Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Reading Classic Horror > Free Classic Horror!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 1343 comments Mod
This is a place to post links to downloable free horror stories/novels (legal, of course). There are tons of free stories on Amazon.com for Kindle and also on Project Gutenburg. I will endeavor to post links to the ones I know about. Those who come across these, help out your fellow readers.

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I need to be schooled in classic horror. I've read far too little of it. That's why I joined this group. I won't be able to contribute much, but I'm hoping to get some good suggestions.

It might be fun to do a classic short story group read once a week (?). I love to be introduced to new short stories and then discuss.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 1343 comments Mod
Thanks for joining, Tressa. I'm no scholar about classic horror. I've just been a fan of it for many years, and I've seriously gotten into collecting it since I was out of college. Regarding the short story reading--That's a great idea, Tressa! And a lot of them are free. It would be like campfire ghost story time!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Love the short story idea :)

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 164 comments I'm still learning a lot about classic horror as well. I'm definitely a newbie, and I love the one short story a week idea.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Jamesian Enthusiast (last edited Sep 16, 2010 08:30AM) (new)

Horror Classics Available on Kindle

**I will continue to add to this list. If you find some not listed, feel free to post, and I will add to this master list. Probably won't be in alphabetical order! It will be too time consuming to include links, but if you go to Amazon.com and scroll down to Kindle Store, you can type in the name of the books. It won't necessarily take you to the free books right away, so do some hunting. If members want to kindly add links when they get these books, it's appreciated!***

Vathek by William Beckford
Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
More Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by MR James
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Bell in the Fog and Other Stories by Gertrude Atherton
Edgar Huntly, Or, Memoirs of a Sleep-Walker and Wieland and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist by Charles Brockden Brown
The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg
The Monk by Matthew B. Lewis
The Ghost of Guir House by Charles Wiling Beale
Enoch Soames by Max Beerbohm
The Willows, The Wendigo, The Complete John Silence Stories, Pan's Garden, The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories,The Man Whom the Trees Loved by Algernon Blackwood
The Great God Pan, The Hill of Dreams, The House of Souls by Arthur Machen
The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers
The Purple Cloud and Prince Zaleski by MP Shiel
The House on the Borderland, The Night Land, Carnacki, the Ghost Finder, The Ghost Pirates, The Boats of the 'Glen Carrig' by William Hope Hodgson
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, Present at a Hanging and Other Ghost Stories, Cobwebs from an Empty Skull, Can Such Things Be? by Ambrose Bierce

I'll continue to add these.

message 7: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 333 comments Fans of William Hope Hodgson and his occult detective Carnacki the Ghost Finder might want to check out the recent podcast (that is to say, audio reading) on PODCASTLE of his story "The Whistling Room". It can be downloaded here. PODCASTLE is the branch of Escape Artists that podcasts new and classic fantasy stories, but I guess they felt Carnacki was close enough to fantasy to make the cut.

This also allows me to mention that those seeking free podcast audio of new and classic HORROR fiction should check out PSEUDOPOD, as we've (I'm an assistant editor for PSEUDOPOD) just returned from a summer hiatus with a new episode consisting of 3 short flash pieces and will be returning to our usual weekly schedule. PSEUDOPOD's main page can be found here.

Thanks, Shawn. I love The Whistling Room!

message 9: by Larry (new)

Thanks, Larry!

message 11: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 93 comments No problem! Each story is a webpage so you save as html or text, then convert to your format with Calibre.

message 12: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 333 comments PODCASTLE, our sister cast, just did another Carnacki story with the same reader, it is "The Gateway of the Monster" by William Hope Hodgson

message 13: by David (new)