Akins AP Lang & Comp - Hollis 8 discussion

Setting

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ty (new)

Ty Wade | 4 comments now i know its a rather basic question, but i havent been able to figure out which one of the colonies that Hester resides in.

Thanks,

T.Wade

message 2: by Laina (last edited Sep 03, 2010 03:45PM) (new)

Laina | 1 comments In chapter 4, I was wondering about the husbands response to finding out his wife was a skank. I cant tell if he's upset or if he's just curious about who this mystery guy is... ?

message 3: by Kailey (new)

Kailey | 6 comments The first two chapters were kind of confusing to me. I know that her punishment was to stand infront of the townspeeople with the red A on her chest, but since they were talking about the prison, did she spend time in prison too?

message 4: by Kailey (new)

Kailey | 6 comments Oh, and Ty, I think they're in Massachusetts.

message 5: by Rosiana (new)

Rosiana (gooreadscomrosiana_murti) | 3 comments yeah she spent time in prison with her kid that's why she's in trial with the governor and those other ppl asking her who is the father of her child, I think

message 6: by Rosiana (new)

Rosiana (gooreadscomrosiana_murti) | 3 comments the phsycian is hester prynne's father right? So do you guys think that he gave poison to hester or no? Cuz she didn't drank his so called "medicine"

message 7: by Rosiana (new)

Rosiana (gooreadscomrosiana_murti) | 3 comments hester's husband* sorry

message 8: by Logan (new)

Logan Barnes | 5 comments Ty wrote: "now i know its a rather basic question, but i havent been able to figure out which one of the colonies that Hester resides in.

Thanks,

T.Wade"

Puritans

message 9: by Logan (new)

Logan Barnes | 5 comments Ty wrote: "now i know its a rather basic question, but i havent been able to figure out which one of the colonies that Hester resides in.

Thanks,

T.Wade"

Salem Massachusetts

message 10: by Logan (new)

Logan Barnes | 5 comments Who do y'all think the father of Pearl is?

message 11: by Ty (new)

Ty Wade | 4 comments Kailey wrote: "The first two chapters were kind of confusing to me. I know that her punishment was to stand infront of the townspeeople with the red A on her chest, but since they were talking about the prison, ..."

the lady was considered "royalty" in a retrospective. she did serve time in jail (read further into the book) if you recall back to some of the readings in history, many of the punishments were based off of public humility. A, in this case, stood for "Adultery" which was a crime. so instead of hanging her head in shame in the "stoning post", she walked around wearing the Scarlet "A"

message 12: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Trevino i really like this book! i find Hester's situation rather depressing though :*( i love the descriptions that this book gives like the description about the prison!!
my only question is to why that mysterious figure (i think it's Hester's husband) gestures to Hester and doesn't wish to show himself

message 13: by Patrina (new)

Patrina R. | 3 comments Ohkay. So I was wondering does anyone think it is kind of weird that Reverend Dimmesdale didn't try that hard to get Hester to reveal her lover's identity?

message 14: by Patrina (new)

Patrina R. | 3 comments Ty wrote: "now i know its a rather basic question, but i havent been able to figure out which one of the colonies that Hester resides in.

Thanks,

T.Wade"

i believe it is Salem and Concord, Massachusetts

message 15: by Patrina (new)

Patrina R. | 3 comments Jesse wrote: "i really like this book! i find Hester's situation rather depressing though :*( i love the descriptions that this book gives like the description about the prison!!
my only question is to why that..."

I personally believe it's because he has a secret identity, or a secret. I say this because if I found out that my wife had a baby by another man, I would stand up and comfort her about it. That's just my opinion.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Rourke | 4 comments If everyone thinks Hester's husband is dead why is such a big deal that she had a baby with someone else? I think that she should be able to go on with her life and if she wants kids that her business.

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Rourke | 4 comments Patrina wrote: "Ohkay. So I was wondering does anyone think it is kind of weird that Reverend Dimmesdale didn't try that hard to get Hester to reveal her lover's identity?"

I think he knows that she is not going to speak so theres really no point in pushing her any farther with revealing him to everyone.

message 18: by Cristian (new)

Cristian | 5 comments This book is pretty interesting, but the words can get kind of confusing. My question is pretty similar to everyone else's. Who is the husband for Hester? Could it the short dude that they were describing in Chapter 3 I think it was?

message 19: by Cristian (new)

Cristian | 5 comments Oh yeah Kailey's right I believe on the setting of the book. I believe its Massachusetts.

message 20: by Logan (new)

Logan Barnes | 5 comments Why did Roger Prynne change his name to Roger Chillingworth?

message 21: by Logan (new)

Logan Barnes | 5 comments Cristian wrote: "This book is pretty interesting, but the words can get kind of confusing. My question is pretty similar to everyone else's. Who is the husband for Hester? Could it the short dude that they were des..."

I think the husband for Hester should be Reverend Dimmesdale, because Roger is the symbol of evil

message 22: by Kailey (new)

Kailey | 6 comments Christian, I think the husband for Hester is Roger Chillingworth because when he was the doctor for her while she was in prison, they talked about it. Hester wouldnt reveal the identity of Pearl's father, so he asked her to keep his secret of being her husband from everyone else in the town as well. And Logan, I think he changed his name because he was afraid of the consequences of being her husband. He didnt want everyone to know who he was just in case people turned on him as well.

message 23: by Kailey (new)

Kailey | 6 comments Also, I have a lot of respect for Hester staying in New England. She believed that the everyday torture of living there would cleanse her soul and make her pure again. But does anyone else think its weird that although everyone looks down upon her for her sin, they all wear garments she made? Such as the sashes that the military men wore, the minister's armband, hats for babies and some other things.

message 24: by Cristian (new)

Cristian | 5 comments I think it is Roger. This is book describes the "demon baby" pretty well. It has some good back up causes for the nickname. Does anyone think that the baby will become normal?

message 25: by Ty (new)

Ty Wade | 4 comments So, for those who have read through, I tihnk it was at chapt 22, why is it the new minister type person failed to acknowledge Hester and Dimmsdale in Public? didnt he like hold out his hands for pearl earlier? im somewhat confused on what the motives for the new guy are.