Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > sherry's august reads

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3570 comments Life Sentences- laura lipman (i was disappointed with this one)
Live to Tell- lisa gardner (another good one by gardner, although the story was a little dark)
The Blessings of the Animals: A Novel- katrina kittle (loved it)
The Passage- justin cronin (if i'd know this was the first in a trilogy, i'm not sure i'd have read it. was good, but not my favorite genre)
The Red Thread- ann hood (i needed something much lighter after reading the passage and this fit the bill perfect. loved it)
One Day-david nicholls (everyone i know who read this book loved it. i didn't . i liked it, but didn't love it. the ending was very predictable)

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2943 comments Lippman seems to have changed her genre. I'm kind of afraid to buy her now.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3570 comments Barry wrote: "Lippman seems to have changed her genre. I'm kind of afraid to buy her now."

i hope not, barry. am waiting for her newest to arrive at the library.

message 4: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3475 comments I enjoyed Kittle's earlier books. I think I have one unread can't remember the title but it's that the one you read.

message 5: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Sherry wrote: "One Day-david nicholls (everyone i know who read this book loved it. i didn't . i liked it, but didn't love it. the ending was very predictable)

I have this on library reserve. It seems to be the new favorite among reviewers which often means that I won't like it either. I'll let you know if I ever get my copy (tons of reserves ahead of me).

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments Not a bad month. I haven't been reading THE PASSAGE threads, but am thinking about giving it a shot.

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3570 comments Melodie wrote: "Not a bad month. I haven't been reading THE PASSAGE threads, but am thinking about giving it a shot."

i think you'll like the passage, melodie. read the no spoiler thread and you'll get a sense of the book without any spoilers.

message 8: by Ann (last edited Sep 02, 2010 08:50PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Barry and Sherry:
I caught Laura on TV on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson this week and the new book sounded intriguing. I haven't read enough of her books to note a change of genre? She mentioned it is a very dark book. I guess I thought her books were rather dark.
http://mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com...

Barry wrote: "Lippman seems to have changed her genre. I'm kind of afraid to buy her now."

Sherry wrote: "Life Sentences- laura lipman (i was disappointed with this one)."

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3570 comments Ann wrote: "Barry and Sherry:
I caught Laura on TV on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson this week and the new book sounded intriguing. I haven't read enough of her books to note a change of genre? She me..."

thanks carol!