Robert E. Howard Readers discussion

REH: His Life & Times > Cross Plains, Texas

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ó Ruairc (new)

Ó Ruairc | 169 comments I'm going to Cross Plains come the first week of October. While there, I aim to visit R.E.H.'s home, take in the museum there, and maybe make a trip to Brownwood. If anyone has ever visited Cross Plains, I'd be passing happy to read any advice regarding 'what-to-see,' 'what-not-to-see,' and so on and so forth. I'm especially interested in seeing some surrounding geographical features, nearby landscapes that doubtless inspired Howard's prose.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 542 comments Cool! You'll have to tell us about it when you get back.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (dolphy76) | 440 comments Yes, I've been to Robert E Howard Days for the last 3 years and visited on my own one year. You have to call ahead and make an appt if you want to visit the museum it does not keep normal hours. It's best to go during REH Days in June because you will get to go on tours but there may be a book by Rusty Burke that is available at the museum. Also if you go to lulu.com
http://www.lulu.com/browse/search.php...
Get the book Brownwood Connection and visit Brownwood. visit his gravesite and the book will show you some great places to visit in Brownwood where he spent much time and lived while going to high school and college.
my email is pachecomic@tx.rr.com and if you send me a message I will scan you more info
Mike

message 4: by Ó Ruairc (new)

Ó Ruairc | 169 comments Thank you much for the info, Mike. This website you provided is outstanding.

I wanted to make the trip in June, but my schedule did not permit it. Such as it is, this visit in October will be a sort of exploratory observation for me. My subsequent journeys to Cross Plains will, I hope, take place during the 'REH Days.'

Yes, but thanks again for these particulars. I was hoping for some information like this, and that is why I posted this here. As the day of my journey draws closer, I probably will e-mail you with a few more questions.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (dolphy76) | 440 comments Sounds good. I have a booklet that Rusty Burke put together for a tour and I can give you a lot of particulars about it as I've been to these places. I went on a walking tour thru Cross Plains and a bus tour thru the surrounding area like Burkett and other small towns the Howards lived in before settling in Cross Plains. Also the gravesite of Novalyne Price.
Mike

message 6: by Peregrine 12 (new)

Peregrine 12 (peregrine12) | 75 comments Thanks for posting info on the REH Days. I *will* be going this year, in 2011, June 10-11 (Fri-Sat). Is there anyone who'd like to meet me there?

I think this catapults me into the ranks of the 'ueber-Nerds'...

So cool.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael | 305 comments Peregrine 12 wrote: "Thanks for posting info on the REH Days. I *will* be going this year, in 2011, June 10-11 (Fri-Sat). Is there anyone who'd like to meet me there?

I think this catapults me into the ranks of the ..."

You were already on the über-nerd trajectory!!

It's cool that you'll be attending the REH Days. I hope you'll be able to post an account of the event for those of us stuck over here on the Cimmerian borders.

BTW my wife started to do a magazine quiz called "How Nerdy is Your Man" and when I asked her to define the terms of the first question she threw it away and told me I'd already fulfilled the criteria of über-geek!!

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael | 305 comments Peregrine 12 wrote: "Thanks for posting info on the REH Days. I *will* be going this year, in 2011, June 10-11 (Fri-Sat). Is there anyone who'd like to meet me there?

I think this catapults me into the ranks of the ..."

I've added an Event about the REH Days and invited everyone in the Group in order to raise awareness.

Please note that I've added this Event as an item of interest to REH fans and it is NOT an event I have organised or have any connection with! Sadly, I will not be attending, but if you register as attending, you might be able to arrange a meet with others in the Group.

message 9: by Miguel (new)

Miguel | 3 comments I think this catapults me into the ranks of the ranks of the 'ueber-Nerds'..."

Count me in the ranks. I'm coming from France for REH days.

message 10: by Peregrine 12 (new)

Peregrine 12 (peregrine12) | 75 comments Hi Miguel,

Maybe we can meet there - that'd be a lot of fun. I read their web site and I have to admit that 'Barbarian Days' doesn't sound like much (especially for a town of 2,000 people) but this is like a childhood dream come true for me. But hey, there's a free breakfast on Saturday morning and a tour of the house as well. How can you go wrong with something like that?

I Heart Barbarians

message 11: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (theagenes) | 24 comments I'll be at Howard Days as well. If you've never been and you're a Howard fan you owe it to yourself to make the pilgrimage at least once. It's a great time and a whole lot of fun.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael | 305 comments All you guys lucky enough to attend the Cross Plains REH Days this year, please feel free to rub the rest of our noses in it and tell how good it's been!

message 13: by Ó Ruairc (new)

Ó Ruairc | 169 comments I cannot attend REH Days this year, alas. But, as Michael wrote, I do hope to hear some detailed accounts of the event from those who were able to attend.

message 14: by Peregrine 12 (new)

Peregrine 12 (peregrine12) | 75 comments I couldn't attend this weekend. I really, really wanted to go but did the grown up thing and said 'next year... next year.'

Sorry, guys - was really looking forward to seeing the signed library card. Pretty bummed about it.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (dolphy76) | 440 comments I went to Cross Plains this past weekend. I took two of my sons and one of their friends.
We had a great time. The people are very nice and it's so nice to speak to people who understand what you are talking about.
Frederick Malmberg of Paradox Entertainment was there and showed some trailers for the new Conan movie. It looks good. He mentioned that Jason Mamoa wanted to come and drink beer with us on the pavilion next to the museum but had to attend a wedding.
As always it was fun and informative. The BBQ on Saturday evening was wonderful and I made the trek one more time to the top of Caddo Peak.

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael | 305 comments Peregrine 12 wrote: "I couldn't attend this weekend. I really, really wanted to go but did the grown up thing and said 'next year... next year.'

Sorry, guys - was really looking forward to seeing the signed library c..."

Bummer that you couldn't attend, Mark, but as you live in Texas I'm sure you'll get the opportunity again.

@ Michael: Not to burden you if you haven't got time, but if you could share a bit more about any of the events, displays, local people you talked to, etc., I'm sure we'd all love to hear. If you have any photos that you don't mind posting, that would be cool, too :-D

message 17: by Michael (last edited Jun 14, 2011 03:29PM) (new)

Michael (dolphy76) | 440 comments Sure, this was my fourth straight year to attend REH days in Cross Plains. As usual I arrived late. I got there late Friday afternoon for the tail end of Frederick Malmberg's discussion and the Conan trailers. Jason Mamoa the new star of the Conan movie sent a message to the fans.
On Friday nights there is always a banquet. If you decide to go it's imperative you send your money in advance and reserve a spot at the banquet. I brought an extra guest and was fortunate to be able to squeeze him in. The cost is only $15 each and guarantees you a spot at the BBQ at Caddo Peak Ranch on Saturday evening as well.
The guests at the banquet were Dennis McHaney and Damon Sasser both founders of the REH fanzines. Damon Sasser still prints his called "Two Gun Raconteur" and has a great website as well. Just google that name to check it out. He won an award for it at the banquet as well. The food was catered by the "Mexico City Cafe"the local Tex Mex restaurant.
Arlene Stephenson is the master of ceremonies each year that I attended. She is the president of "Project Pride" which takes care of the REH House/Museum. Rusty Burke takes over to introduce the guests of honor. BTW Rusty mentioned that there were 140 attendees which was 10X the number of the first REH Days in 1986.
Before, during, and after there was silent auction with many REH related merchandise donated by attendees. Afterwards there was an award ceremony giving prizes for the REH Foundation. Rob Roehm easily walked away with the most awards for all of his hard work and research in publishing many scholarly works on Howard. You can find most of these for sale at the REH Foundation website. After the banquet many fans head over to the pavilion next to the Howard House to take turns reciting Howard's Poetry. Many just go to meet and greet and they bring a few beers with them as well.
If interested there is a free bus tour of the surrounding area (which I went on in 2008) and a "trailer tour" with Rusty Burke in Cross Plains which I went on in 2009. These always start at 9am on Fri and Sat. Panel discussions are held at the library. This year Paul Sammons (very entertaining) spoke about the history of the Conan movies. He wrote the oversized coffee table book "Conan, the Phenomenon". He also worked on both Conan movies and Blade Runner. There was a panel discussion with the guests of honor and also a panel discussion on Howard's poetry. This included the Texas Poet Laureate of 2005, Alan Birkelbach. He is working on a book with Paul Herman on Howard's Poetry.
If interested in breakfast of lunch we go to Jean's Feed Barn. My son Andrew does not feel complete without Saturday morning breakfast there. The service was fairly slow this year. I don't think they staffed up. This is a very small town.
BTW the heat was in the mid 90's so if you plan to go in the future bring some light clothing and get yourself a straw cowboy hat. You will fit in well!
I bought my hat there 3 years ago and wear it every year.
At 3:30 PM, the Paradox people (there were 3) led by the President and CEO Fred Malmberg spoke along with Rob Roehm and Rusty Burke on the current state of REH. Be patient, there is a lot of hype coming for the new Conan movie. As mentioned in my previous post, Jason Mamoa wanted to come and drink beer with the fans at the pavilion on Friday night but had to attend a wedding. A lot is hinging on the success of this movie. Hopefully this could mean that the Solomon Kane movie would be released in the USA. There are additional movies planned...A Conan movie every two years!, Bran Mak Morn movie, Dark Agnes movie, etc. BTW Fred mentioned that during the shooting of the Conan movie Jason asked for Conan quotes from the Howard stories. He plastered them all over the walls of his trailer. Although they were not part of the script it helped him get in character!
On Saturday evening at 5pm we drove about 5 miles to the Caddo Peak Ranch. The owners invite us every year and treat us to a wonderful BBQ! Those who wish make the climb up Caddo Peak. It's a very steep hill which in the flat plains of this part of Texas affords a beautiful view of the surrounding area. REH used to go on picnics there with Novalyne Price. (See the movie "The Whole Wide World".
BTW other attendees at these affairs are authors like James Reasoner and Mark Finn. Check out their books and purchase and read them as well. They are huge fans and you will love their stuff. Mark Finn wrote the best bio of REH in existence called "Blood and Thunder" and check out James Reasoner's "Texas Wind" and his Civil War Historical fiction books.
Hope this helps. I'll post some pics soon as well.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 542 comments Very cool, Michael. Thanks for the over view. Sounds like fun.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael | 305 comments Michael, thanks so much for posting in such detail. It sounds like you all had a great time, and a lot of interest from the media.

I didn't know Paul Sammons was associated with the Conan movies. His book about Blade Runner, Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner is excellent.

Looking forward to seeing your photos :-D

message 20: by Ó Ruairc (new)

Ó Ruairc | 169 comments Thanks (again), Michael, for the detailed account of the REH Days in Cross Plains. Would that I could have made it this year! I'll have to check out some of James Reasoner's works; they do sound interesting.

I visited Cross Plains last October. It was a delightful journey for me. For all of that, as Michael so clearly illustrates, 11 June is doubtless the finest time to stop by at Cross Plains.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (dolphy76) | 440 comments I finally got a few pictures uploaded from REH Days 2011. Hope y'all enjoy them :)

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael | 305 comments Michael wrote: "I finally got a few pictures uploaded from REH Days 2011. Hope y'all enjoy them :)"

Thanks for sharing your photos, Michael. I's very interesting to see a bit more of Cross Plans and the folks who went to the Day.

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 542 comments Michael wrote: "I finally got a few pictures uploaded from REH Days 2011. Hope y'all enjoy them :)"

Where are they?

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael | 305 comments Jim wrote: "Michael wrote: "I finally got a few pictures uploaded from REH Days 2011. Hope y'all enjoy them :)"

Where are they?"

Here in the Photos section :-)

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 542 comments Cool. Thanks.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael (dolphy76) | 440 comments BTW there was one thing I forgot to mention. At the Saturday afternoon panel discussion.."What's new in the world of REH" the Paradox people mentioned something about a possible mini series of Almuric (after Spartacus). Not sure what will come of that. As mentioned above, the Conan movie's success would spur more Howard characters coming to life in movies, TV, games, graphic novels, etc etc

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael | 305 comments Almuric would be a cool miniseries: I really hope that gets done.