The Town The Town discussion

What happened to Portius back in the Bay State?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa Anyone have an inkling or special knowledge of what made Portius leave the Bay State and come to Ohio to live as a "Solitary"? I know Sayward thought it was a woman, but I'm not so sure. When Portius' father wrote to George Roebuck, he told him to tell Portius that "that business has been settled that made Portius leave" and he could come back now.

Was it a woman? A bad legal mistake? I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!

Peggy I think it was what Sayward thought - trouble with a woman. Maybe it was a married woman, which would have been particularly scandalous for the time.

Lisa Thanks, Peggy! I appreciate your thoughts. I just love this series!

Peggy Lisa, I love it too--I try to read through it every year. So glad to see something about it on Goodreads.

Karen I love this series. The first book, The Trees, is my all time favorite book. But Richter never says what made Portius leave the Bay State. I always thought it was a woman. Sayward did have some psychic moments, she dreamed of how the territory would be settled, she dreamed about her father and brother. I always thought Portius was involved with a woman, she, or the families, pushed for marriage and he ran from the responsibility. He tried to run from Sayward on their wedding night. He ran when she was in labor with their first child. You never really see him taking much responsibility. It's always on Sayward to keep the family together. Maybe he got her pregnant. That would be a horrible scandal back then.

Ilene The Trilogy, The Trees, The Fields and the Town are among my favorite reads. Portius did have skeletons in his closet that were referred to but left to the readers imagination.

Joanne I read this trilogy so long ago. This makes me want to read it again.

message 8: by Ilene (last edited Oct 02, 2011 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ilene Same with me; I read this trilogy a long time ago and way more than once. Maybe I can dig the paperbacks out.
I'll always be haunted by "I hear a voice you cannot hear, that says I must not stay."
I see a hand you cannot see, that beckons me away." Sad, when Sayward's grand daughter was burned to death.

Ilene I dug out "The Trees" but I can't find "The Fields" or "The Town". Guess I will have to purchase them when I am ready for them. Dang, it's been a long time since I read them. My copy of "The Trees" was printed in 1975 by Bantam.

Peggy One part of The Trees that I especially loved was Sayward's "tea party" for her new neighbor. That chapter always makes me hungry - and appreciative of our modern kitchens!

If you can find a copy of The Awakening Land, it has all three books in it.

Ilene Peggy wrote: "One part of The Trees that I especially loved was Sayward's "tea party" for her new neighbor. That chapter always makes me hungry - and appreciative of our modern kitchens!

If you can find a copy..."

Thanks!! I will keep my eyes open for it. These books have gotten way more expensive than they used to be, just like everything else, I guess.

Marian I don't want to leave a spoiler, but I do remember that Portious had an argument with his family and dis-owned any inheritance he might be entitled to. (It had to do with the way their money was made)

I first read the series in the early 1950's & again in the 1970's when the paperback editions came out. I still have them. They are true to the way things happened - Richter was old enough to remember his grandparent's tales. I also watched "The Awakening Land" series on TV several times. There are episodes
in the books that weren't included in the TV series, but the TV series are very, very good. The actress that played Sayward also played Samantha the witch on "Bewitched" but can't think of her name. But she played Sayward perfectly.

Ilene Elizabeth Montgomery died a few years back and she was the actress who played Sayward.

Peggy I remember the series and I also thought they did a good job with it. I remember thinking that Elizabeth Montgomery wouldn't be "woodsy" enough to be Sayward but she did well. Hal Holbrook was a good Portius--he even looked the way I had thought Portius would look.

Karen Peggy wrote: "I remember the series and I also thought they did a good job with it. I remember thinking that Elizabeth Montgomery wouldn't be "woodsy" enough to be Sayward but she did well. Hal Holbrook was a ..."

I really liked Hal Holbrook as Portius but I thought Collene Dewhurst would have made a better Sayward.

Kclark I was thinking Portius was a bit like Chauncey. He was pretty useless until Sayward came into his life. Chauncy had that with his half sister, but tragically it couldn't be.

Susan Bybee If you go by Portius' behavior after he left the Bay State, you'd come to the conclusion that there was a scandal involving a woman.

Dustincecil I would venture a guess that his problems back home were linked to his views on slavery, or religion. It seems like his views would have been pretty unpopular back then.

Also, when he got the school teacher pregnant later in life, it didn't uproot his life or even seem to upset him at all- so that makes me think his problems weren't related to another man's woman.