Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Movies and TV Talk > Classic Horror Movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 193 (193 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 1347 comments Mod
List your favorite classic horror movies here.

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 325 comments Mod
Danielle, I will need to open up Rotten Tomatoes account just to remember all that I've seen!! I will say in general I love the old Universal movies & anything starring Vincent Price. I just love him.
Off the top of my head, my favorites are:

The Abominable Dr Phibes
The Tingler
House of Wax
House on Haunted Hill
From a Whisper to a Scream
Scream and Scream Again
The Last Man on Earth
The Wolfman
Frankenstein
The Mummy
Creature From the Black Lagoon
The Body-Snatcher
The Black Room
The Haunting
The Omen 1 & 2
The Innocents
Psycho (not sure if other Hitchcock movies count, but I love his stuff)

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (last edited Sep 02, 2010 09:52AM) (new)

What a great list. I admit the Omen movies scare me too much. I can't handle the devil stuff that much. I love Hitchcock and the old Universal and Hammer films. Vincent Price rocks!!!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Love Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Boris Karloff, Peter Lore, and Bela Lagosi. Still catching up on watching their films.

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Carnival of Souls
I Walked with a Zombie
Cat People

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (last edited Sep 02, 2010 10:15AM) (new)

I need to watch those, Tressa. I've seen the remake of Cat People. Are those all by Val Lewton?

message 7: by Martha (new)

Val Lewton also made The Body-Snatcher with Boris Karloff, one of my very faves. Comes together on DVD with I Walked With a Zombie, a very eloquent and enjoyable movie but not very scary.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I never know directors of movies, Dannielle. I wonder if Shawn will join this group? He's a walking encyclopedia of classic horror movies.

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil (philhappy) | 19 comments The complete list of Val Lewton's Horror movies, produced between 42 and '46 are

Cat People
I walked with a zombie
The Leopard Man
The Seventh Victim
The Ghost Ship
The Curse of the Cat People
The Body Snatcher
Isle of the Dead
Bedlam

All of them are worth watching if you can find them.

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Oh, Phil knows a lot, too!

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil (philhappy) | 19 comments Tressa wrote: "Oh, Phil knows a lot, too!"

Ha! I just spend far too much time watching Horror Movies; have done as far back as I can remember.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Thanks, Phil. I heard he was one of the best horror movie directors, although underrated. I watched a documentary on him on TMC.

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Nothing wrong with that, Phil. We all gotta be good at something.

message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil (philhappy) | 19 comments Tressa wrote: "Nothing wrong with that, Phil. We all gotta be good at something."

Cool. I'm gonna add, "Watched a shit load of Horror Movies" to my Resume/CV.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Hey, that's a good asset!

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments There's now a boxed set with all the Val Lewton titles, two to a disc, plus a documentary about Lewton. I got it for my birthday in July!

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

That's awesome, Cathy. Have you watched them all yet?

message 18: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments No, since I got it I've only watched Cat People! But I had seen a lot of them already. I'm looking forward to seeing Bedlam, Isle of the Dead, Curse of the Cat People, and The Body Snatcher. And I last saw The Seventh Victim when I was in college, so it will be practically new to me.

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I haven't seen any of those. I'll have to see if they are on Netflix.

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I thought of some:

The Masque of the Red Death
The Fall of the House of Usher
The Invisible Man

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 212 comments I agree on the Val Lewton films...
The Cat People, Isle Of the Dead...
1.Dracula (Lugosi version)
2.The Beast with Five Fingers
3."M" (Peter Lorre, not a supernatural horror, but a good psychological horror. An early murderer film.)
4. The Body Snatcher (already mentioned, sorry)
5.House of Wax
6. Diary of a Mad Man (creeped me out more than I would have expected)
7.The Wolf Man (Lon Chaney Jr. version)

I know it's more science Fiction, but can I also list The Thing (from another world)1951, James Arness as "the Thing"?

I probably forgot a lot...

Oh! Again more science fiction but truly creepy, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 version I hated the '78 version). Also Invaders From Mars 1953 movie, scared me to death as a kid.

message 22: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 26 comments I simply adore Peter Cushing and Vincent Price. You know that if you could have dinner with 5 people thing? They would top my list.

Some that I truly love

Tales From The Crypt
The Last Man On Earth
Asylum
Night Of The Living Dead
The Fly
Frankenstein
The Bride OF Frankenstein
Peeping Tom
Freaks

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Ah, I love The Birds!

message 24: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) In my latest Southern Living magazine there is a woman dressed up like Tippie Hedrun's Birds character. She found a '50s dress suit, and stuck birds in her hair and blooded her face up. It's a great idea.

message 25: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments I LOVE Peter Cushing! Even post-Hammer, when he was appearing in the most god-awful exploitation crap, he always turned in a good performance.

Speaking of Peter Cushing and exploitation crap, I recently got Shockwaves from Netflix. That's a surprisingly well-made, fun little movie, considering it's about underwater Nazi zombies! It really creates a lovely spooky atmosphere. And of course, Cushing is great in it.

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Shockwaves has a special place in my heart. My dad took my sister and me to see it at a restored antique theater in our city when we were kids . Good memories. I keep meaning to buy myself a copy.

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Wow. I need to check Shockwaves out.

Tippi Hedron was quite a style maven in her day. Hitchcock created some very iconic moments with her and others in his movies. I can see why modern style tries to replicate that.

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert Dunbar | 18 comments Val Lewton -- oh yeah!

Surprised not to see more mentions of THE HAUNTING. Or THE INNOCENTS. Or, my favorite, THE UNINVITED.

message 29: by Martha (new)

I just watched Val Lewton's "Curse of the Cat People" and was very disappointed that it had nothing to do with either a curse or cat people. I understand from looking it up that it's loosely connected to "Cat People" which I haven't seen yet. Still, I felt cheated because I ended up watching a movie with an unrelated title that wasn't even a horror film. I guess this is why you look up films before watching, eh?

Recently I also watched "The Dunwich Horror" from 1970, and I wouldn't recommend that either. It started out well enough but turned into a big mess around halfway through.

Most classic horror I see I do like quite a bit, I guess these two were just duds for me. I'll keep this thread updated when I watch them!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 212 comments Just to be sure, have you seen Lewton's Cat People? This film seems to have simply been intended to take advantage of the previous movie. Cat People had some of the same people but the second film that you mention is more a child's fantasy etc. and you're right, it has no Cat People and isn't really a horror movie. The original (Cat People) is one I can recommend however (the Lewton film, not the later one).

I think most will agree about The Dunwich Horror to. I don't think there's ever been a good movie version of a Lovecraft work.

message 31: by Martha (new)

The newer movies "Dagon" and "The Call of Cthulhu" (a silent film) I really liked. Otherwise every Lovecraft adaptation I've seen was very poor. I will still watch them all, though!
As a note, I know many people love "Re-Animator" but I turned it off halfway through, and I rarely do that to any movie. I thought it was in poor taste and that HPL wouldn't have appreciated it. But I can be pretty rigid when it comes to (what others consider) comedy.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 212 comments I know, I saw Re-Animator years ago with my wife (she watched almost any horror movie) and I remember it was fairly funny at times, though I'm not sure it was funny where it meant to be. :) Haven't seen Dragon or a silent Call of Cthulhu though.

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I don't think I've seen any Lovecraft adaptations. My friend is a big HPL fan, and she watches most of his adaptations, good and bad. She liked Re-Animator, but then she's a big zombie fan. (I'm not).

message 34: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Curse of the Cat People is one those times in low-budget filmmaking where the director was told "Here's a title that will bring 'em in the door, and we've already designed a slam-bang poster! Now go make the movie." So he went off and made the movie he wanted to make that had nothing to do with the title, and threw in a tenuous connection to the first movie so people wouldn't go to the box office and demand their money back. ;-)

message 35: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 26 comments The only Lovecraftian movie that I have enjoyed is Re Animator. I don't know if it is impossible to put his movies on film or what but damn do most of them suck.

message 36: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments The silent Call of Cthulhu really is excellent -- it's the only Lovecraft adaptation I've ever seen that actually feels lovecraftian. And if you watch the DVD bonus features, you can see how very little they spent doing it!

Re-Animator is great fun, but it has nothing to do with Lovecraft, really.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 212 comments Agreed, the only thing I really remember about Re-Animator is how my wife and I laughed at it. I remember someone trying to sneak up behind the guy who's head had been cut off and him lifting his head up in his hands and looking back over his neck in reverse. It's one of those movies built on macabre humor.

message 38: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 26 comments I didn't say it was like the story. I enjoy it. It is pretty damn funny. HAHAHA

message 39: by Steve (last edited Sep 19, 2010 04:03AM) (new)

Steve | 31 comments Three (and a half?) older ones that I would add:

The Black Cat (Karloff & Lugosi) (To my mind the most overlooked golden era horror film out there)

White Zombie

The Abominable Snowman (Peter Cushing)

Also, the first half hour or so of Werewolf of London (The Tibet part)

One new entry (to the great suggestions above):

Session 9

message 40: by Larry (last edited Sep 19, 2010 04:49AM) (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 95 comments Ooh err, where to start...I love the adaptation of Poe's The Raven-i just adore Vincent Price- he is for me THE uber-horror actor!
Oh anyone remember the name of this film of his? Its like 3 stories each featuring Price, and one of them has Robert Morley and his tiny dog, which get made into a pie! Another story features a woman under a hairdryer and her hair gets fried. I cant for the life of me remember its title but it was very impressive to a young Larry and I would love to see it again!
Also The Company of Wolves-loved it!
Then there's another film containing seperate stories, a hammer film I believe which was called The Monster Club, and in one story this man has this destructive whistle. In between each story is a musical interlude with Robbie Robertson- one song had the words I'm just a sucker for your love-so corny!
BTW, anyone a fan of the series Fringe? Do you not think that John Noble, the guy playing Walter Bishop, is a dead ringer for Vincent Price, in looks and voice!

message 41: by Shawn (last edited Sep 19, 2010 02:45PM) (new)

Shawn | 333 comments Larry, the movie you're thinking of is THEATRE OF BLOOD - it's not an anthology, basically it's the same idea as THE ABOMINABLE DOCTOR PHIBES but with a hammy Shakesperean actor (Price, natch) who takes revenge on his critics through Shakesperean inspired crimes. The always lovely Diana Rigg is in it as his "Vulnavia" type character (I'm assuming you've seen DR. PHIBES?).

THE MONSTER CLUB is silly fun. All the stories are by R. Chetwynd-Hayes and the one you mention, "The Shadmock", is very sad (coincidentally, I just reviewed the source story in The Mammoth Book of Monsters and it's very different than the movie version!). I always dug the "Loughville" story in THE MONSTER CLUB, very EC comics.

Cathy, surprisingly RE-ANIMATOR does follow the Lovecraft original stories very closely, it's just that they came from before he started on cosmic horror and was wiriting more ludicrous pulp (the humor, of course, was added).

Myself, I think the two most successful Lovecraft adapts, not counting the silent CALL OF CTHULHU, are DAGON and THE RESURRECTED (which is a rough adaptation of STRANGE CASE OF CHARLES DEXTER WARD) although the two NIGHT GALLERY adaptations (of "Pickman's Models" and "Cool Air" are also both pretty successful).

Just rewatched THE BODY SNATCHER - not my favorite Lewton (which really has to be CAT PEOPLE, but I also have a soft spot for ISLE OF THE DEAD and THE SEVENTH VICTIM - possibly the grimmest ending of a movie ever) but BODY SNATCHER contains my absolutely favorite Karloff performance (heresy, I know, what with the elephant in the room, but still).

Zombette - PEEPING TOM - what a great movie!

Ayeh - DAUGHTER OF HORROR - a wonderful, obscure, surreal masterpiece - like proto David Lynch or something!

Agree, SHOCK WAVES is also pretty damn cool - love those saltwater-soaked, aryan zombie stormtroopers in goggles. Nothing stays dead for long, and certainly not the Nazis....

message 42: by Steve (new)

Steve | 31 comments I just recalled Nosferatu (Kinski version), as well as the original silent version.

message 43: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 95 comments Shawn, no I've not seen, or heard of, Phibes! And yea, the Shadmock, thanks for the reminder!

message 44: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Sep 19, 2010 11:42AM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 212 comments If you like the semi-gory stuff that preceded modern slasher stuff (which I have no use for) you'll probably like Dr. Phibes. It's built around a revenge scenario over Dr. Phibes lost wife and "What happened to him".... Not bad flicks, as I remember the first was the best, but it's been 20+ years since I saw one.

There are a couple of movies that resemble each other, a group of people find themselves together with a stranger who tells stories where each of them one at a time have horrible experiences in the near future, only to find that they are already dead. One takes place on a train I believe Peter Cushing and possibly Christopher Lee may have been in it.

message 45: by Phil (new)

Phil (philhappy) | 19 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "If you like the semi-gory stuff that preceded modern slasher stuff (which I have no use for) you'll probably like Dr. Phibes. It's built around a revenge scenario over Dr. Phibes lost wife and "Wha..."

This is 'Dr. Terror's House of Horrors' made by the great Amicus Productions. It does indeed have both Cushing (as the Tarot reading Dr. Terror) and Lee in it.

message 46: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 333 comments This is also the framing device for the two British EC adaptations, TALES FROM THE CRYPT and VAULT OF HORROR. I think TORTURE GARDEN also follows this formula (or whichever Amicus anthology is the one withe the carnival).

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 212 comments I thought I remembered more than one "movie" using it, but the only one I remembered clearly was the Cushing/Lee one.

message 48: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I really enjoy frame stories.

message 49: by Martha (new)

Ok, it's not a classic horror movie, but a movie based on classic horror should count, right? On the topic of Lovecraft inspired movies, I recently watched Cool Air (instant streaming on Netflix) and I thought it was EXCELLENT. I may be alone in this seeing as most reviewers were saying it was just ok. But I felt like the tone and style of the storytelling was perfect, and the actor playing the doctor gave a great performance. If you're bored and have Netflix, this may pleasantly surprise you.

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (last edited Sep 30, 2010 07:26AM) (new)

Awesome. I'll check it out. I want to try to watch horror movies next month. Can you recommend some newer that are not too gory? I like a good scare but I hate gore.

« previous 1 3 4