Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's August 2010 Reads

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (last edited Sep 02, 2010 06:28PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Another 16 books in August! My count for the year is at 125!

61 Hours (Jack Reacher Series, #14) by Lee Child 61 HOURS by Lee Child: the only Reacher book I ever finished and I'm not anxious to pick up another. I did like reading about the snowstorm, tho, when it was almost 100 here! Grade: 4

Old Maid's Puzzle A Quilting Mystery by Terri Thayer OLD MAID'S PUZZLE by Terri Thayer: 2nd in Dewey Pellicano Quilter's series. Fun, quick read. A body is discovered behind Quilter Paradiso. And not too long after another is found. I was surprised at who the killer was, but it all made sense. Grade: 8

Sudden Death (Andy Carpenter Series, #4) by David Rosenfelt SUDDEN DEATH by David Rosenfelt: 4th in Andy Carpenter series and the one I liked the least. Andy defends a football player accused of killing a player on another team. Grade: 6.5

The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree by Susan Wittig Albert THE DARLING DAHLIAS & THE CUCUMBER TREE by Susan Wittig Albert: 1st in a new series set in Depression-era Darling, Arkansas. As much as I love her China Bayles series, this one just was NOT for me, even tho it was very well-written and researched. Grade: 3

Bring On The Night (WVMP Radio, #3) by Jeri Smith-Ready BRING ON THE NIGHT by Jeri Smith-Ready: 3rd in WVMP series and another great read! Another thanks to Shomeret for pointing me in the direction of this series a couple of years ago! In this one you get great WVMP deejays and zombies, too! Grade: 9

Being Human The Road (Being Human Novels) by Simon Guerrier BEING HUMAN: THE ROAD by Simon Guerrier: 1st in a trilogy based on the brilliant BBC TV show, Being Human. In this one a ghost comes through a door Annie thought was meant for her, into Annie, George & Mitchell's living room. She claims to not know what she's back for, so Mitchell & Annie do some digging. If you like the show, you'll like the books! Grade: 8.5

Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3) by Terri Thayer OCEAN WAVES by Terri Thayer: 3rd and apparently final in Dewey Pellicano Quilter's series. As good as the other 2 were, this one was as bad! Grade: 3.5

Blood Law (Alexandra Sabian, #1) by Jeannie Holmes BLOOD LAW by Jeannie Holmes: 1st in what looks to be a new series and pretty bad. Skimmed most of the last half of it. Grade: 2

Dead Center (Andy Carpenter Series, #5) by David Rosenfelt DEAD CENTER by David Rosenfelt: 5th in Andy Carpenter series and a great read! Laurie has gone to Wisconsin and she calls Andy about a murder case. She arrested a suspect but her gut feeling is that he didn't do it. Andy agrees to talk to the kid and things develop from there. The weird religious cult was quite interesting! Grade: 8.5

Bite Me (Love Story, #3) by Christopher Moore BITE ME: A Love Story by Christopher Moore: 3rd in his San Francisco Vampires tales and a real hoot! I don't see how you could possibly read these without laughing out loud every other page or so! Grade: 9

Death's Excellent Vacation (Includes Night Huntress, #4.5) by Charlaine Harris DEATH'S EXCELLENT VACATION edited by Charlaine Harris: these anthologies have become terribly hit or miss anymore. Harris' new Sookie tale in which she and Pam go to Tunica was good, as was Jeaniene Frost's Cat & Bones tale. Most of the others were just okay and a few I didn't finish. Grade: 6.5

Play Dead (Andy Carpenter Series, #6) by David Rosenfelt PLAY DEAD by David Rosenfelt: 6th Andy Carpenter and another great read! Andy rescues a golden retriever from the Passaic County animal shelter who was set to be destroyed because he bit someone. After all the publicity a woman turns up who knows the dog and says he was supposed to have died 5 years before after witnessing a murder. Her brother was the convicted killer and the dog belonged to him. Andy's out to prove the wrong man went to jail. Grade: 9

Eat This Not That Thousands of Simple Food Swaps That Can Save You 10, 20, 30 Pounds—or More! by David Zinczenko EAT THIS! NOT THAT! by David Zinczenko: interesting read with good substitutions for when you're in a mood to eat out, especially fast food. Grade: 7

Being Human Chasers (Being Human Novels) by Mark Michalowski
BEING HUMAN: CHASERS by Mark Michalowski: 2nd in the Being Human trilogy and better than the first one. A lesbian couple that George & Mitchell work with approach George about being a sperm donor for them. George is warming up to the idea while Annie & Mitchell are trying to talk him out of it. At the same time a patient at the hospital chatting Mitchell up and it turns out he knows Mitchell's secret. Grade: 8.5

New Tricks (Andy Carpenter Series, #7) by David Rosenfelt NEW TRICKS by David Rosenfelt: 7th in Andy Carpenter series. Andy's fostering a Bernese Mountain puppy who's the object of a custody case after his master is murdered. When one of the litigants is also killed and the other is jailed for murder, Andy is on the case. Waggy, the pup, was just too cute! Grade: 9

Thugs and Kisses (Odelia Grey, #3) by Sue Ann Jaffarian THUGS AND KISSES by Sue Ann Jaffarian: 3rd in Odelia Gray series. Odelia is a paralegal and a great character. She's of a "certain age & size" which just makes her that much more interestin to me. In this one an old "acquaintance" turns up with a bullet in the chest at her 30th high school reunion and days later her boss goes missing. The suspects kept piling up! Grade: 8.5

message 2: by JanG (new)

JanG | 165 comments Melodie wrote: "Another 16 books in August! My count for the year is at 125!

61 Hours (Jack Reacher Series, #14) by Lee Child 61 HOURS by Lee Child: the only Reacher book I ever finished and I'm not anxious to pick up another. ..."

Wow! 16 books! That's great. I've enjoyed most Andy Carpenter books and the stand alone's that Rosenfelt has written.

message 3: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Wow!! Someone's been busy reading this month! I also loved Bite Me. Christopher Moore's book are definitely laugh-out-loud funny.

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Mel, 16 books, tres impressive! I don't know how you do it. You must not be watching must TV these days.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1181 comments Excellent month Melodie. I am glad I am not the only one who has trouble with Lee Child's books.

I won Bite Me a few months ago but did not realize it was the third book in the series.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14207 comments Melodie:
Your sixteen books to my six explains why you will read over 100 this year, and I won't! ;) congrats!!
I was wondering about The Darling Dahlias. I am going to feel bad for keeping it from the library for so long if I don't read it, but it has not called to be yet.

Melodie wrote: "Another 16 books in August! My count for the year is at 125!
THE DARLING DAHLIAS & THE CUCUMBER TREE by Susan Wittig Albert: 1st in a new series set in Depression-era Darling, Arkansas. As much as I love her China Bayles series, this one just was NOT for me, even tho it was very well-written and researched. Grade: 3 ."

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1598 comments You were a busy girl Melodie! I've read quite a few of these and agreed with all your reviews. I do need to try the Odelia Gray series...soon!

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Mel, 16 books, tres impressive! I don't know how you do it. You must not be watching must TV these days."

I don't watch much TV in the summer. Just Leverage & True Blood. Ed watches so much baseball and it just bores me to death on TV, so I go upstairs and read. Plus he's back to bowling on Friday night and he golfs early on Saturday mornings so I have that time to myself. It's been too hot to be outside alot so I stay in and read!

message 9: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Sandi wrote: "Excellent month Melodie. I am glad I am not the only one who has trouble with Lee Child's books.

I won Bite Me a few months ago but did not realize it was the third b..."

Yes, Reacher just doesn't do much for me! The first in Moore's SF Vampires series is Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story.

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Ann wrote: "Melodie:
Your sixteen books to my six explains why you will read over 100 this year, and I won't! ;) congrats!!
I was wondering about The Darling Dahlias. I am going to feel bad for keeping it from..."

As much as I really love the China Bayles books, the Darling Dahlias was just "cutesy". Totally not appealing to me, but I finished it.

message 11: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Susie in KS wrote: "You were a busy girl Melodie! I've read quite a few of these and agreed with all your reviews. I do need to try the Odelia Gray series...soon!"

I think you'd like them, Susie! I started the 4th one, BOOBY TRAP, last night.

message 12: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Melodie wrote:
PLAY DEAD by David Rosenfelt: 6th Andy Carpenter and another great read!

Just what I need - another series. But you've tempted me, you devil.

message 13: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Daniel wrote: "Melodie wrote:
PLAY DEAD by David Rosenfelt: 6th Andy Carpenter and another great read!

Just what I need - another series. But you've tempted me, you devil."

I lives to serve, Dan!! I think you'll like them. Andy's a wiseguy...........but you wouldn't know anything about that! :-)

message 14: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2942 comments I became a fan o the Rosenfelts too. I started his latest, Dog Tags, today.

message 15: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Barry wrote: "I became a fan o the Rosenfelts too. I started his latest, Dog Tags, today."

I really want to read that one, but I'm holding out for a good deal on eBay!

message 16: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2942 comments I had a 40% Borders coupon and a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. I'm maybe 30 pages from the end, and I think that he has (if anything) gotten better. The story is solid and the humor hits the mark.

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Barry wrote: "I had a 40% Borders coupon and a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. ..."

And you didn't think of your good friend Carol's recent half-birthday? For shame!

message 18: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Melodie wrote:
I lives to serve, Dan!! I think you'll like them. Andy's a wiseguy...........but you wouldn't know anything about that! :-)

Certainly not.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments I just picked up the Rosenfelt series. I had the first couple and had read them, but the next in series was priced at $16.99...so high I thought it must be a typo. They reduced it to $11.99 so I got that one and the rest of the series. Looking forward to it.

Great month Melodie! Remarkable numbers and many enjoyable reads! You go girl.