Between the Wars discussion

Novels that best depict the period?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 526 comments Mod
The one that springs most readily to my mind is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. His Tender Is the Night is also a novel of its time, with a good dose of Fitzgerald's own life within its pages.

message 2: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Gabrielle,
Ironic timing your mention of THE GREAT GATSBY (which I love...) as yesterday for my Birthday I received a Beautiful New Edition of it combined with THE DIAMOND AS BIG AS THE RITZ!! And Boy,do I mean Beautiful....
I also in the dame series was given ANNA KARENINA,PETER PAN AND KENSINGTON GARDENS,WALDEN and THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES with the original illustration from The Strand Magazine.....
Along with many other beautiful books and gifts...
I have also been buying books (and managing to stick to my wish-list bar for ROSEBUD an Autobiography of ORSON WELLES...
And today I'm heading up to WIGTOWN SCOTLAND BOOKTOWN..
The question is....."WILL WIGTOWN KNOW WHAT'S HIT IT?"
LOL? Watch this space.....
I will post about all my marvelous adventures in a few days...

message 3: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 526 comments Mod
Lucky you, DJ! And happy birthday! Yes, do keep us posted.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Happy Birthday, DJ!! :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

DJ wrote: "Gabrielle,
Ironic timing your mention of THE GREAT GATSBY (which I love...) as yesterday for my Birthday I received a Beautiful New Edition of it combined with THE DIAMOND AS BIG AS THE RITZ!! And ..."

Haha, you always make me smile DJ :-) Happy belated birthday!

message 6: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Hello Gabrielle,Jeanette and Lauren,
Thank you for the Birthday Wishes....I have had a beatific time indeed :-)
Just leaving Wigtown and have much gossip!! All good by the way....
I will try and get it all posted up over the weekend....
I was really good and only bought 7 books in Wigtown but I did buy a few in The lakes as well....
Haven't tallied my total yet..........
Erm,oh well Chest la Vie.

message 7: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 A Farewell to Arms and The Sun Also Rises

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Meusch  | 1 comments If you Enjoy The Gatsby, please check out my newest Novel, Walking Among Giants ( A Painter in Paradise) based on a fictional painter in the 1920's... it's a great read ( 5 star rating)

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam  Hedrick | 2 comments Michael wrote: "If you Enjoy The Gatsby, please check out my newest Novel, Walking Among Giants ( A Painter in Paradise) based on a fictional painter in the 1920's... it's a great read ( 5 star rating)"

Comparing your drivel to F. Scott Fitzgerald? Few things are more pathetic than people trolling a review site, trying to shill their books. BEGONE, IMBECILE!!

message 10: by AbZeroNow (new)

AbZeroNow | 1 comments Well, Black Oxen by Gertrude Atherton was the best selling book of 1923 and it has flappers and paints a picture of what early 20s intelligentsia were like.

Trying to read through some books from the early 20s now.