Cherish the Romance Goodreads Party discussion

Cherish the Romance Goodreads Party - OCTOBER 2

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Mod
This is the place we'll be partying on October 2nd. Please join me here to help me celebrate the launch of my contemporary romantic suspense, Lancelot's Lady.

You can view my entire Cherish the Romance Virtual Book Tour schedule by visiting: http://www.cherylktardif.com/lancelots-lady-virtual-book-to

Receive FREE EBOOKS if you leave a comment and your email address between September 27 and October 10. Other great prizes will be given away at select stops along the way.

Cheers!

Cherish D'Angelo,
aka Cheryl Kaye Tardif

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) i can't wait till october 2!!!!!!

dastephan6@aol.com

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Mod
Feel free to ask me questions about writing, editing, publishing or marketing. Or I can tell you how to make a great margarita! ;-)

Cherish D'Angelo

message 4: by L.C. (last edited Oct 02, 2010 01:00PM) (new)

L.C. Evans | 1 comments Marketing--now that's what I'd like to know about. I'm working really hard on that and it's kind of hit or miss.

Also, I wondered if you actually went on a Bahamas holiday to research the book. I love the cover and the redhead in the trailer fits exactly with how I pictured the heroine.
lcevans49@gmail.com

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Mod
Sadly, I had to do most of my Bahamas research online, LC. However, I did live in Bermuda for 3 years, so I drew on my experiences there, especially how the heat and humidity hits you when you get off the plane and how the fragrance of the flowers scent the air, especially in less populated areas. :-)

I'm trying to convince my husband we need to take a trip to the Bahamas to make sure I got it right. lol But we're going on a Mexican Riviera cruise for now. Hmmm...novel set on a cruise ship...

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) i have recently started writing and have completed a couple short erotic short stories. what's the best way to get my work out there?

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Mod
I forgot to address marketing... it can be a hit or miss concept, but even when you think it's a miss you have to look at the possible long term effects. Physical events are usually over once you leave the bookstore or venue. Some stores will leave your books on the table for the rest of the day, but usually by the next morning no one knows you were there. Weeks later, you're a memory to the staff.

Online marketing has better viral potential. Once you blog about something like a new release, word can spread. Sometimes without you knowing it, unless you get Google Alerts. You have more potential to reach a larger audience online, and it's generally cheaper than paying for a flight, hotel and meals while away.

It's better to take a risk and "miss", than to never risk at all. :-)

Cherish

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Mod
As part of my Goodreads Party, I'll be giving away an ebook today to one lucky person who leaves a comment with their email address.

Plus everyone who comments with email address will receive today's free ebook and be entered in my draws for other prizes, including the grand prize of a Kobo ereader. Good luck!

Cherish

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) How does someone get started on online advertising? Does it cost a lot of money?

Dastephan6@aol.com

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Mod
Great questions, Stephanie.

The cost of online marketing depends on what you want to do and what you want to get out of it. If you're a new author with a book not yet out, you'll want to focus on pre-promotion and branding. That means you'll need a website, blog and social networks set up. Websites can be done inexpensively--even free, especially if the author has some HTML skill. This way you avoid having to pay someone to update your website, which can get very expensive.

Authors wanting to launch a book usually spend more on advertising online. A physical book launch can easily cost $1000+, and most publishers won't pay those costs. Online launches can range from $100-1000 or more, depending on what the author wants to do. The key is to pick the opportunities where you have the best chance at reaching a wide audience--your target audience.

Blog tours are generally free, with the exception of any prizes you might pay for that you'll be giving away.

Press releases are a must and they'll cost you. Don't get fooled by the "free" release services. Most won't get your press release noticed by media or readers.

Advertising in genre-specific magazines or on their sites will cost you a bit, but most have a la carte services so you can pick and choose what you want.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Mod
Stephanie, for your short stories you have 2 ways to go. You could put them up on a website like Textnovel and allow people to read them. This is great because you can get feedback from readers and other writers, which you'll find useful in perfecting your story.

Or you could try to sell them to a magazine. This means researching which magazines print your kind of story and then querying them. Sometimes you get feedback from magazine editors.

All the best,
Cherish

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) thanks!

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Mod
Any time. :-)

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Mod
I'll be doing a special draw for Goodreads tonight in about 10 minutes. Anyone who has left a comment here with their email will be entered in this draw.

The winner will receive a FREE ebook, awarded tonight.

Cherish

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Mod
And the winner is...

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Mod
Stephanie, congratulations! You've won a free ebook--Remote Control by Cheryl Kaye Tardif (my other writing name...lol)

An email is on its way. Congrats again. :-)

Cherish

message 17: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pams00) | 2 comments Late stopping by but I made it ;). Congrats Stephanie on the win.

Lots of more stops to make tonight!

Pam S
pams00 @ aol.com

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Mod
Great to see you here, Pam. I so appreciate that you're starting from day one and playing catch up on my tour. I'm enjoying reading your comments. :-)

Happy stalking--I mean, following. lol

Cherish

message 19: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pams00) | 2 comments lol ty I am trying :)! I've really been enjoying your different stops and posts!

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Mod
Pam, you're doing a great job at getting caught up with all my stops. :-) I'm enjoying your comments and appreciate your enthusiasm.

All the best,
Cherish