Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general & ongoing) > Your favorite read of August!

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 247 comments I can't believe it is already September! How did that happen?!? :)

So tell me.... what was your favorite read of August?!? Try anything new to mix things up? Or did you stick inside your comfort zone this month? Any good recommendations? Any fun surprises? What was the absolute best???

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2010 11:03AM) (new)

Fran | 11051 comments favorites for August- Duncan's Bride (Duncan & Evangeline, #1) by Linda Howard , The Book Thief by Markus Zusak , Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3) by MaryJanice Davidson , Skin Game (Skin, #1) by Ava Gray , Charming the Prince (Fairy Tales, #1) by Teresa Medeiros

The Book Thief was the best- ripped my heart out- wonderful, emotional journey. Duncan's Bride was a sweet love story and I love the feisty, smart heroine. Skin Game was a gritty page-turner. Undead and Unappreciated my fav so far of the series- a little more serious but still funny.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) My favourite book this month had nothing to do with romance. It was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. And, despite the title--there was nothing at all paranormal about the book. Basically, in 1951 a young black woman named Henrietta Lacks died of cervical cancer. Before her death, some of her cells were harvested without her knowledge or permission. Those cells have been cultured and grown and STILL LIVE. They are the HeLa (if you're in any of the science fields, you've probably used some of them, even if you didn't know it) Human Tissue Cultures. This book tells about Henrietta, the contributions her cells have made (many of the modern medical break-throughs were made possible thanks to these cultures.) But it also tells about her family--who didn't find out for 20 years that the cells had been taken and used.

message 4: by Desperado (last edited Sep 02, 2010 08:49PM) (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 822 comments August was a much better month than June & July! I only had a few epic fails.

Favorite Reads of August: Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1) by Jennifer Rardin Soul Enchilada by David Macinnis Gill Demon Angel (The Guardians, #1) by Meljean Brook Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2) by Patricia Briggs The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5) by Gena Showalter

Big Disappointments of August: Gentlemen Prefer Succubi (Succubus Diaries, #1) by Jill Myles Tainted (The Blood Lily Chronicles, #1) by Julie Kenner Shadow of the Vampire by Meagan Hatfield

I did read something outside of my comfort zone this month, Storm Front. I usually don't read novels where a man is the main protagonist & I've never read an UF novel with one. I ended up liking it just fine & I'm excited to read the next book in the Dresden Files series.

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 957 comments Favorite Reads:
Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa Winter's Passage (Iron Fey, #1.5) by Julie Kagawa Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

Not bad Reads:
Shade (Shade, #1) by Jeri Smith-Ready Blood Feud (The Drake Chronicles, #2) by Alyxandra Harvey Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

Disappointments:
The Education of Bet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted The Secret Year by Jennifer Hubbard

message 6: by Melinda (last edited Sep 02, 2010 10:07PM) (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 766 comments My favorite of this month was
Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey

I didn't enjoy
Three To Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) by Janet Evanovich

message 7: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments I love hearing about everyone's favorite reads of the month! The Endearment was by far my best read of August. LaVyrle Spencer is becoming a fav of mine.

The Endearment by LaVyrle Spencer

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (Smiley1881) Favorite Reads:
Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)  by Richelle Mead Call of the Wilds (Siren Publishing Classic) by Gale Stanley

Disappointment:
Safe Surrender by Kristin Daniels

message 9: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I didn't get to read that many books in August, but I had a few good ones.

Top Favorite of the Month: The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #1) by Jennifer Ashley by Jennifer Ashley. This is due to the uniqueness of her hero and giving him an equally likable heroine. Great book.

Book that delivered what it promised: Holiday in Death (In Death, #7) by J.D. Robb by JD Robb. As always, another satisfying tale. I just enjoy hanging out with Eve and her team, and of course, the sexy, enigmatic Roarke.

Not-my-usual-Read: Venetia by Georgette Heyer by Georgette Heyer. My first book for this author, and one I wouldn't have read if it wasn't a Pick-it-For-Me Challenge book. It turned out to be delightful after I got the hang of reading her style of prose.

Disappointing Read: Highlander Unbound (Lockhart Family, #1) by Julia London by Julia London. I realized after reading this book that I prefer my fictional Highlanders to be presented in their local setting, not taken out of it, and thrown into, say London, and made to appear like a bungling, country bumpkin. This book didn't do anything for me at all.

message 10: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments My favorites this month were The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley and Eternal Kiss of Darkness by Jeaniene Frost. I really enjoyed the female protagonists in both books. Although I'm not a huge fan of first person POV, Flavia was pitch perfect as a precocious genius of an eleven year old; and I really enjoyed the 1950's English countryside setting. I enjoyed the first book so much, I went out and bought the hardback (and I very rarely buy hardbacks) copy of the second book rather than waiting for the PB.

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri (brookfield) mine ashes in the wind for the 4th time i read it .Can anyone tell me how you put the picture of the book when you post something. I am not that computer savy????? thanks

message 12: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments My favorite book in August was The Fiery Cross. I also really enjoyed The Hunger Games, but the sequel Catching Fire was inferior.

Surprisingly good (although very depressing) was Looking for Mr Goodbar.

Disappointing reads were The Last Summer and Never Let Me Go (I wonder if Never Let Me Go was a letdown based on the fact that I already knew what the "shocking twist" was. (That's what I get for reading spoilers. Someday I will learn!)

message 13: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments Terri wrote: "mine ashes in the wind for the 4th time i read it .Can anyone tell me how you put the picture of the book when you post something. I am not that computer savy????? thanks"

Terri, click on "add book/author," search for your book, choose "link" or "cover" at the bottom of the dialog box, then click "add."

message 14: by Gloria (new)

Gloria (gloriastz) | 25 comments My favorite reads for August:
Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2) by Richelle Mead The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas Perfect (Pretty Little Liars, #3) by Sara Shepard

Didn't like at all:
Tartuffe (Drama Classics) by Molière

Not very good:
Hamlet by William Shakespeare The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

message 15: by Melissa (last edited Sep 03, 2010 07:55AM) (new)

Melissa | 1243 comments Five Star Reads in August:
The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen Castle of the Wolf by Sandra Schwab
I have loved all of Sarah Addison Allen's books so I wasn't surprised that The Girl Who Chased the Moon was great. I had never read anything by Sandra Schwab and only chose Castle of the Wolf because it fit into a challenge. Needless to say, I was VERY happy I found this book and will definitely be reading more by her. It's not even my usual type of book, but I loved it and it's exciting when a book surprises me.

Big Disappointment:
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner An Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer
Guess I'm over Twilight. Oh well. It was good while it lasted.

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin H | 758 comments Not many of my August reads were that fantastic. I'm going to have to go with Under Her Skin (Lone Star Sisters, #1) by Susan Mallery because I thought it was a very funny read :)

message 17: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments August was pretty good for me! A lot of good books and no disappointments. :)

FAVORITES
Slow Heat in Heaven by Sandra BrownEmma by Jane AustenDark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. WardBlood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia BriggsIron Kissed (Mercedes Thompson, #3) by Patricia BriggsRough, Raw and Ready (Rough Riders, #5) by Lorelei James

message 18: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1723 comments August was a really good reading month for me. Everything was 4-5 stars with one only exception.

My favorite read: "The Story of Son" by J.R. Ward
Dead After Dark (Includes Dark-Hunter Novella #17.1)  by Sherrilyn Kenyon

My other keepers:
Sandstorms (Black Gold, #1, #2, #4) by Ann Jacobs It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton

My only disappointment:
Nightcap (Harlequin Blaze #394) (Those Sexy O'Sullivans, #3) by Kathleen O'Reilly

message 19: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 247 comments I just love, love, love reading about everyone's favorites and disappointments! Thank you all for sharing! :)

No big 5 star reads for me this month. But I did really enjoy both Rode Hard, Put Up Wet and The Sheik. Hard to say which was best, both really good in different ways.

Unfortunately I am not so sure I am digging the In death series lately :( Listened to Betrayal in Death and Seduction in Death and both were a little disappointing. I feel like the murder mystery element has been really solid in most of these books, but in the last couple that side of it has gone down hill for me. Still love Eve and the gang, they keep me going, but I think the author is giving away to much about the killers. Getting in their heads to the point where I know to much and it's not really exciting when Eve start to figure the crime out. I'm a little bummed but I am still going to give the next one a try.

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess | 130 comments August was an interesting month for me. I got the chance to read so many books because my husband got me a Nook. Reading is crazy fast with it and I'm loving it!

Favorites

Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Expected More

Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong

Disappointing

Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3) by Dan Brown

message 21: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "August was a really good reading month for me. Everything was 4-5 stars with one only exception.

My favorite read: "The Story of Son" by J.R. Ward
[bookcover:Dead After Dark (Includes: Dark-Hunter..."

Julie- I can't believe I forgot about Story of Son! I loved that story too and definitely put it right up there with the best of the month. Glad to hear you liked Just A Geek- I want to read that one.

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) | 67 comments Favorites:

Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) by Kresley Cole Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins

Expected more:

Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

Disappointing:
Claiming the Courtesan by Anna Campbell

message 23: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1723 comments Fran wrote: "Julie- I can't believe I forgot about Story of Son! I loved that story too and definitely put it right up there with the best of the month. Glad to hear you liked Just A Geek- I want to read that one. "

The Story of Son was soooo good I'd give it more than 5 stars if I could. I loved it every bit as much as the BDB.:-)

Just a Geek was a really fun, out-of-the-ordinary read filled with humor and emotion. Highly recommended for fans of Wil Wheaton's blog, Star Trek or geeks in general.:-)

message 24: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ Favorites:
Private Scandals by Nora Roberts Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs The Treasure Keeper (Drakon, #4) by Shana Abé

Dissapointing:
Running Wild (Wild, #1, #2, & #3) by Sarah McCarty Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger I think I was just expecting more from this one.

message 25: by Karen ~ Divhine (new)

Karen ~ Divhine (karenjs) Favorites:
Rapture Untamed (Feral Warriors, #4) by Pamela Palmer In the Flesh (Sapphire Series, #1) by Livia Dare Nauti and Wild (Includes Wild Riders, #4; Nauti, #6) by Lora Leigh Here Kitty, Kitty! (Magnus Pack, #3) by Shelly Laurenston

Disappointing:
Men of Danger (Includes Wounded Warriors, #2) by Lora Leigh
Two stories good (Leigh and Garnier)
One DNF (Grant)
Last one so so (O'Clare)

message 26: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) The only book I gave 5 stars to was Comfort Food by Kitty Thomas .

But I also enjoyed:
The Last Stormlord (Watergivers, #1) by Glenda Larke The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5) by Gena Showalter A Mermaid's Kiss (Daughters of Arianne, #1) by Joey W. Hill Watership Down by Richard Adams Percival's Planet A Novel by Michael Byers

message 27: by Jasmin (new)

message 28: by Kim (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) Mr. Murder and Knit One, Kill Two were pretty good. Daddy's Little Girl wasn't too impressive for me.

message 29: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 | 588 comments My favorite read for August was The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

message 30: by Kim (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) southpaw285 wrote: "My favorite read for August was The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield"

I've got that waiting for me someplace. LOL

message 31: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 1339 comments 90 books in August, and my favorites were...
Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World, #2) by Jeaniene Frost Exposure by Susan Andersen Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5) by Lisa Kleypas Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3) by Lisa Kleypas A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks Shadow Music (Highlands' Lairds, #3) by Julie Garwood It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips Passion  by Lisa Valdez The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld, #4) by Gena Showalter Something About You by Julie James Secret Life of Bryan by Lori Foster Shut Up and Kiss Me by Christie Craig

Surprisingly good
The Assignment (Assignment, #1) by Evangeline Anderson

Disappointing
Tanner by Norah Hess and Sinjin by Julia Templeton

message 32: by Gigi (last edited Sep 11, 2010 07:59AM) (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments 90 BOOKS!!! Melanie, you're my hero! lol That's awesome!

message 33: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 1339 comments Gigi wrote: "90 BOOKS!!! Melanie, you're my hero! lol That's awesome!"

Lol:-) thx... But I spent at least 6hrs a day reading, if not more:-)

message 34: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 18 comments I read the Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead and they turned out to be, not surprisingly, fantastic. I love all of Mead's work and this series was no exception. I always love when an author can make me so attached to characters that I'm always sad to lose them when I'm done.

message 35: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) my favorite read was Midnight Crystal by Jayne Castle Midnight Crystal (Dreamlight Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #9; Harmony, #7) by Jayne Castle

disappointing was A Summer to Remember by Mary Balogh A Summer to Remember (Slightly prequel #2) by Mary Balogh

message 36: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 254 comments My favorite read from August was Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews . I also read the entire Vampire Academy series, which I did like too.