Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Wars of Light & Shadow--Ships of Merior, Ch IV, V, VI, SPOILERS!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments This topic will contain spoilers, be warned ye who tread here.

I don't know why it is with these series books but chapter V often seems to contain the first explosive watershed in the plot. No question this book follows that form.

Enjoy your read - and watch out, don't pick up any stray iyats.

I will be in and out if possible through the course of DragonCon. So if I miss a bit, no worries, I'll catch it all up (for this section) before the 7 days are up.

IF it seems quiet - grin - that's because the hares in the bunch are about up to (or past) Stormed Fortress. Hopefully a few will stop by and give a wave -- keep the party warm and enjoy your reading!

message 2: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) I'm one of the hares. 'Wave'. I'll be starting Stormed Fortress very soon.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I'm waving! Already read it twice and know what happens in Chapter V. Ah, that music, what power it has!

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Watson | 55 comments My allergies (ragweed) are making reading difficult but I finished I, II, and III last night. Have a picnic to go to today so hope to read IV, V, and VI tonight/tomorrow. Then I'm ready to post. :)

message 5: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2121 comments Mod
Tortoise checking in ;)

I just finished VI. My reading of these three chapters was somewhat disjointed - in bits and pieces spaced too far apart because life's been too crazy - but I feel like I'm settling back into the story now.

I'm heartbroken over Halliron and getting more and more annoyed with Dakar.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Shel wrote: "Tortoise checking in ;)

I just finished VI. My reading of these three chapters was somewhat disjointed - in bits and pieces spaced too far apart because life's been too crazy - but I feel like I'..."

I'm surprised you can read at all with your schedule. But yes, I began to hate Dakar in this book. He's a most complex character.

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Shel wrote: "Tortoise checking in ;)

I just finished VI. My reading of these three chapters was somewhat disjointed - in bits and pieces spaced too far apart because life's been too crazy - but I..."

Y'all on your first read, pay attention to Dakar, as a majorly evolving character.

message 8: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments I totally don't understand Dakar. I'm trusting he has some major personal journey to undertake because I'm not sure I could take the rest of the series if he stays like he is now. I figure (hope?) there's still a lot more for us to learn about Dakar and a lot more for him to learn about himself.

message 9: by orannia (new)

orannia Being that I haven't read TSOM for...15 years *GULP* I'd forgotten how much Dakar drove me batty.

I figure (hope?) there's still a lot more for us to learn about Dakar and a lot more for him to learn about himself.

*nods*

As for the Koriani - they could be of so much help and instead they (and I mean upper management :) meddle and plot...

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Kerry wrote: "I totally don't understand Dakar. I'm trusting he has some major personal journey to undertake because I'm not sure I could take the rest of the series if he stays like he is now. I figure (hope?) ..."

Trust me, Dakar has a big journey ahead of him. But I was truly enraged with him in this book and also frustrated with Arithon for not fighting back.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments orannia wrote: "Being that I haven't read TSOM for...15 years *GULP* I'd forgotten how much Dakar drove me batty.

I figure (hope?) there's still a lot more for us to learn about Dakar and a lot more for him to ..."

Oh yes, the Koriani have really lost sight of their purpose here.

message 12: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3088 comments Mod
I guess I'm a slug, or maybe a sloth (what's slower than a tortoise--a LOT slower?).

I thought Dakar was annoying yet mildly amusing in the first book but in this book (so far) he is incredibly irritating, frustrating, and wrong-headed. Like Sandra, my dislike and impatience with him is reaching the level of hatred and anger. And frankly, no hint (that I've picked up on, anyway) of why he is as he is. Will I even care when he makes his personal journey?

The treatment of Halliron by the Mayor of Jaelot was beyond insult.

Arithon continue to grow in complexity and (I think) maturity.

message 13: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments Kathi - I felt like that about Dakar too, so I think I can safely say that yes, you will care when he starts that personal journey. But he's going to try very had to avoid it.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Ah yes, Kathi. You will care. I sobbed when it happened. Keep reading. :D

message 15: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Kathi wrote: "I guess I'm a slug, or maybe a sloth (what's slower than a tortoise--a LOT slower?).

I thought Dakar was annoying yet mildly amusing in the first book but in this book (so far) he is incredibly ir..."

What Kerri and Sandra said....;)

message 16: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 171 comments Thank you all for the comments!
I'm with the other readers who find Dakar aggravating, and I also find the Koriani witches very irksome and narrow-minded in their spite for Arithon. I think Luhaine points this out well when he says "They've fixed on the ironies of Arithon's nature and see nothing beyond surface paradox". As far as I could gain insight of their motives, it seems to me they are quite despicable. What is puzzling, though, it's that they came to "know" Arithon through Elaira and through "the strand pattern analogue of Arithon s'Ffalenn's living aura, exposed in the fullness of Fellowship perception". They are given the same knowledge, yet what they make of it is very different. I wonder why the witches run for the hills while the sorcerers don't perceive Arithon as a definite threat. The Mages and the Koriani fear instability, yet the Fellowship seems to value Arithon more than his Mistwraith-bane role (since the Mistwraith is not defeated, only disabled, I take it the sorcerers don't want to relinquish their royal weapons against it). Lirenda and Morriel are very interesting! I think Morriel sees much of herself in Elaira and I'm also intrigued by the possibilities opened by Lirenda being exposed to the younger woman's feelings.

I'm happy to know that what lays ahead may redeem Dakar in my eyes, but it better be convincing, his behavior defies all common sense! He's furiously avoiding any responsibility concerning his royal charge, and whatever misconception or stark truth is haunting him, all he does is avoiding the pain by drinking himself into a stupor.
But his drinking and whoring and swearing were there even before Arithon. And when he's sober in a dungeon, he's not the worse for wear, so I don't think he lulls his senses because he cannot cope with reality.
I've reread his reaction to Arithon during their first encounter, and I cannot make much of it, whatever it is, his enmity is too personal and too raw. Arithon is surely aggravating and is a natural for gaining mistrust, but no matter what he does, Dakar sees all his actions as the fruit of evil intentions. Yet when he interacted with the apprentice Medlir, Dakar actually liked him. I guess it would made sense only if he knew something that has not been revealed yet and that it's a dire prospect to Dakar, which links him to Arithon. I was appalled when he went as far as revealing the prince whereabouts to the herb witch in Tharidor, knowing full well his indiscretion would reach the Koriani witches. One can hope Asandir knows what he is doing.

I loved the scene of Arithon's masterbard's powers reenacting the Paravian solstice rite in Jaelot, it was goosebumps all over. After the humor that added much more levity to the story, since the book opening, the height of that scene and the unfolding tragedy which ends Arithon's years of peace with Halliron are deeply affecting.

Lysaer is indeed a masterpiece of slyness, he's really the one who manipulates and coaxes people into doing his will with appalling effectiveness, he indeed manages the unthinkable even for the most consummate of politicians. His accomplishments are uncanny, yet there's probably more that meets the eye, he is a man of integrity (I loved the image of his "hand-fasting" concerning Talith) and purpose. I'm looking forward to see more about his true motivations and character.

Talith and Elaira, what do you think of them and their relationships with the princes?

message 17: by Sandra (last edited Jan 07, 2015 05:51AM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments love Elaira and her spunk. Talith is a minx but you gotta admire her spunk as well although it's much different than Elaira's. Just wait. Just wait.

message 18: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 171 comments I'm savoring each page, I've just boarded the Drake! I'm kinda curious about both Elaria and Talith, I loved the scene of Arithon plucking hay from her hair in Mistwraith, and I was pleased to see that image, which was so romantic to me, worked for her too :). Talith I'm not sure, I don't dislike her but I fail to see a deeper bond in her relationship with Lysaer, and funny thing is, Elaria spent what, 10 minutes with Arithon and sacrifices everything for him, Talith has spent months with her prince but I don't really see any spark. I understand the Koriani initiate though, it can happen to meet a person and feel soul-bound at once. I don't know, I still cannot relate to Lysaer much and I'm probably missing the nuances of his interest in Talith.