What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Closed Circle
This topic is about The Closed Circle
SOLVED: Children's/YA > Children/YA, 80's, "evil eye," diorama [s]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erin | 192 comments Read this back in the 80's. It was about a group of girls in a small town and there was either a new girl or just one that was different and the group didn't like her. For some reason one of the main girls ended up spending time with the "different" girl and ended up liking her and convinced her friends to spend time with her.

I remember that the back of the book had something about them giving her the "evil eye." Also the strange girl made dioramas, which the other girl really liked. And i think the main reason the "different" girl was unaccepted was just that she lived with her old fashioned grandparents and dressed differently and did things differently. She was quiet and so people thought she was strange.

The dioramas are the main specific thing I remember.

Thanks

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 4 comments Was the book "Afternoon of the Elves"?

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 4 comments By Janet Taylor Lisle?

Erin | 192 comments No, that's not it, thanks though.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanconder) | 19 comments It made me think of "Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade," but I don't think that's it.

How old were the girls?

Erin | 192 comments Oh, probably about 12 or so.
and it's more serious than Nothing's Fair in the 5th Grade.

message 7: by Leela4 (last edited Oct 06, 2010 11:40AM) (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments The plot is "The Hundred Dresses" by Eleanor Estes, but I don't remember dioramas or the evil eye.

Erin | 192 comments Hmm, I don't think that is it either. It sounds close, but I don't remember anything about the dresses or about her moving away in the end.

Erin | 192 comments Bumping

message 10: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 192 comments No, nothing from her books looks familiar, thank you though

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 192 comments Going to bump this again

message 12: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments I hope someone knows the name of this book, because I think I read it too. Sorry I can't help, but I'm excited to know the answer.

message 13: by Lucy (last edited Feb 13, 2012 04:00PM) (new)

Lucy | 54 comments Could it be Daphne's Book
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21...
by Mary Downing Hahn? Daphne is a strange girl that moves to the school and Jessica (the narrator) eventually befriends her and is cast out of her old group of friends. I don't think they do dioramas, but they do have to write a book together. Daphne draws beautiful pictures and Jessica writes the story, which is about a family of mice.

message 14: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 192 comments Sorry, that's not it either. There was no "terrible secret" and the girl that was ostracized was very nice and sweet and quiet, she was just dressing differently because she lived with her grandparents. Her grandparents might have even been from another country.

And I know for sure they did dioramas, although maybe they weren't called dioramas?

message 15: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 389 comments Sounds a bit like Emily of New Moon, by L.M. Montgomery. Most of what you mention fits, if my distant memory serves, except that it was Emily herself who threatened to use the "evil eye," and I just don't remember either way about a diorama. (Unless you're quite sure that your book had a contemporary/modern setting, in which case nevermind! :) )

message 16: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 192 comments No, it wasn't Emily of New Moon. It was part of a series, and it was in modern times.

But thank you anyway!

message 17: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 192 comments Found it!! Totally spending too much time on this site - http://cliqueypizza3.wordpress.com/ and found a bunch of childhood books, including this one!

The Closed Circle by Corinne Gerson