Books on the Nightstand discussion

Podcast Episode Discussions > Episode 92 - More book podcasts

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 41 comments I'm duplicating this comment that I also made at the Books on the Nightstand blog - for those who don't visit the blog, but do visit the Goodreads group.

Michael and Ann, thanks for mentioning my Reading and Writing podcast. Much appreciated.

However, Books on the Nightstand is still the gold standard for books podcast, in my opinion.

Also, for your listeners and anyone who loves books and reading, I wanted to mention some other books podcasts too:

The Book Show – a podcast of a radio show broadcast on WAMC the Albany, NY NPR station – http://www.wamc.org/prog-bookshow.html

If You’re Just Joining Us – a podcast recorded by Jon Armstrong, author of a Grey – one of the few science fiction novels that I know of focused on the fashion industry. Armstrong interviews a variety of authors and writers. Armstrong wrote a science fiction novel - Grey - concerning the fashion industry - GreyGrey

http://www.ifyourejustjoiningus.com/

Adventures in Sci-Fi Publishing – http://www.adventuresinscifipublishin...
Interviews with many top science fiction and fantasy writers.

Enjoy!

Jeff

message 2: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (camicami) Great episode! I subscribed to all mentioned podcasts. :)

Just one thing about the pronunciation of José Saramago: He is Portuguese, not Spanish, so it is pronounced with the English J sound, not the Spanish J sound. :)

message 3: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 116 comments Loved this episode. There can never be too many book podcasts!

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2764 comments Mod
I, too signed up for all the podcasts. Thanks for the heads-up. Now if only I had all that time to listen to these podcasts.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Cami wrote: "Great episode! I subscribed to all mentioned podcasts. :)

Just one thing about the pronunciation of José Saramago: He is Portuguese, not Spanish, so it is pronounced with the English J sound, not ..."

As I was saying his name, I was thinking "that's wrong," because someone corrected me on that already. I've been saying it with the "h" sound for years now. It's gonna take me awhile to change, but thanks for the reminder!

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 89 comments I'm surprised you didn't mention the Sword and Laser podcast. I first heard it mentioned on your podcast and it's terrific.

message 7: by Shona (last edited Sep 04, 2010 01:38AM) (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) | 178 comments Great episode! I had found Guys Can Read a couple of weeks ago and listened to a couple of episodes and although most of the books they read won't end up on my bookshelf and I'm not "a guy", I really enjoying listening to these guys just talk about books.
I also downloaded Do Nothing But Read based on your recommendation - Brandon and Amanda are a lot of fun to listen to. They go off on tangents about their subjects and they are so funny. They kind of remind me of listening to my daughter and her friends (they are in their early 20's as well).
So thank you for the recommendations. I do have to say however, that no other podcast can compare to BOTN :) I can't imagine eagerly anticipating another podcast they way I do with BOTN. I so look forward to Wednesdays - I know when I get home from work, there should be a new episode waiting for me and it makes my whole week :)

message 8: by Joel (new)

Joel (joelevard) I have also downloaded a few of each of the discussed podcasts, but I only listened to two episodes of Do Nothing But Read. Enjoyable I agree, but it does make me appreciate the more polished editing of BOTN. There is a lot of "he said, like, then they, like, go on a quest to this, like, magical city," which granted is how I and everyone in their mid- to late-20s talks pretty much, but it is a little annoying to listen to on a podcast.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_ilott) | 8 comments Hi, I know that most of you are based in the States, so I wanted to introduce you to a couple of books podcasts that I listen to in the UK. If you know these already I apologise.

Firstly there is the BBC's World Book Club. This is a monthly podcast where they talk to one author in front of a live audience. The audience can ask questions and they also take email and phone calls from around the world.

The link below will take you to the website where you can find out more about the show. You can listen on the BBC's website or subscribe via iTunes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/art...

I really enjoy the show and it has made me rush out and buy lots of the books that they discuss.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Joel -- thank you :)

Sarah - great, thank you! Do you know of any "non professional" podcasts from the UK, that would be similar to Books on the Nightstand? I'm sure there must be at least one. If not, someone should start one!

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentwist) | 109 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi, I know that most of you are based in the States, so I wanted to introduce you to a couple of books podcasts that I listen to in the UK. If you know these already I apologise.

Firstly there i..."

Sarah, you've got me eager to hear more from the UK since I tend to gravitate towards British authors. I do listen to the Guardian podcast and I love it. What other UK book podcasts are there?

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Brady (dawnallyn) | 22 comments Joel wrote: "I have also downloaded a few of each of the discussed podcasts, but I only listened to two episodes of Do Nothing But Read. Enjoyable I agree, but it does make me appreciate the more polished editi..."

The editing does make it difficult to listen. And I'm not THAT old, but I kind of find them annoying.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_ilott) | 8 comments Ann wrote: "Joel -- thank you :)

Sarah - great, thank you! Do you know of any "non professional" podcasts from the UK, that would be similar to Books on the Nightstand? I'm sure there must be at least one. If..."

Hi Ann, there is one that I have subscribed to recently it is called Book Slam Podcast. It is very different, and not for everyone.

It is a real mix of things (recorded in a London night club) that is podcast once a month. In terms of content; it is a mix of authors discussing their novels (typically pre-recorded) appearing on there. Most recently it was Phillip Pullman discussing his latest book The Good Man Jesus And The Soundrel Christ.

There is some live poetry readings and live music. The poetry can sometimes have language that you wouldn't want your kids to hear. The music is not for everyone! But as it is the last few minutes of the podcast it can be skipped over.

I have to say I prefer the sections with the authors, however I have only listened to a couple of episodes and will reserve judgement for a bit.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_ilott) | 8 comments Sarah wrote: "Ann wrote: "Joel -- thank you :)

Sarah - great, thank you! Do you know of any "non professional" podcasts from the UK, that would be similar to Books on the Nightstand? I'm sure there must be at..."

I meant to say that you can subcribe via iTunes or http://www.bookslam.com/

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_ilott) | 8 comments Jennifer wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Hi, I know that most of you are based in the States, so I wanted to introduce you to a couple of books podcasts that I listen to in the UK. If you know these already I apologise.

Fir..."

Hi Jennifer, I listen to the Guardian as well. I am loving the feature they have been running recently which is my life through books.

There is another BBC one which I also like. This is weekly and is released on Sundays. They usually discuss a few different issues that are interesting. A recent episode was discussing male and female authors who have written under different names for different genres. It was fascinating to find out the difference this made to their book sales and their reviews!

They also do a reading clinic, where they help recommend books to people who don't really read, or want to branch out into something a bit different.

The show itself is called Open Book, but you can find it in iTunes under BBC Radio Four - Books and Authors. Or go to the website below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qp6p

If you do listen, let me know what you think. But if you like the Guardian, I think that you will like this also.

Sarah

message 16: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments Thanks you so much for introducing me to the Enthusiasticast! These guys are great. While I won't necessarily read everything they recommend (they tend to skew towards cyberpunk), I love listening to them get excited over something really awesome in a book. I also enjoy that they cover other topics as well, like movies and pop culture. Their enthusiasm is contagious! I definitely recommend this, unless you are morally opposed to cuss words, because they use them freely. If you're looking for a good episode to listen to, I would definitely say the ep that they talked about the movie Inception, unless you haven't seen it, in which case AVOID because it is spoiler-heavy. That episode is the epitome of enthusiasm.

message 17: by Constant (new)

Constant | 1 comments Also check out The Agony Column:

http://www.bookotron.com/agony/index....

Great website for reviews and podcasts of sf/fantasy authors.

message 18: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 41 comments A couple of other book podcasts that I wanted to mention. For mystery & crime fans, the Behind the Black Mask podcast is one of the best author interview podcasts or audio shows I've ever heard. Sadly, the podcast is now defunct, but there are 28 great episodes available - http://btbm.libsyn.com/

Also, Tor.com has a very good science fiction and fantasy podcast, featuring interviews with authors - the Geek's Guide to the Galaxy podcast - http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/05/geek...

Enjoy!

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I like "All About Books." You can find it on iTunes.

message 20: by Shona (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) | 178 comments Callie wrote: "Thanks you so much for introducing me to the Enthusiasticast! These guys are great. While I won't necessarily read everything they recommend (they tend to skew towards cyberpunk), I love listening ..."

I started listening to the Enthusiasticast podcasts and they were all right, until they talked very negatively about one of my favorite books of all time - The Book of Joe - they both hated it with a passion. I was so irritated I deleted the episode and haven't listened to them again. Perhaps I overreacted a little :) I know we all don't like the same books, but don't you get a little bit defensive about a book you absolutely love???

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Shona wrote: "I started listening to the Enthusiasticast podcasts and they were all right, until they talked very negatively about one of my favorite books of all time - The Book of Joe - they both hated it with a passion. I was so irritated I deleted the episode and haven't listened to them again. Perhaps I overreacted a little :) I know we all don't like the same books, but don't you get a little bit defensive about a book you absolutely love??? "

Absolutely! I have"line-in-the-sand" books that work both ways: I adore a book to obsessive levels and the reviewer doesn't and/or; I hate a book with unmitigated passion and the reviewer raves about it. That's when I realize that particular reviewer and I are way off base and not a good match.

message 22: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments Shona wrote: "Callie wrote: "Thanks you so much for introducing me to the Enthusiasticast! These guys are great. While I won't necessarily read everything they recommend (they tend to skew towards cyberpunk), I ..."

Shona, I totally get defensive too, and not just abput books/movies/music I love, but also ones that I hate. Especially when it's presented as "you must be a moron not to love this book"., or some variation thereof. I will argue my case ibcessantly. I am also an overly passionate person (some might say overly opinionated), so that happens quite a bit, I'm sorry to say.

But definitely give the Enthusiasticast another chance! They are so entertaining!

message 23: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 330 comments I'm also going to put in a plug for giving Enthusiasticast another chance. I really have liked the two I listened to. They also have a blog.

Actually, I liked all of the shows Ann and Michael recommended and I'm going to check out BookSlam. I would subscribe to them all if I weren't already desperately trying to clean my iPod off every week. I couldn't resist Do Nothing But Read and had to subscribe to it. The rest I just dip in and out of.

I do understand about taking book criticism personally. I read that Harold Bloom criticized John Steinbeck and mocked the Nobel Committee for awarding him the prize. I decided Harold Bloom was my nemesis! Although, he was already on my wack list for saying a Cormac McCarthy novel was the book of the century.

(see, now some Cormac McCarthy fan hates me :)

message 24: by Shona (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) | 178 comments Vanessa wrote: "I'm also going to put in a plug for giving Enthusiasticast another chance. I really have liked the two I listened to. They also have a blog.

Actually, I liked all of the shows Ann and Michael reco..."

LOL! So I did get the Enthusiasticasts another try and just skimmed over the part where he hated The Book of Joe and now have listened to almost all the podcasts are available on Itunes. I must say that I'm glad I gave them another chance and now I have a little bit of a crush on them :)

message 25: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 330 comments Shona wrote: I have a little bit of a crush on them :)

I know! I listened to all of those shows and thought, "How do I get these people to be my friends?"

I think I'm also the only person who has a crush on Sam Tanenhaus, the editor of the NYT Book Review.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments Vanessa wrote: "Shona wrote: I have a little bit of a crush on them :)

I know! I listened to all of those shows and thought, "How do I get these people to be my friends?"

I think I'm also the only person who..."

Oh, no you're not! I love to listen to Sam Tanenhaus. I guess I will give the Enthusiasticast guys another chance. In the podcast I listened to, they spent the first twenty minutes ranting about some other podcaster being asked to leave a plane because he was too heavy. Do they actually get around to talking about books?

message 27: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 330 comments Melissa wrote: Oh, no you're not! I love to listen to Sam Tanenhaus.

I can get all ZOMG school girly listening to him. He's literate AND has a...pleasant voice.

message 28: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments Melissa wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Shona wrote: I have a little bit of a crush on them :)

I think I'm also the onl..."

You definitely should check out the show notes to see a general outline of topics covered. I actually found the stuff about Kevin Smith to be interesting for the role social media played in the incident, but to each their own. If you've seen the movie Inception, I would recommend the podcast where they talk about it. Their giddiness is infectious!

message 29: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2764 comments Mod
Vanessa wrote: I think I'm also the only person who..."

Uh uh, me, too!

message 30: by Vanessa (last edited Oct 06, 2010 12:07PM) (new)

Vanessa | 330 comments So, oops. I got so giddy about my pretend boyfriend Sam Tanenhaus (why should I not be surprised I'm not the only one in this group crushing on a book reviewer?) I didn't answer your question, Melissa. Yes they do talk about books on Enthusiasticast but they can veer into pop culture discussions. I don't mind that.

Their podcast on Battle Royale was really interesting. My Goodreads friend Misty was reading it and I had never heard of it. Apparently, it's like a 1990's Japanese version of The Hunger Games in a nutshell. The movie version of it is one of Quentin Tarantino's top 10 favorites. They do a good job of disgressing but not veering off the rails if that makes sense.

message 31: by Kate (last edited Oct 06, 2010 11:35AM) (new)

Kate | 269 comments Love, love love Sam Tanenhaus. The New York Times Book Review Podcast has been a long time favorite once I figured out how to download. Also have listened to several episodes of The Reading and Writing Podcast with Jeff Rutherford. I seem to enjoy it even if the author is unkown or writes a genre I don't usually read. Jeff asks great questions.

message 32: by Libby (new)

Libby (libbyw) | 131 comments Thanks to Jennifer and Sarah for mentioning The Guardian podcast. I'm enjoying past episodes that I downloaded through iTunes. And I learned a new phrase: marmite book. In two of the podcasts this term was used to describe a book that readers either love or hate. Last year I stayed at a London B&B with a stocked kitchen where guests made their own breakfast. I tried marmite on toast one morning and didn't care for it but I could see how I'd probably like it if I'd grown up eating it.

message 33: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 330 comments Libby wrote: Thanks to Jennifer and Sarah for mentioning The Guardian podcast.

Not a do it yourself podcast either but the BBC's Open Book (listed as Books and Authors from some reason by iTunes) is also good. It's not as cheeky as The Guardian and a little too highbrow sometimes for me (well, duh. It's the BBC.) But I like it.

The Guardian increased my awareness of things like recognition for translators, the Hay Festival and all of the British literary prizes.

message 34: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 1 comments Hi, I'm new to this site and the podcast, so I'm not sure I'm posting my comment to the right thread. I wanted to add to the list of reads for other listeners. It's an oldie but goody that I never hear much about...."The Night People" by Jack Finney. I absolute love that book. I actually love Finney in general, but this story is one of the few that I have went back and reread. Happy reading!

message 35: by Nicky (new)

Nicky Williams (nickywilliams123) | 5 comments Hi,
Regarding your request for great book pod casts, here in England, we are lagging behind in the quality of book groups on pod casts, but the few we have are excellent, and well worth listening to!

A) BBC Radio 4 Books and Authors. (a weekly pod cast I think)
B) The Guardian Books (Guardian.co.uk)
C) Guardian children's books ( brand new pod cast, for children and teens, excellent pod casts for adults to listen to too!)
D) The Penguin Books UK pod cast. ( many shows recorded, not sure if they are still recording?)
E) Richard and Judy book club (Richard and Judy were high in British TV. They have had a few serious/social TV programs which they did together. Part of one of their late afternoon shows included book reviews. I think they produced one of the first tv book review show here on British TV.
I think while they were producing this show, the pod casts were produced, I think, but they are no longer on tv, and their pod casts have also stopped. They are still reviewing books, as certain books here, have stickers on them identifying them as part of their top books.)
F) BBC world book club, which has been mentioned by another member.

I check every couple of weeks to see new book review pod cast world wide. I think there are over 130 to choose from. It's picking out the best and letting everyone else know which is great!!
It would be fantastic if people from around the world could record here, their countries best book pod casts??
Many thanks
Nicky Williams