Murder in Italy: Amanda Knox, Meredith Kercher and the Murder Trial that Shocked the World Murder in Italy discussion

There are 4 books about this case. which is the best?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

♥ Marlene♥ Hi there. I hope someone can help me.
Looking on amazon I see there are 4 books written about this case (a case I know nothing about which i prefer before reading) and they all ahve not such good reviews.

We have Murder in Italy: which has 4 stars out of 45 reviews but many people give it a 1 star as well.

Angel Face by Barbie Latza Nadeau which has 3 out of 35 reviews

and The Murder of Meredith Kercher by Gary C. King which has only 3 reviews though and so far 2 stars but that does not say much.

Darkness Descending which has 3 stars out of 7
I would love to read aboutt his case but which book should I buy? The last one is out of print?

Normally I would say Gary C King's book but I am now thinking I might go for the book with the most stars which is Murder in Italy.
Did you read any of the 4 books and without spoiling please was it good?

message 2: by Candace (last edited Sep 07, 2010 11:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Candace Dempsey Hi Marlene,

I'm the award-winning, Italian-American author of Murder in Italy. It comes well recommended by Kate Veitch and others. I hope you'll give my book a shot. It was a labor of love that took me more than 2 years.

I followed the case from Perugia and Seattle (Amanda Knox's hometown, where I live) from the very beginning on my seattlepi.com blog. I was also in the courtroom many times and had access to autopsy reports, court transcripts, wiretaps, diaries and numerous other documents. I met with Amanda's friends and family in Seattle and interviewed the key players in Perugia for defense and prosecution.

You can read a review with me here that just came out today on Seattlest.
http://seattlest.com/2010/09/07/an_in...

You can also visit my case blog
http://blog.seattlepi.com/dempsey

P.S. Personally, I have read all the books on the case! It's fascinating.

message 3: by Stephen (last edited Mar 12, 2011 10:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephen I read two of them. Murder in Italy and Angel Face. I preferred Murder in Italy as I thought it gave a more non-biased view of the evidence and had a better layout of events sequentially.

Candace Dempsey Thank you, Stephen! I spent 3 years writing that book and I wanted it to unfold like a mystery novel--but be grounded in fact.

You have made my day!

Melissa I read Murder in Italy and loved it! It does mention the other book Angel Face and that the author attended the trial.

Candace Dempsey Thanks Melissa, lovely to hear. Yes, I was also at the trial. I will never forget the night of the verdict, which came down at midnight. The anguish of the parents, from victim to suspects, was very dramatic and hard to watch.

Melissa Thank you for the book! Is there a part 2 coming soon? I'd love to know how Amanda is handling prison and the slander trial coming up in the fall.

message 8: by Candace (last edited May 20, 2011 10:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Candace Dempsey Funny that you ask! So far I haven't planned a second book, but I have continued to blog. Who knows, the way book publishing is going right now, I could always do a mini-ebook, ala Susan Orlean.

You can catch the latest on my blog. http://blog.seattlepi.com/dempsey
Murder in Italy's Facebook.
http://on.fb.me/ffMlDm

Melissa Thanks so much for the blog info! Can't wait to check it out. I'll be waiting for the next book:)

♥ Marlene♥ I thought Murder in Italy was way too biased. it was all in favour of Amanda Knox. I hate biased books so I am sorry Candace,just being honest. I did not like it at all. Could not even finish it.

Melissa ♥ Marlene♥ wrote: "I thought Murder in Italy was way too biased. it was all in favour of Amanda Knox. I hate biased books so I am sorry Candace,just being honest. I did not like it at all. Could not even finish it."

I had to put the book down twice too. Then I spent 3 hours nonstop one day researching the case online. I found that Candace presented all of the facts from various sources in the most organized way. The British, Japanese, and American viewpoints all end up with the same conclusion. The evidence, or lack there of, really does speak for itself.

Have you seen the Lifetime movie version?

message 12: by Candace (last edited Oct 29, 2011 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Candace Dempsey Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito were acquitted on Oct.3,2011. I have written an epilogue. MURDER IN ITALY will be reprinted soon with the new ending. I predicted in my book that the former lovers would be acquitted if the judge allowed independent review of the DNA evidence and that's what happened.

Another factor in the acquittals is that key witness Antonio Curatola flamed out in court, admitting he was high on heroin the night he claimed to see Amanda and Raffaele near the murder scene. He then changed nights, describing Halloween costumes and disco buses that didn't run on Nov. 1, the night of the murder.

Judge Claudio Pratillo Hellmann acquitted Amanda and Raffaele, using Article 533 of the Italian penal code, meaning there is no evidence that they committed the crimes. This is a higher standard than "insufficient evidence," which he could have used to release them. His motivations report is due 90 days after the verdict.

He acquitted the defendants of:
1. Murder
2.Staging a burglary
3. Transporting a weapon
4. Sexual assault

Only the slander charge against Amanda still stands. She got 3 years, but had already served 4. The prosecution plans to appeal once it receives the judge's motivations. It concedes that Amanda Knox will never be be extradited from the U.S.,where she returned right after the verdict. The slander charge against Amanda could be overturned if she can prove thatshe was in fact hit during the interrogation and that her statement against Patrick Lumumba was coerced.

Raffaele Sollecito is back home in Bari,Italy; Amanda in Seattle, Washington.

Both students plan to complete their educations.

You can follow events on my blog http://blog.seattlepi.com/dempsey/

Stephen I recently read also that Meredith's family is suing Amanda Knox for $12 million which is the sum that the Italy court assess damages at. I still can't understand why Rudy Guede just doesn't come out and declare that Amanda and Raffaele were not involved. I mean he had his sentence reduced to 16 years.

Candace Dempsey The Kercher family recently said that they hadn't intended to ask for $12 million or any money from Amanda, that the $12 million is a hoax. Rudy Guede has never admitted that he stabbed Meredith, so he can't simply absolve the other two.

Stephen Oh, OK/ I didn't read that about the hoax. That's good. Makes sense then that Guede wouldn't absolve them if he won't admit his own involvement in the crime but really his DNA was all over the place there. It's rather difficult to not think he had primary involvement in her murder. Running to Germany doesn't help his innocent stance.

Candace Dempsey Rudy, by his own admission, took bloody pants and shoes to Germany, where he dumped them. That will get you convicted of murder in any court in the world.