Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Television & Radio > Fall 2010 TV Shows

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Totten (katherine42) | 199 comments "Boardwalk Empire" is a new series coming to HBO in September. It focuses on Atlantic City on the eve of Prohibition. Directed by Martin Scorsese this seems to be shaping up to be a big hit.

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Sep 02, 2010 05:17AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Katherine wrote: ""Boardwalk Empire" is a new series coming to HBO in September. It focuses on Atlantic City on the eve of Prohibition. Directed by Martin Scorsese this seems to be shaping up to be a big hit."

Katherine, thanks for posting this new topic.

For reference:
"Boardwalk Empire" (2009):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0979432/
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Boardwal...
(Steve Buscemi plays the character of Nucky Thompson.)
Photo of Steve Buscemi:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm948607744...

Based on the book:
Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City by Nelson Johnson Boardwalk Empire The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City by Nelson Johnson

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Buscemi should fit in perfectly. I loved him as Rockhound in "Armegeddon" plus other roles. Very fun actor.

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I love Steve Buscemi but I don't think I'll be watching this one, just not an era I'm interested in.

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Totten (katherine42) | 199 comments Well, I watched Boardwalk Empire and have mixed feelings about it. I like the setting. Atlantic City in the 20s is very similar to Atlantic City in the 2000's. The same salt water taffy place is featured on the boardwalk. If I can get beyond the violence and foul language, I think I will like the main characters and their many facets.
I'll give it another try.

message 6: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Totten (katherine42) | 199 comments Am going to watch Hawaii Five-0 tonight. There are 2 other shows on in that same time period that I am interested in seeing. I'm glad I have Prime Time on Demand and the ability to record from my cable box. I'm so technically advanced that I didn't know I could use that box to record and I've had it for a few years.

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Tonight is the premiere of The Event. I'm going to give it a try. Unfortunately it's on NBC, they're notorious for cancelling new shows before giving them a chance to take off. So not only do I have to decided if it's worth watching, but determine whether it'll get good enough ratings to stay on the air.

From imdb: When a man goes looking for his missing girlfriend, he stumbles upon a government conspiracy that is bigger than the president himself.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1582459/

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Looks as if there'll be a whole new line-up for us to get used to. The following two links tell about three new sitcoms or series:

"Mike and Molly":
http://tv.nytimes.com/2010/09/20/arts...
"The characters of the title fall for each other at a meeting of Overeaters Anonymous."
"CBS, Monday nights at 9:30, Eastern and Pacific times; 8:30, Central time."

"Raising Hope":
http://tv.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/arts...
"...the rich inner lives of poor characters who are amusingly weak and childish.
Theirs is the world of the hardly working poor."
"a new sitcom having its premiere on Tuesday on Fox."
and
“ 'Running Wilde,' which also begins on Tuesday on Fox and stars the very funny Will Arnett, is supposed to be a screwball comedy about a spoiled heir to an oil fortune..."

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments PS-Below is webpage with links to videos of "Mike and Molly". There's a link to last night's (9/20) full episode which was the first show.
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/mike_and...
Looks good! Some excellent laugh lines!

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Totten (katherine42) | 199 comments Lone Star premiered on Fox last night and was very entertaining. This soap opera like program takes place (of course) in Texas. A handsome,likable con man is torn between 2 wives and the idea that he'd like to go straight. I love the actor James Wolk who evokes a George Clooney essence. I may be hooked on this one.

Hawaii Five-0 was reminiscent of the popular 60's TV series, but it certainly isn't as we remember. It's into the present with high-tech equipment and bigger guns. The saving grace for me, which doesn't make this another cop show, is the role played by Scott Caan, son of actor James Caan. Caan plays McGarret's second in command, Danny Williams. Remember "Book 'm Dano"? I may watch this to follow the development of that role.
He brings an endearing dimension to the character.

message 11: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Katherine, thanks for the interesting comments.
Below are links to Google images of James Wolk and Scott Caan:

James Wolk:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&am...

James Caan:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&am...

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Thanks for telling us about the new shows. I'm forwarding your comments to my wife so she can decide what we will watch.

(Yeah, I'm that downtrodden...)

;-)

message 13: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Get another TV. :)

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments We used to have another one. No one ever watched it. Now we just have the one & that's not on all that often. Hmmm... Actually, I think Marg said there is one in Erin's room, but who could find it?

;-)

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Ah, so Erin and Eric are kindred spirits, LOL

The Event was fantastic! I'm very interested in the story, it caught my attention right from the start. It was out of sequence so you're getting bits and pieces of info and they really did a good job of it. Now, it's got to get the ratings for NBC to keep it. All I can is anyone who did watch it probably liked it and that gives me hope.

message 16: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie, Wiki has a link about "The Event" TV series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Even...
====================================================
"The Event is an American conspiracy thriller television series created by Nick Wauters for NBC."
"The show's pilot episode was told almost entirely in flashbacks to two different time frames. According to Nick Wauters, the show's creator, later episodes will use flashbacks more to develop the characters. 'There will be big reveals and big clues in each episode,' he said, promising that viewers will not have to wait too long for answers to questions raised."

Sounds like I'd have to pay good attention (and have a good memory) in order to piece all the flashbacks together. I don't want to work that hard. LOL

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Jackie wrote: "Ah, so Erin and Eric are kindred spirits, LOL..."

If you mean a complete mess, you're right. Her filing system is neat piles - just lots & lots of them.

At least she's not digusting like my oldest boy was. He literally had chemistry experiments in piles of mixed clean/dirty clothes. Actually, the experiments were as likely to be in a drawer where the clothes should have been. I'm glad those days are over. Normal parents just have to worry about some pot or something (which I never cared about anyway). I had to worry about bacteriological & chemical warfare. Electrolyzing hydrogen in your dresser is just a fire hazard.

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Jim, what interesting children you have.

Joy, yes, you'd have to pay attention. The good thing about these serialized shows is that each episode opens with 'Previously on...' and reminds you of the pertinent scenes.
I like a show that challenges me to think and figure things out. I can't stand the CSI type shows that lead us by the nose like were idiots. I like when they give us the benefit of the doubt that were not completely brain dead. LOL

message 19: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I don't even watch CSI! :)

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Interesting. Yeah, that's one way of putting it. Young Edison, AKA James Jr, set his brother, Brandon, on fire while trying to make glass & got alkaline from a battery in Erin's eyes nearly blinding her. We won't even discuss his electrical experiments, model rockets, cars or airplanes.

message 21: by Jackie (last edited Sep 21, 2010 07:58PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Jim, My mouth is gaping open in big round O.

message 22: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Mine too. Good way to put it, Jackie.
These kids... can't live with 'em and can't live without 'em!

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Oh, you got that right, Joy! LOL

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments I always feel sorry for people that don't have kids. They'll never know the full range of emotion that only your child can put you through. They can make you so mad you want to kill them, then they'll make you so proud & happy that you could burst. Watching James struggle to live after a horse crushed his chest was probably the lowest moment of my life - 6 days in Shock Trauma's ICU. The the little bugger ate a cheeseburger & fries an hour after getting the tube out. It just doesn't get any better than that.

message 25: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I remember talking to a childless couple years ago. The wife said that her mother consoled her by saying: "You don't have the pleasure and you don't have the pain." That was one way to look at it. Attitude is all.

message 26: by Jackie (last edited Sep 22, 2010 11:31AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Oh Jim, that had to be some really scary days. I'm glad he was alright. I have to confess to being terrified of anything happening to Eric.

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Joy H. wrote: "I remember talking to a childless couple years ago. The wife said that her mother consoled her by saying: "You don't have the pleasure and you don't have the pain." That was one way to look at it. ..."

Without great pain, there can't be great joy & vice versa. Attitude only gets you so far.

-----------

It was, Jackie. Actually, all 3 of the kids spent serious hospital time at one point as teenagers. James was the worst, but Erin was in the surgical ICU when she cracked her spleen. Brandon did a couple of days when he flipped a motorcycle. Last time we went to the ER (Marg's gall bladder) the nurse knew we were pretty used to it. Probably not something to be happy about being proficient at, but it's what we've got.

;-)

message 28: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim wrote: "... Without great pain, there can't be great joy & vice versa. Attitude only gets you so far. ..."

Alas, that's probably true, Jim.

message 29: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Sep 22, 2010 06:27PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I'm watching "Better With You", new on ABC-TV. It's terrific! Hilarious! It will be on until 9:00 PM. (This was the pilot.)
"Better with You" (2010)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598876/

message 30: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Jim, wow, lots of stress I'd imagine. I've been very lucky that Eric's been healthy. When he torn his knee at least we knew it wasn't life threatening and that it would be fixed.

message 31: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim, I hope you don't have to go through anymore emergency room visits. You've been through more than your share.

message 32: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Joy H. wrote: "Jim, I hope you don't have to go through anymore emergency room visits. You've been through more than your share."

Thanks, but Mom says it's just pay back for all the times I wound up in the ER. Only one of mine was life threatening & she didn't know about that until it was long over, so I don't think she's right. She just got tired of paying for broken bones & stitches. Like she has room to talk.

I don't know that a summer went by that I didn't wind up with one or the other. I thought it was cool when they came out with fiberglass casts because you could get them wet. Don't ever go in the ocean with one. Sand & rocks get into it. Had to cut it off. Duct tape put it back together pretty well, although the doctor whined about it. I thought it was a good solution. I could go swimming (in a pool!) & then take it off to dry. Not nearly as itchy & I had fantastic range of motion by the time it came off.

message 33: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim, you've reminded me of the time our son broke his wrist and was in a cast. I had forgotten about that. Orthopedists are probably kept very busy with kids' accidents.

message 34: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments The worst thing now is the ER's & doctor's offices won't fix a broken bone. We HAD to see an orthopedic surgeon, even if it's just a crack. Marg & Erin both broke their arms on Friday evenings & had to wear temporary casts until they could see an orthopedic surgeon on Monday & take pain pills over the weekend.

Last time I broke my elbow, I went to the doctor & they sent me to one, too. All that orthopedic doctor did was put me in a half cast for a few weeks. The cost was incredible since the surgeon charges a LOT more, plus it was a hassle. Ditto with Marg & Erin, although their casts lasted the full 6 weeks. Mine was too mangled, so the doctor just tossed it & told me not to hit my elbow on anything. All that drama for such a minor thing. I guess it's because of lawsuits. Dumb.

message 35: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Very discouraging.

message 36: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Just another way to force us to pay exorbitant rates for routine care.

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Back on topic (Bad, Jim!) we watched NCIS last night. Ugh! What a disappointment. The show had been going downhill, but this latest episode hit rock bottom. The plot was completely unbelievable. Yet one more series The Boss can watch without me.

message 38: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Is this the program?
"NCIS: Los Angeles" (2009)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1378167/

message 39: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments No, I generally hate spin-offs & didn't give the LA version a chance. It's the original NCIS with Mark Harmon as Gibbs.

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I didn't pick up NCIS:LA either. I saw the episodes when the characters were introduced on the regular NCIS but they didn't appeal to me.
I love NCIS but you're right Jim, this one was a bit stupid and I was disappointed. But I've been all in for 6 years or so, I'm not going to quit now. Unless every episode is a bad as this one.

message 41: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I watched The Whole Truth last night and that was an utter disappointment. Nothing unique about it. Just the same old courtroom drama.

Terriers has been interesting. On FX on Wednedsays. FX doesn't have that many shows but what they do have is usually excellent.

message 42: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Then it's this one:
"Navy NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service" (original title), TV series 2003-
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364845/
The quotes below are from the IMDb trivia page:
=====================================================
"During the opening credits there is a note about what NCIS represents and it reads: The Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) is a worldwide federal law enforcement organization whose mission is to protect and serve the Navy and Marine Corps and their families."

"The t-shirts that Gibbs wears while working on the boat in the basement of his home are sent to Mark Harmon from law enforcement agencies around the country. He also occasionally wears a sweatshirt with the letters "NIS". This stands for "Naval Investigative Service", the predecessor of the NCIS. An agent with Gibbs' seniority would have begun his career working under that name."
LOTS MORE TRIVIA AT: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364845/t...
=====================================================

Below is from Wiki:
"NCIS or N.C.I.S. may refer to:
* Naval Criminal Investigative Service, a United States law enforcement agency that investigates crimes in the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps
* NCIS (TV series), a United States television show about a group of fictional agents of the above agency

I had no idea! :)

message 43: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Gibbs is my foreman at work Pete. Working on boats by hand, drinks bourbon, stubborn, always right, says everyone's an idiot and they even look alike. He'd smack us in the head if he could get away with it. I call Pete 'Gibbs' every once in a while, and his wife agrees. So does the rest of the shop, for that matter. LOL

message 44: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments Jackie wrote: "I watched The Whole Truth last night and that was an utter disappointment. Nothing unique about it. Just the same old courtroom drama.

Terriers has been interesting. On FX on Wednedsays. FX ..."

I haven't watched Whole Truth yet, but I've been industriously eliminating new shows by the dozen. My plan is to record them only once, rather than accumulating 6 episodes before I find out I hate them. I hate Outlaw, Hawaii 50, The Event, Chase. I was going to drop Terriers, but watched a 2nd epi and it wasn't so bad. One sure turn-off for me is showing me a 20-something guy with one of those oh-so-carefully tended 3 day beard right in the beginning (NCIS, LA). That 2½ strikes against the show right there. I don't know why I detest those fake beards so much. I do realize that I can be 'babied' into not-hating a show simply by watching it enough to get hooked on the characters. Several of my 'regular' shows are like this. Eventually I drop them. Chuck is an example.
I may stick with The Defenders for a while, but it's just another so-so lawyer show.
Sons of Anarchy is back but doesn't seem quite as good as last year.
It could be that Netflix is spoiling me. Not all of those are good either, but they're usually better than my regularly recorded shows I can barely stand.

message 45: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments About the "3 day beard", I'll never even get used to the new style of "five o'clock shadow" and even more bristles than that. Too scruffy looking. But then again, "scruffy" seems to be the new style in personal appearance.

Oh, for the days when all the men had crew-cuts. :)

message 46: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments We watched the Atlantic city boardwalk thing last night & liked it. Might be fun. Steve Bescumi (sp?) is a favorite of both of ours, though. While we'd seen him around, his performance in Armageddon was what clinched it for us.

message 47: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Earl, I hate that beard thing. Joy is right, it's scruffy looking and to me that means dirty, unwashed-looking. Nothing attractive about that look.

I liked The Event a lot. And I'm hoping Outlaw isn't so bad because I want to see Jimmy Smits in another TV show.

message 48: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments Jackie wrote: "Earl, I hate that beard thing. Joy is right, it's scruffy looking and to me that means dirty, unwashed-looking. Nothing attractive about that look.

I liked The Event a lot. And I'm hoping O..."

It's not the scruffiness I object to, it's the FAKINESS. My beard doesn't grow that uniform, and most guys I know are the same. A 3-4 day beard DOES look scruffy. These guys have it oh-so-carefully trimmed down to a uniform length. My feeling is: if you're going to shave, SHAVE. These little fake beards are an affectation.

message 49: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Women are lucky that they don't have to shave their face every day to look well-groomed.

message 50: by Nina (last edited Sep 25, 2010 07:51PM) (new)

Nina | 6066 comments You are so right Jim, kids do supply you with every kind of emotion and even though sometiimes I had to wonder with six of them, how did I, an only child get into all this, but I wouldn't have traded one of them at their worst and especially not at their best. God Bless them. When I thought one brother was "killing" the other one they would yell, "You don't know what it's like, you never had a brother." Sadly, I didn't. nina

« previous 1