Pittsburgh Goodreaders discussion

New around here.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ammye (new)

Ammye | 2 comments Hey there. Just found this site, and interestingly enough this group. New to Pittsburgh area myself, so figured and say a 'hello' to all. :) Look forward to some good discussions in here hopefully.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaspeechpath) | 74 comments Mod
Welcome Ammye,
Several of us in this group started meeting once a month. The person whose book we select for the month picks the meeting locations-so far we have been meeting in Mt. Lebanon. If you are interested let us know-and I will send you the information.

message 3: by Ammye (last edited Sep 06, 2010 10:07PM) (new)

Ammye | 2 comments I'm definitely interested! I'm currently in Clairton, but I am on that side of the city all the time. (mom-in-law's in Bridgeville). My email is Amanda_Evans09@live.com, and I did see that I missed the last meeting by a day, heh. I would deffinitely like to come to the next, however!

message 4: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsay_edmunds) | 28 comments Hi Ammye,
I am new here myself, and also in the general south hills area, though outside Allegheny county. Any book recommendations?

Lindsay
http://writersrest.wordpress.com

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Lindsay wrote: "Hi Ammye,
I am new here myself, and also in the general south hills area, though outside Allegheny county. Any book recommendations?"

Any particular genre?

message 6: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsay_edmunds) | 28 comments I'd like to read a fantasy novel not about vampires.
In nonfiction, I like history and biography.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott Some suggestions for fantasy novels would be:
Neverwhere
The Hunger Games
The Eyes of the Dragon

I read the first two recently and enjoyed both. I read the The Eyes of the Dragon over 20 years ago and thought it was great.

There are also classics like:
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

message 8: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsay_edmunds) | 28 comments I really liked AMERICAN GODS, so chances are I'd like NEVERWHERE, too. AMERICAN GODS was a tour de force -- difficult material that Gaiman handled brilliantly,

And believe it or not, I've never read LORD OF THE RINGS or THE HOBBIT. Should I start with THE HOBBIT?

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul (psinderson) | 43 comments Hi, Lindsay! If you're up for a fantasy novel, I just finished the Codex of Alera series by Jim Butcher. I really enjoyed it. There are 6 books that begin with "Furies of Calderon".

Just thought I would mention it since it's not one of the "Top Tier" fantasy series.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott Lindsay wrote: "I've never read LORD OF THE RINGS or THE HOBBIT. Should I start with THE HOBBIT?"

When I read them, I read The Hobbit first. It is a prequel to TLOTR trilogy. In The Hobbit, you find out how Bilbo finds the ring (and that is actually about 1/3 of the way through the story) and the rest of his adventure with Gandalf.

message 11: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsay_edmunds) | 28 comments @Paul: Thank you for this recommendation. I don't know this series, so am grateful you brought it to my attention.

This month marks the 30-year anniversary of publication of a great SF-fantasy novel, Russell Hoban's RIDDLEY WALKER. In a sense, it is a puzzle novel (the language alone is a continual challenge). A riddling novel. Blogged about it this week: http://writersrest.wordpress.com/
Lindsay

message 12: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsay_edmunds) | 28 comments I want to get to these new books soon, but will have to wait till work subsides a bit. They are to look forward to, with thanks.