Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Jan G.'s August reads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanG (new)

JanG | 165 comments My August had 8 reads - a few non-fiction and a few mysteries.

1. Silencing Sam by Julie Kramer. I really like her way of writing and her main character Riley Spartz. Takes place in Minneapolis. Riley is a suspect in a gossip columnist murder who wrote not so great stuff about her.

2. Evil in Carnations by Kate Collins. This is #8 in the Abby Knight Flower Shop series that takes place in Indiana. Abby wants to help her roommate, Nikki get a date at a speed dating event. Then the date is murdered.

3. Down to the Wire by David Rosenfelt. A stand alone in New Jersey. Chris, a newspaper writer receives anonymous tips that make him a media sensation, but only to find he's been set up.

4. Chapter and Hearse by Lorna Barett, a Trish Miles series in the Booktown Mysteries. New Hampshire.

5. Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock & Roll's Legendary Neighborhood by Michael Walker. Interesting look at all the bands of that time and how they all intermingled!

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim. She played Nellie Olsen on Little House. It's her memoir. Quite well written and interesting.

7. Sinatra-Behind the Legend by J. Randy Taraborrelli. Ick, not a nice guy!

8. Live to Tell by Lisa Unger. I'd say this is a page turner. Not sure how much I like the M/C detective DD.

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Interesting mix of books, Jan. I have Down to the Wire in my TBR pile.

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1181 comments >>5. Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock & Roll's Legendary Neighborhood by Michael Walker. Interesting look at all the bands of that time and how they all intermingled! <<

This looks good. Will have to read sooner rather than later.

I also want to read the Nellie Olsen book. I have seen other good reviews and, of course, I loved Little House on the Prairie growing up.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments JanG:
Nice month! I liked the first Booktown Mystery and am interested in the Nellie Olsen book too - thanks for the info!!

JanG wrote: "My August had 8 reads - a few non-fiction and a few mysteries.
4. Chapter and Hearse by Lorna Barett, a Trish Miles series in the Booktown Mysteries. New Hampshire.
6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim. She played Nellie Olsen on Little House. It's her memoir. Quite well written and interesting."

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments I like Kate Collins' Flower Shop series a lot. I'm usually current with that series. The Laurel Canyon sounds like it's right up my alley! Will definitely check it out! And have looked the the Nellie Olsen book. I remember thinking her brother, Stefan, was cute back when he was on Land Of the Giants!

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2942 comments I, for one, will be happy to see Rosenfelt go back to his series.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments I never know how much of Taraborrelli's books to believe, but I read them all! This one was a doozy.

JanG wrote: "

7. Sinatra-Behind the Legend by J. Randy Taraborrelli. Ick, not a nice guy!
..."

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1598 comments You had a great month Jan! I think I'll try the Alison Arngrim book ;)

message 9: by JanG (new)

JanG | 165 comments Melodie wrote: "I like Kate Collins' Flower Shop series a lot. I'm usually current with that series. The Laurel Canyon sounds like it's right up my alley! Will definitely check it out! And have looked the the ..."

Her brother is a terrible person. You'll have to read the book to get the details, but he was just awful!

Donna in Southern Maryland (cedarville922) | 120 comments Jan read: 5. Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock & Roll's Legendary Neighborhood by Michael Walker. Interesting look at all the bands of that time and how they all intermingled!

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim. She played Nellie Olsen on Little House. It's her memoir. Quite well written and interesting.

I read the Laurel Canyon book a few months ago, and really enjoyed it, as I am a BIG fan of Crosby, Stills, & Nash, The Eagles, Jim Messina, Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne and the others. You may be interested is a new DVD out called "Legends of the Canyon," by Harry Diltz (I believe that's his name) He has written several books on these guys.

I want to read Allison's book, and Melissa Gilbert's as well. The one by Melissa Anderson did not get such good reviews.

Donna in Southern Maryland

message 11: by JanG (new)

JanG | 165 comments Hi Donna,
It was because of you that I read these two books!! You had put them on your FB page and they looked interesting. So, a big thank you for that! I would never have known about the Laurel Canyon book. I read the Melissa G. book also. It was okay and had a lot of information in it, but the Alison one was very interesting.