Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's Aug-2010 Books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments I had six very good books this month.
Cemetery Road (gritty Los Angeles)
The Mapping of Love and Death (WWI aftermath)
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (a second point of view)
Hell Gate (NYC history tidbits)
61 Hours (frigid cold suspense)
False Mermaid: A Novel (Lyrical Irish lore)
Haywood, Gar Anthony Cemetery Road finished 8/1/2010 Ranking 9 of 10 An intimate look at Los Angeles from the eyes and experiences of a former resident who sees the before and after portrait of a version of Los Angeles not often portrayed, not the glitter of Tinsel town, or the glamour of celebrity, but the gritty reality that many black residents experienced.
Winspear, Jacqueline The Mapping of Love and Death finished 8/13/2010 Ranking 9++ of 10 Maisie is an ever evolving and interesting character and the WWI aftermath and history are a big draw - how the first Great War affected the people in the UK for years afterwards and the lives of women in the workplace of that time are very interesting, as are the mysteries that are solved in each book.
Meyer, Stephenie The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner finished 8/15/2010 Ranking 9- of 10 Stephenie Meyer has a very interesting way with writing about the same events from different points of view, adding to the dimensions of the story and enhancing the reader's understanding of the world she has created.
Fairstein, Linda Hell Gate finished 8/13/2010 Audio Ranking 9 of 10 Human trafficking and crimes against women were disturbing and bleak while the historical aspect of the mansions was not as compelling as some others in the series. I still enjoy visiting Alexandra's view of NYC and getting the flavor and history along with a good mystery.
Child, Lee 61 Hours Finished 8/3/2010 Audio Ranking 9 of 10 Extreme cold, extreme situations, on the edge of your seat action as usual, the entire book was one big set-up to a ticking time bomb of a denouement.
Hart, Erin False Mermaid Finished 8/31/2010 Ranking 9 of 10 Lyrical, thoughtful and steeped in the history of Ireland's peat bogs and fairy legends, with cross continental and time-spanning investigations into cold case murders and women's disappearances.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3587 comments Good month, Ann! Gar Anthony Haywood had a series with a character named Aaron Gunner that I really liked. Will have to check into CEMETERY ROAD.

message 3: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Cemetery Road does look specially good. Six out of six good ones for you - now that is a great month!!

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments GAH attended at least on B-Con that I went to. It was a treat to see him. I keep meaning to read him.

Good month, Ann!

Melodie wrote: "Good month, Ann! Gar Anthony Haywood had a series with a character named Aaron Gunner that I really liked. Will have to check into CEMETERY ROAD."

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1598 comments Wow! All "9's"...great month Ann!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Melodie, Marcy and Carol:
This was my first Gar Anthony Haywood book and I will look for more - thank s for the tip on the Gunner series!
Melodie wrote: "Good month, Ann! Gar Anthony Haywood had a series with a character named Aaron Gunner that I really liked. Will have to check into CEMETERY ROAD."

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments A 9+ month...well done!