The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Hello from Oxford

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 10 comments Hello everyone,

I'm Jane, 24, living in Oxford, England. I love reading, especially crime novels. Some of my favourite authors are Stuart MacBride, Agatha Christie, Tess Gerritsen, Karin Slaughter, Lee Child andKaren Rose

Look forward to chatting with you although I'm on holiday from tomorrow for a week with no computer so don't think I'm being rude if it takes a while for me to reply

Jx

message 2: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi Jane. Welcome to the Group! and thanks for nominating the Donnelly book. I just recently mooched it and am quite curious about it!

message 3: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome to the group Jane. I'm sure you will find lots to chat about here.

Have a great vacation!

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 10 comments Thanks Donna and Hayes-I really enjoyed A Gathering Light so wouldn't mind an excuse to reread it.

message 5: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Jane, not Colin Dexter?

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 10 comments Haven't read any Colin Dexter-would you recommend him?

message 7: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

It is always tricky recommending a book, or in this case a series, to someone who lives in the town in which the books are set but I would recommend the Inspector Morse series highly.

message 8: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Jane wrote: "Haven't read any Colin Dexter-would you recommend him?"

I've only read the first two of the series so far. I didn't like the first one but really enjoyed the second and now I want to read all of them. I think part of the problem is he started writing them in the 70s and there's a lot of sexist treatment of women - or at least there was in #1.

message 9: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

You do make a good point, Lobstergirl. The books are probably slightly dated in setting and some characterization but if you read them with that in mind you get a pretty good picture of life in the 70s and 80s plus a good mystery.

message 10: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Morse is a horndog - at least in his mind - but thankfully he doesn't always follow through on his lusts. I really enjoy the interplay between him and Sergeant Lewis, who, being a family man, you know is rolling his eyes at Morse's excesses.

message 11: by Esther (last edited Sep 14, 2010 01:46AM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 209 comments I spent my teen years near Oxford. We loved watching the Inspector Morse TV adaptation especially for the Oxford scenery.
Earlier this year I read Last Seen Wearing which was good and surprisingly different from the TV adaptation which I remembered well.
I did find that Morse had a very 1970s attitude to women (also something that was altered on TV) but it was not too horrific and a good reminder of how far attitudes have progressed in 30+ years.

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 10 comments Ah Colin Dexter wrote Inspector Morse-of course, I haven't read any but I saw some episodes on the TV and have been to Morse's favourite pub! (The Trout)

message 13: by James (new)

James Thane (jameslthane) | 123 comments I've read all of the books in this series and would strongly recommend it. Morse is one of my favorite protagonists and the plots are almost always very good.

message 14: by James (new)

James Thane (jameslthane) | 123 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Morse is a horndog - at least in his mind - but thankfully he doesn't always follow through on his lusts. I really enjoy the interplay between him and Sergeant Lewis, who, being a family man, you..."

Yes, that was one of the many fun things about this series.

message 15: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 209 comments Jane wrote: "Ah Colin Dexter wrote Inspector Morse-of course, I haven't read any but I saw some episodes on the TV and have been to Morse's favourite pub! (The Trout)"

I went to a wedding reception at The Trout - lovely place.