The Flashman Club discussion

Book 1: Flashman > Book One - October 2010

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Are we okay with an October reading of the first book?

message 2: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 17 comments Okay with me! Um....better go find it...

message 3: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 17 comments Found the book and it is almost October!!!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm already laughing before page 10. His descriptions are hysterical....the headmaster with a face "like a Turk at a christening." bwahahahaha!

message 6: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 17 comments Crap, you are going to be sooooo far ahead of me. Not even quite halfway thru Wicked Company. Maybe I'll put it down and start Flashman....

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Carey wrote: "Crap, you are going to be sooooo far ahead of me. Not even quite halfway thru Wicked Company. Maybe I'll put it down and start Flashman...."

No, no, no! I'll put Flash down for a bit, I promise. I've got the Dark Road to Darjeeling to read and also The Shining and the old Mystery at Shots Hall. I'll keep busy, I promise!

message 8: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 17 comments I had heard that they were hilarious, can't wait to get started. Going to read like a fiend tomorrow...long BDL turn...no chatting, just reading!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Carey wrote: "I had heard that they were hilarious, can't wait to get started. Going to read like a fiend tomorrow...long BDL turn...no chatting, just reading!"

To be fair, it's much harder for you to get reading done at work. Just pretend you didn't hear the call bell. Isn't there a reset button in the galley anyway? (What call bell? I didn't hear anything)

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire | 9 comments Hi
I've come over for a reread. I love this series and first read them 30 years ago. I think in this book he did not realise what fun he could have with the character and it has a slightly sourer note than the rest of the books.
The history is impeccable and the footnotes are great but his attitudes to women and foreigners are Victorian.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

So glad you came over, Claire! I love getting a perspective from someone who has read these before.

Thank goodness I knew his attitudes before I started the book or I might have been a little (more than a little) taken aback. All I can think now is how much fun Fraser must have had writing them...ha.

message 12: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 17 comments Michele wrote:To be fair, it's much harder for y..."

Oh, I WISH we had a reset button! Will it sound bad if I say that we usually assume they were looking for the light and pushed the wrong button?

message 13: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 17 comments Can't stop picturing Elmer Fudd every time Cardigan is on the scene...wascally wabbit....LOL!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Not sure how I'm feeling about Flash and women. I thought the Judy thing was funny (naming his mare Judy, ha ha), but now we're in Afghanistan and it's not so funny....

message 15: by Claire (new)

Claire | 9 comments yes this is what I meant about about the sour taste of the first book. The others are more fun. I had read several before I read Flashman otherwise I might not have read the others! This was the authors first effort, he has a much surer lighter touch in the subsequent novels and in Flashman's Lady he more than mets his match. Lola Montez is also a dominant woman.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Claire wrote: "yes this is what I meant about about the sour taste of the first book. The others are more fun. I had read several before I read Flashman otherwise I might not have read the others! This was the au..."

I'm glad you said that, Claire...thanks, I don't know if it kept on like that how much I would have liked it. Everything else about the book has been tremendously fun, though!

message 17: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 17 comments I'm glad to hear they improve in that area as well...Afghanistan not a high point...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I think he did say that it was the only time in his life that he'd ever raped a woman....I was counting on him to tell the truth about that.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

So I just have to say that this era of history is not my arena of expertise, so I've been checking up on his history. And am seriously impressed by his historical accuracy --- this is really well-written historical fiction underneath Flashy's antics. Wow.

message 20: by Claire (new)

Claire | 9 comments He is a fantastic historian and Flashmans attitudes are probably fairly accurate bar the cowardice.The footnotes are great.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Claire wrote: "He is a fantastic historian and Flashmans attitudes are probably fairly accurate bar the cowardice.The footnotes are great."

Love the footnotes. Found myself laughing out loud over Flash's thought that if the French ever found out that most British soldiers were like him (full of cowardice and dumb luck), they'd be nipping at England's heels again. :)