably saw the photos posted on Friday of there wrap party.
That's right, they are done filming.
The question in my mind is if they are going to film the other books or not. Being in the New Orleans area (where the film is being shot) things I've noticed going on indicate that they aren't immediately going into production of the other movies. It makes me think that they are waiting to see how the movie does before they decide on whether or not to do the entire series. I really hope Ender's game is enough of a blockbuster that they do the entire series.

message 20: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonbri) | 5 comments It is very rare that a movie adaptation of a book lives up to my expectations (the exceptions being the LOTR trilogy and more recently The Hunger Games). I have been hoping for this movie for a very long time and I think the main characters have been well cast. I agree with Jeremy that the best thing to do is approach the movie as a separate entity. But whether it ends up being amazing or terrible it will never destroy my love of the book!

message 21: by Jeremy C. Brown (new)

Jeremy C. Brown | 5 comments why can't we click like on each other's posts?... :-)

message 22: by TJ (new)

TJ Anderson (tjanderson) | 16 comments I agree, if you go in to this movie expecting it to be 99+% true to the book you will be very disappointing. OSC worked closely with Gavin on the screenplay, and retained the right to veto anything done with the script. But that being said, I know that there are many parts of the movie where they have blended the books together, and several times where they have interpreted events, and depictions of characters in order to convey the emotions expressed in the inner monologues of ender and bean that couldn't otherwise be caught on film.
Just treat it like the Bourn series, where they are good movies and good books, but try not to worry too much about the details. Either way I'm excited to see it. :)

message 23: by Allison (new)

Allison (alliikubo) | 1 comments There's also this
http://endersgameblog.tumblr.com/
With updates every week or so. I check it everyday to see if there are any updates. I am shameless.
I hope it will live up to the book and since OSC worked on the screenplay I believe it will. But I am willing to make some concessions considering, I'm is just excited it is actually happening.

message 24: by Aviv (new)

Aviv (aviv4) | 1 comments According to IMDB: 1 November 2013 (USA)
I really hope it will be good and it wont be ruined, like many other movies (of books)...

message 25: by TJ (new)

TJ Anderson (tjanderson) | 16 comments They finished filming almost 6 months ago, I'm surprised it is still that far out, I guess that shows how much digital effects they are going to involve.
I may be partial because I got to visit the set a couple times but I know that they worked really hard to make the sets look at actually function like battleschool is actually described to.
The hard part IMO is not just capturing the events of the book but the emotion that OSC puts into his writting. There is so much inner monolog in the books that if you put all of that into the movie it would be more drawn out than pride & prejudice. I think they have done a good job of making it into a book. The thing to keep in mind for ALL book to movie conversions is that they are not the book. If you keep them as separate things in your mind, and try to judge it as a good or bad movie, then you'll be a lot less disappointing. The old BBC movies made out of books were very accurate, and very disappointing, because nothing compares to your imagination.

message 26: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (reformed_dog) | 1 comments I can't wait for this!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I looked at the actors and they looked pretty much how I imagined them. Hopefully the movie will follow the book enough to make it good though isn't Ender 6 when the book starts? The actor is WAY older but whatever

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually all the actors are way older then they were at the beginning of the book. I don't care that much though. Just saying

message 29: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) | 8 comments The book covers so many years, it'd be hard to have one kid convincingly play 6 through 12. They can't really just jump ahead and use different actors. They may have decided it would be less disturbing to have older kids stay about the same age for the whole movie.

message 30: by Billy (new)

Billy | 1 comments I really hope Ender's Game is good. I'm glad they have an actor like Ford in it though, gives me some hope it won't be a flop...

message 31: by Julia (new)

Julia | 7 comments I'm so excited! I've been looking at the fan sites and stuff a little bit and based on what their saying it seems like it will be pretty good. The teaser trailer is pretty awesome.

message 32: by Taylor11 (new)

Taylor11 | 1 comments The movie is actually supposed to be a combination of Enders Game and Enders Shadow. I watched the trailer and I think it looks very good. The actors all look to me about right too. I think Asa Butterfield as Ender, Aramis Knight as Bean, Harrison Ford as Graff and Ben Kingsley as Razar are perfect. The rest of the Battle Kids looks good too. I think Mosies Arias as Bonzo is good, but he looks way smaller than Ender and pretty much everyone. I wonder how they will handle that.

message 33: by Julia (new)

Julia | 7 comments Actually, at the beginning they said it was a combination of enders game and enders shadow, but I'm pretty sure they said later on that it was not so much enders shadow, and it might have a little bit of enders shadow, but not much.

message 34: by Mina (new)

Mina Henley | 11 comments Julia wrote: "Actually, at the beginning they said it was a combination of enders game and enders shadow, but I'm pretty sure they said later on that it was not so much enders shadow, and it might have a little ..."

That actually reassures me a LOT. It can be hard enough compacting the story of an entire book into one movie; I was really worried about the movie quality if they tried to do both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. I love Ender's Shadow, but I'd rather see it as a separate movie.

message 35: by Julia (new)

Julia | 7 comments Yeah, me too. They are the same storyline, mostly, but they have such different messages and ideas.

message 36: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasia_e) | 1 comments Ughh.. The trailer does not look good.. It just looks like tons of shooting and action.. Ender's game was so centered around Ender and his mental state that it is impossible to make a decent movie from the amazing book.. I'm pretty upset that OSC sold the rights to the masterpiece... Whatever, hopefully I'm proven wrong

message 37: by Mina (new)

Mina Henley | 11 comments Anastasia wrote: "Ughh.. The trailer does not look good.. It just looks like tons of shooting and action.. Ender's game was so centered around Ender and his mental state that it is impossible to make a decent movie ..."

Luckily, from what I've gathered after watching the prospects of this movie being made for the last 12 years, OSC is very protective of his works. He has, multiple times already, rescinded the rights for a movie to be made because it wasn't staying true enough to his work. He's remaining an important part of the movie-creation process and even wrote the initial draft of the movie (it had to just be re-drafted to fit proper movie formats, I believe).

So while yes, it did look fairly action-ee, I think they were just doing the shots of the movie that were shooting and action to draw a crowd. Hopefully the rest will be as true to the book as possible.

message 38: by Julia (new)

Julia | 7 comments I agree. Besides, it's not like there wasn't action in the book. It was actually a big part of the book. The problem with it, for movies at least, is that the rest was in enders head. The story was his reaction to the action, and so in the movie trailer, they are showing cause without effect and waiting for people to get to the movies and watch the movie to figure out the missing effect.

Katiisoriginal  | 4 comments Yaaaaaaaaayyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 40: by FantasyFan J (new)

FantasyFan J (ff101spch) That movie was so awesome!

message 41: by TJ (new)

TJ Anderson (tjanderson) | 16 comments I loved the movie, but then again I got to see them work on it, and talk to the art director at one point. I understand (though not always agree with) why they made certain decisions. So when I went to see the movie I was going to see the result of production, direction, sets, CG, etc. of a movie. Yes it is of a book that I love, and have loved for many years, but I learned many years ago that when I go see a movie based on a book I forget about the book and just watch the movie for what it is.
I've found two things that help me with this:
1) When Bourne Identity took such a deviation from the underlying premise of the book there was a rumor going around that the deviation was Robert Ludlum's explicit suggestion; So rather than being a bastardization of the book, it was a twist suggested by the author. Think of it like a parallel fanfiction, but BETTER because it is from the author. So now when I see the movies I think of the changes as plot twists or an added layer; nevermind that they aren't all the author's suggestion.
2) I saw The Davinci Code right after reading the book and hated it, which was disappointing because I loved the cast. My cousin (very similar taste) said he loved the movie, so I rewatched it a couple years later and truely enjoyed it because I intentionally put the book out of my mind. IF YOU COMPARE THE BOOK TO THE MOVIE YOU WILL NEVER ENJOY THE MOVIE! Even if the movie is a better recreation than you could have imagined, rather than enjoying the cinema you will be nit picking the entire time. So just put it out of your mind, and DO NOT re-read the book right before the movie comes out, it will only heighten your disappointment (unless you don't mind deviations). Instead read the book after you watch the movie, and right before re-watching on DVD :)
On a side note Catching Fire was AMAZING!

message 42: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) | 8 comments I agree, I think the movie was well done and enjoyable. But it wasn't really a good adaptation of the book. But I think a miniseries would have probably been necessary to really make it feel like the book.

Snowdrop, Daughter of Apollo (SadieMKane) | 3 comments I only watch it because
a) The action
b) The storyline
c) Asa Butterfield :3