Nature Calls discussion

Group Member Writing

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccakoconnor) | 21 comments Mod
This is an excerpt (very short) from my falconry memoir, LIFT, which is pending publication from Red Hen Press.

http://narrativemagazine.com/content/...

Narrative is a great online magazine and often has writing by Rick Bass, who is a nature writer I admire a great deal.

Anyone else have some writing that has been published online to share??

message 2: by Tom Chandler (new)

Tom Chandler | 5 comments Rebecca: I liked the short piece you published in Narrative. I've poked around the site quite a bit. It's an interesting online site, though requiring .pdf downloads for some of the stories seems a little antiquated.

I write several blogs, including the #1 fly fishing blog. It's a great deal of work, but I can't help but notice it provides a stunning platform for launching a self-published book.

Given the largely dismal sales numbers for new fly fishing essay books (a small market), traditional publishing simply won't pay off. Self-publishing to my readership could provide a decent return for my effort.

So while I didn't fire up my TroutUnderground.com blog with a book in mind, it has become a consideration.

Do you consider blogs online publishing?

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccakoconnor) | 21 comments Mod
Tom: I consider blogs a fantastic platform for ultimately creating a book. The memoir I wrote in grad school about my first season with a peregrine couldn't have been written without the blog I kept that season.

Blogs are a great way to find good nature-writing as well. I follow quite a few that focus on falconry, working dogs and other outdoor passions. And many of these writers have become friends I've met in person. I feel very fortunate to fancy myself a nature writer in a time like this! Good luck with your blog and the book that will follow!

message 4: by Debby (new)

Debby | 2 comments Do you know any blogs that pertain to getting rid of a lawn and putting in native plants. I'm doing this and seem to need some experieced feedback. Debby

message 5: by Marian (new)

Marian (gramma) | 4 comments Debby
Can't think of any bloggers, but if you want to grow native plants, a good thing to do is visit natural areas, parks, preserves, in your vicinity & take notes on what is growing there. If you have a park system that is staffed with naturalists, talking to them would also help get you started.
I was in a discussion in another site about getting rid of sod by covering it with layers of wet newspapers & mulch. I've tried this & it works.