The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

Miscellaneous Archives > New Group Avatar?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) | 1483 comments Mod
Say, I should certainly be delighted if someone could find a more appropriate avatar that we could incorporate as the visual identity for the group. My very 'cheesy' cartoon stack-o-books isn't particularly attractive (or interesting). I had a lovely montage of a whole myriad of authors that kind of fit our group's span of time, but it was indecipherable at the size used for the avatar. So, if you come across something. Post a link to it here, and we'll all have a look and make a decision. I suppose we could change it up periodically too. Cheers! Chris

message 2: by Joy (last edited Sep 02, 2010 06:03PM) (new)

Joy (joylnorth) Do you want it to be a stack of books, Chris? Such as

[image error]

Joy wrote: "Do you want it to be a stack of books, Chris? Such as"

Oh, those are lovely too, but I'm open for anything. Of the three, I think I like the bottom one the best.

message 4: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) That's the one I like least! :) For whatever reason, an open book is very appealing to me as if it is ready for me to jump in and enjoy.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 02, 2010 06:18PM) (new)

Or we could be properly Victorian about it:

But I like this one better:

The problem with both of them is they shrink into weird looking blobs.

Joy wrote: "That's the one I like least! :) For whatever reason, an open book is very appealing to me as if it is ready for me to jump in and enjoy."

If there's anything I've learned being married, is to always defer to the ladies when it comes to matters of design and style. Therefore, I shall take my own advice! Ladies, I entrust you with the responsibility for coming up with a new avatar for the group. Just let me know where to find it when it is time to install it!

(sotto voce 'Heh, heh, that was almost too easy!' walks off whistling softly)

message 7: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) description

message 8: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth)

Bookman?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the "Bookman", Joy. What does he look like if you shrink him down to the size of an avatar on the group home page?

message 10: by Joy (last edited Sep 02, 2010 06:31PM) (new)

Joy (joylnorth) description

message 11: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) Bookman completely cracks me up! Although, if he were to be our avatar, I think he should also be the group mascot and would need a name.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 02, 2010 07:11PM) (new)

It definitely loses some of the humor when it shrinks, doesn't it? But yeah, he still looks pretty good.

*snickers* we could name him Kit in honor of our fearless feckless leader who dodged out of here a little while ago.

Kate wrote: "It definitely loses some of the humor when it shrinks, doesn't it? But yeah, he still looks pretty good.

*snickers* we could name him Kit in honor of our fearless feckless leader who dodged out ..."

'I heard that, Kate!' (as he slinks off down the darkened hall...)

message 14: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments I like Bookman better - Kit is too modern:). Pity he can't be a bit bigger.

'Fearless Feckless Leader' slinks back in and interjects,

The name "Bookman" does have an emotional appeal and attachment to Joy and Christopher, as we did meet, for the very first time, in a branch of "Bookman's" used bookstores in Phoenix, Arizona."

For those interested, here's the link to "Bookman's" Phoenix (Yea!) http://www.bookmans.com/our-stores/ph...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Christopher wrote: "'Fearless Feckless Leader' slinks back in and interjects..."

You know, I should really learn to self edit :D

I like the name "Bookman" too, and it's delightfully ambiguous with several layers of meanings (including bookstores apparently). I guess the new avatar has been christened.

message 17: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Christopher wrote: "'Fearless Feckless Leader' slinks back in and interjects,

The name "Bookman" does have an emotional appeal and attachment to Joy and Christopher, as we did meet, for the very first time, in a bran..."

That seals it then! :) Can you make it as bit as possible please. We don't want a slinking little Bookman, we want a large bold one!

message 18: by MadgeUK (last edited Sep 02, 2010 10:07PM) (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Christopher wrote: "'Fearless Feckless Leader' slinks back in and interjects,

The name "Bookman" does have an emotional appeal and attachment to Joy and Christopher, as we did meet, for the very first time, in a bran..."

That seals it then! :) Can you make it as big as possible please. We don't want a slinking little Bookman, we want a large bold, fearless, feckless one!

Joy, if you will please send me the link to our dear 'Kit the Bookman' I will be delighted to add him post-haste as our new group avatar. I think you Ladies have done very well too!

message 20: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) I didn't even think about Bookmans, Chris! Here is the link:

http://www.humormonth.com/images/book...

I do have to give the credit to my husband Cameron for finding and suggesting the Bookman. He is a member, although he has been silent so far. It is his first foray into a group on GR, so we must ease him in slowly :)

Joy wrote: "I didn't even think about Bookmans, Chris! Here is the link:

http://www.humormonth.com/images/book...

I do have to give the credit to my husband Cameron for finding and suggesting the Bookman..."

Hoo-Ray! 'Kit the Bookman' has been successfully installed as our new group avatar! Major thanks and kudos to Cameron for finding him! I really like him, and think he fits our group to a 'T'!

message 22: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Love the new Avatar - such a good likeness of our bold, fearless feckless leader! Thanks a lot Cameron!

message 23: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) Chris - I found one without the blur effect, if you prefer it:

http://www.foundshit.com/pictures/scu...

Joy wrote: "Chris - I found one without the blur effect, if you prefer it:

http://www.foundshit.com/pictures/scu..."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I kind of like the slightly blurred edge around Bookman. He really is a very cool avatar, and so appropriate for all of us!

message 25: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments Hello Cameron....and thankyou!

message 26: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) I like the blurred edges, too! And, as a matter of fact, Cameron just made me a rather large G&T :) Cheers!

message 27: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Yes, blurred edges definitely suit Chris:).

message 28: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) Joy wrote: "I like the blurred edges, too! And, as a matter of fact, Cameron just made me a rather large G&T :) Cheers!"

Chris - I just noticed that I responded to your margarita comment in this thread instead of in the appropriate thread in which you mentioned it. Apparently, while I'm vacationing I can't be bothered to post comments in the correct place!

message 29: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cameronnorth) Thanks for the greetings everyone, and thanks Joy for being my intermediary on the submission and selection of Bookman.

message 30: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments Hello Cameron, there you are...what a cute little spider...with seven legs?

message 31: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) Jan wrote: "Hello Cameron, there you are...what a cute little spider...with seven legs?"

A very astute observation, Jan. The origin of the seven-legged spider is 27bslash6.com and, although in a slightly different form, from the story about an Overdue Account. It is a hilarious story, and if you do enjoy it I recommend reading about Simon's Pie Charts as well. However, do be warned that the site does sometimes employ vulgar images and language, although, to the best of my recollection, not in either of those stories.

message 32: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) Joy wrote: "A very astute observation, Jan. The origin of the seven-legged spider is 27bslash6.com and, although in a s..."

Ok, I just re-read Simon's Pie Charts and it actually contains both vulgar images and language, so... never mind what I said about it not having either of those. But it is still very, very funny.

message 33: by Linda2 (last edited Sep 07, 2010 08:59PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments Bookman doesn't look like anything in avatar size. I didn't know what it was till I happened upon this thread. How about cropping off the edges and books at the bottom a little, then enlarging to original size?

What's the allowed pixel size?

BTW--how do you post a pic here? Embed it from ImageShack?

message 34: by Linda2 (last edited Sep 07, 2010 09:06PM) (new)

message 35: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments He needs his books - he would get lonely when we aren't here if we take them away!

Yes, how do you load pics here Chris?

MadgeUK wrote: "He needs his books - he would get lonely when we aren't here if we take them away!

Yes, how do you load pics here Chris?"

In the upper right corner of the group's home-age, you'll see a column; 'click' on "photos"; then 'click' on "add photos" at the upper right, and off you go to the races.

message 38: by Linda2 (last edited Sep 07, 2010 11:33PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments How do I get the image into my post? I tried the HTML and the link disappeared completely.

message 39: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments ?

message 40: by MadgeUK (last edited Sep 08, 2010 12:33AM) (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Rochelle wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/photo/group/..."

I prefer the one we have Rochelle, it has more colour.

I think the size of the avatar is dictated by the GR website.

message 41: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments OK. So how do I put a pic into my post, the way Chris did?

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Rochelle wrote: "OK. So how do I put a pic into my post, the way Chris did?"

Click on the "(some html is ok)" link above the comment box and use the format for "image".

message 43: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments image:
(I didn't note the width and height)

message 44: by Linda2 (last edited Sep 08, 2010 09:45AM) (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments It disappeared again. Never mind. I'll stay with ImageShack.

message 45: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments This group is using our avatar. I thought it was an original design. :(

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

Rochelle wrote: "This group is using our avatar. I thought it was an original design. :(

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3..."

Oh well, I do honestly think dear old 'Bookman' is much happier with us though! ;-) No worries, we can share 'Bookman' with the whole world!

message 47: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cameronnorth) Rochelle wrote: "This group is using our avatar. I thought it was an original design. :(

I think Chris is right, Bookman is happier with us. If you really think it's an issue, however, you could always petition the other group to find a new avatar. After all, we officially coronated Bookman on the 3rd and the other group consists of only two members who joined Goodreads on the 8th and 10th... I think we have dibs :)

Cameron wrote: "Rochelle wrote: "This group is using our avatar. I thought it was an original design. :(

I think Chris is right, Bookman is ..."

We do have 'dibs' on Bookman, but I also think we are such a community-oriented group of folks that we are willing to share our Bookman with the rest of the world too. Just like we all share the great books that we read and love!

message 49: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) I agree, Chris. Plus, I'm pretty sure that we have to share Bookman since none of us created him and we are probably guilty of copyright infringement by using that image.

Joy wrote: "I agree, Chris. Plus, I'm pretty sure that we have to share Bookman since none of us created him and we are probably guilty of copyright infringement by using that image."

[Quietly...I'd thought of that too..]

...and how as Joy and Cameron's adventure to El Golfo de Californio?

« previous 1

The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pride and Prejudice (other topics)