Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Movies and TV Talk > Do you remember those made for TV horror movies from the 70s and 80s?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 141 (141 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 1343 comments Mod
I really miss those.

Some I enjoyed:

The Initiation of Sara
Kingdom of Spiders
Stranger in My House
The one with the Black Widow spider lady. I think Phil told me the name before and I forgot it again.

There was also one with a vampire lady and David Naughton from An American Werewolf in London. He was the only one who knew she was a vampire and nobody believed him.

Can you think of some?

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I loved The Initiation of Sara. Morgan Fairchild was the queen bitch of the '70s. I think I hated her in every role after that, good guy or bad guy.

I can't think of any, but I probably watched most of them.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 7 comments You forgot two of my favorites: Grizzly and Killdozer.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Was The Swarm made-for-TV? I remember '70s entertainment as being very disaster-driven. Towering Inferno. Poseidon Adventure. Earthquake. I saw these on TV, so I can't remember if they were at the movies first.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 1343 comments Mod
I don't think I've seen those, Scott.

Anyone remember The Food of the Gods? That movie creeped me out big-time. And Empire of the Ants!

I love The Towering Inferno. Paul Newman is my favorite classic actor.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil (philhappy) | 19 comments Curse of the Black Widow (1977) is the one you're thinking of Danielle.

I love all the 70's disaster and eco horror movies. Some more that haven't been mentioned are; Night of the Lepus, Prophecy, Frogs, Alligator and of course Piranha!

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I miss Paul Newman. :-(

Isn't Food of the Gods a sci-fi book? I used to own a book with that title and the cover creeped me out. It showed some monster holding a human like it was a Capri Sun and sucking on it with his elongated lips. Or that's how I remember it.

Anyone remember Frogs? Set in a swamp and the frogs killed the residents of a mansion. I remember frogs jumping onto a birthday cake and almost gagged and threw up.

Thanks for telling me again, Phil!

Me too, Tressa! :(

Food of the Gods is a story by HG Wells. It's also free on Kindle!

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Gods-Came-...

I don't think I've ever seen Frogs. Sounds really disturbing.

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil (philhappy) | 19 comments Trailer for Frogs on Youtube here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzl1Rk...

I forgot to mention one of my favourite eco-horror movies, 'Squirm'. Killer worms! Some pretty gross stuff in that movie too.

The Food of the Gods is by H.G. Wells. I haven't read much by Wells but I read The Island of Dr. Moreau a couple of weeks ago and really liked it.

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Duel has got to be the best movie ever made for television.

I was TERRIFIED by Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. I keep hoping they'll put it out on DVD now that the theatrical remake is coming -- I'd love to see it again!

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I remember watching Duel when it was first on TV.

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott I think I remember one called Grizzly. It was about a killer bear. Believe it or not.

I didn't know that Duel was a tv movie. Cool!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 212 comments Duel is one of those surprisingly good movies. It seemed to just come together for them, small low budget made for TV film that really creeps you out. I loved road trips before I saw that thing...

Remember Prophecy (1979) about the mutant animals (especially the mutant bear)?

I'm sure I probably saw it, Mike, but I can't remember it that well.

Was anyone else creeped out by The Damnation Game? Giant cockroaches! Eww!

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I love Kingdom of the Spiders, too! And one of my favorites to this day is Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Not that kid show on nickelodeon, but the TV movie with Kim Darby in the 70's, I think. I love those little creatures!

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Gargoyles was neat to me as a kid and spooky (the 70s tv movie not the 90s kids cartoon though i liked that too.)

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Thats another good one!

message 19: by AA (new)

AA How about Sybil? I know it's not really "horror" in a sense, but when I watched it it scared the shit out of me. And freaked me out and made me feel realllyy dirty... *shudders*

message 20: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh (kurtreichenbaugh) | 54 comments Don't forget Trilogy of Terror (all 3 stories starring Karen Black) made for TV movie. Everyone remembers the last one about the warrior doll that comes to life - based on the short story "Prey" by Richard Matheson.

Sybil was a good movie. It was very disturbing how her mother treated her.

Trilogy of Terror was really good, Kurt.

message 22: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 26 comments I love Trilogy OF Terror, Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, The Woman In Black, Race With The Devil.

I don't remember the last two, Zombette. I'll have to look those up.

message 24: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 26 comments Here is an awesome site dedicated to this

http://madefortvmayhem.blogspot.com/

Oh, thanks, Zombette!

message 26: by Steve (new)

Steve | 31 comments Zombette, you made my week with this link. Thanks!

message 27: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 325 comments Mod
Kurt wrote: "Don't forget Trilogy of Terror (all 3 stories starring Karen Black) made for TV movie. Everyone remembers the last one about the warrior doll that comes to life - based on the short story "Prey" by..."

I loved Trilogy of Terror! I think it was one of the first horror movies I ever saw. That doll was both funny and creepy!

That doll is super creepy!

Do you guys remember that movie "The Car?" The car was demonic, and it was a big, black long car. My dad had a car like that, and i was scared of it at first.

That movie scared the crap out of me.

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) The Car was a great movie! It had a very young James Brolin. Loved that movie!

I wonder if it's on DVD. I'd like to watch it as an adult and see if it still scares me as much!

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Yes, it is. I'm happy to report! I recently got it for DVD! :)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 212 comments I've seen a couple of older movies that I thought very scary the first time I watched them later...and wondered what I found so scary. I think a lot can depend on age, the people you watch a move with... I don't know, maybe attitude. My wife and I once watched "Let's Scare Jennifer to Death". (I don't know if you'd consider it "classic". It's nominally a vampire story) We agreed it was one of the scariest movies we'd seen (and we don't agree often). We had watched it late at night, hadn't been married too long... some how when we saw it later, we weren't impressed with it. I couldn't put my finger on why though. Sometimes it seems a little odd. Scared first time...not second. Oh well.

I remember The Car to.

That's cool, Kathy. I may ask my sister to Netflix it.

I don't think I've seen "Let's Scare Jennifer to Death."

message 35: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Was it Let's Scare Jessica to Death? I love that movie, it's so eerie and meandering and doesn't make a lick of sense. It's like a long dream. Only the '70s, man!

message 36: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) Wow! I'd forgotten all those wonderful (and sometimes cheesy) made-for-TV movies. Of course, now you can catch much gorier stuff on CHILLER & Fear.net, but they aren't as much fun and generally not that well written.

I doubt that twenty years from now folks will be talking about them the way we talk about TRILOGY OF TERROR, DUEL or some of others.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 212 comments Yes..sorry, been a while since I saw it (blushes).

Steve, I mentioned Duel earlier. That's one of those movies that I'm still surprised works as well as it does. There's no way you can tell someone about it and communicate the fell of this little low budget movie. I still remember Weaver trying to get a look at the guy and all you ever see are the run down boots. Good movie.

message 38: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) I pass those trucks everyday on my commutes and they still make me nervous.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 212 comments Just be sure you fan belts are in good shape...:) huh,huh,huh (laughs nervously and checks road in front of dwelling).

Ugh. I hate passing trucks!

message 41: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 26 comments You are welcome!! I love that site.

Has anyone seen Don't Go To Sleep? The end is creepy. Not sure if it's supposed to be but jeeeeeeeeezus!

That sounds familiar. What's it about?

message 43: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 7 comments Never heard of that one.

message 44: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) Don't remember that film, but see that Ruth Gordon was in it. You know it had to be creepy!

message 45: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments I just watched Duel again last night! Wow, that is a perfectly made little movie.

message 46: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 7 comments Duel was pretty good for a made-for-TV movie. Everytime I see an old rig on the highway I get flashbacks to that movie.

message 47: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 26 comments It is about these 3 kids and one of them dies in a car crash and she haunts the younger daughter. There are a few very creeped out parts. It is avail on youtube.

Oh, that sounds creepy!

message 49: by Shawn (last edited Sep 19, 2010 04:51AM) (new)

Shawn | 333 comments I just watched DON'T GO TO SLEEP myself recently - a surprisingly dark film for a made for tv movie (many deaths) and many creepy scenes (who thought you could make a pizza cutter scary!) and that ending is, yes, pretty damn creepy!

Other 70s MFTVs not mentioned (I live for this stuff)
DEVIL DOG, HOUND OF HELL (nothing screams 70s like Ike Eisenmann).
DARK NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW ("Bubba didn't so it!").
SOMETHING EVIL (little kid from SIGMUND THE SEA MONSTER possessed by Devil jelly jar in Amish Pennsylvania - directed by Steven Spielberg!).
A COLD NIGHT'S DEATH (like John Carpenter's THE THING but with super-smart monkees in antarctic base - Robert Culp, man, another 70s mainstay).
DEATH CAR ON THE FREEWAY (serial killer smashing folks up LA freeways).
HAUNTS OF THE RICH AND FAMOUS (I kid you not, this is essentially FANTASY ISLAND but flipped upside down and backwards with damned souls in Hell).
THE BERMUDA DEPTHS (Bermuda Triangle, winsome sea-girl who may be ghost...oh, and a giant turtle!).
THE DEVIL'S TRIANGLE (mixes THE EXORCIST and The Bermuda Triangle as abandoned ship is found with priest hanging upside down from yardarm, who then tells us the whole story in flashback).
CURSE OF THE CAT CREATURE (or a similar title - very close to CURSE OF THE BLACK WIDOW, I think Robert Bloch scripted both of them - ancient egyptian cat creature possesses people).
DEAD OF NIGHT (second attempt after TRILOGY OF TERROR at a Dan Curtis horror anthology, with winsome time travel story, Matheson's "No Such Thing As A Vampire" and the unforgettable "Bobby").
SPECTRE (Gene Roddenbury attempt to launch an occult detective series but only the pilot got made - Robert Culp again)
THE NORLISS TAPES (Dan Curtis failed attempt to launch a second KOLCHAK - writer becomes occult detective and battles demonic clay statue in rainy California coast area).
THE POSSESSED (Harrison Ford as an exorcist at a girl's school - very creepy, with a disturbing possession scene as I remember it)
THE WORLD BEYOND/THE WORLD OF DARKNESS (yet another failed pilot, in this case, twice, for another occult detective show - the mud monster/golem in this that attacks the characters at an abandoned cabin scared the life out of mke as a kid - a watching it now I think it may have scared a young Sam Raimi as well)
RITUAL OF EVIL/FEAR NO EVIL (another failed occult investigator two-fer - Loius Jordan as suave parapsychologist, Wilferd Hyde White as his crusty assistant, battle possession and then an evil cult)
SATAN'S SCHOOL FOR GIRLS (out on cheap dvd currently)
WHEN MICHAEL CALLS (just reviewed this over on the Horror Afficionado boards - "Auntie My Helen, I'm dead!")
THE STRANGE AND DEADLY OCCURENCE (haunted house? I barely remember this one)
THIS HOUSE POSSESSED (could be mixing this one up with the previous one)
SNOWBEAST - white sasquatch on rampage in ski resort - you get a glimpse of it looking through a window once and that's it!)
THE INTRUDER WITHIN (monster on an oil rig)
LAST BRIDE OF SALEM (again, more satanists)
MOON OF THE WOLF (Dan Curtis Werewolf movie set in Lousiana)
CROWHAVEN FARM (Made for TV WICKER MAN-redux)
THE DARK SECRET OF HARVEST HOME (CROWHAVEN FARM-redux!)
REVENGE OF THE STEPFORD WIVES (and then THE STEPFORD HUSBANDS and then THE STEPFORD CHILDREN)
LOOK WHAT'S HAPPENED TO ROSEMARY'S BABY (then again, don't)
BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL (really good - early paranoid ultra-conspiracy plot)
CRUISE INTO TERROR (cruise ship in Bermuda Triangle finds breathing Egyptian sarcophagus with the Antichrist inside! Again, I kid you not!)
DEATHMOON (Werewolf in...Hawaii, I think?)
THE LEGEND OF LIZZIE BORDEN (Samantha from BEWITCHED as Lizzie - everyone who saw this as a kid remembers it)
TARANTULAS, CARGO OF DEATH (what it says on the box)
THE SPELL (again, seems like a failed pilot - girl discovers she has witch powers - creepy choking scene in this one)
THE STRANGER WITHIN (impregnated by aliens!)
BAD RONALD (boy hides in walls)
TERROR ON THE BEACH (Manson-esque hippies push milquetoast dad too far! Just rewatched this on Fox Movie Channel)
ARE YOU IN THE HOUSE ALONE? (not WHEN A STRANGER CALLS, just an amazing facsimile)
THE BABYSITTER (the family across the lake is wrapped in plastic!)
BAY COVEN (more 70s Satanic shenanigans)
BLACK NOON (and even more!)
THE SCREAMING WOMAN (Bradbury adaptation - kid hears woman undeground)
THE DEATH OF OCEAN VIEW PARK (mysterious force destroys an amusement park)
KISS VERSUS THE PHANTOM OF THE PARK (Kiss destroy an amusement park - nah, I just threw that in there as a joke!)
DYING ROOM ONLY (Matheson adaptation that followed on the popularity of DUEL - couple stop at rest stop, husband goes to bathroom and disappears)
SCREAM PRETTY PEGGY (18th generation PSYCHO rip off)
GHOST OF FLIGHT 401 (haunted plane)
HORROR AT 37,000 FEET (not a gremlin, not a ghost, Shatner fights demon in jetliner)
ISN'T IT SHOCKING? (Alan Alda as sherriff tracking down serial killer of old people)
MIDNIGHT OFFERINGS (remember it being similar to THE SPELL)
NIGHT CRIES (did my baby really die?)
SCREAM OF THE WOLF (more Dan Curtis, more Matheson, more werewolves, this time with big game hunter)

and probably tons more I'm forgetting...

GRIZZLY wasn't made for TV, neither was THE SWARM (although there were 2 made for tv killer bee movies - THE SAVAGE BEES and REVENGE OF THE SAVAGE BEES) nor LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (which I absolutely love - such a great, haunted autumnal atmosphere).

DUEL, TRILOGY OF TERROR and DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK are probably the crown jewels but I have many a soft spot for things like GARGOYLES and SOMETHING EVIL and their forgotten ilk (obviously, I guess).

And, yes, SIBYL is damned frightening!

message 50: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 26 comments In Chicago back in the day on maybe channel 26 they'd show 2 movies back to back and more often than not it would be Trilogy Of Terror and Devil Dog Hound Of Hell. I used to love that!

Shawn, what an great list! I have been looking for some of those and can't seem to find them.

« previous 1 3