Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > Suggestions for October

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (last edited Sep 04, 2010 04:08PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments The werewolf list thread inspired me. I love werewolf stories, so I was thinking of a werewolf theme for our October read.

Please list your suggestions here. And happy hunting!

###EDIT###

I forgot to mention that I will open the poll around Sept 11. So, I will stop suggestions then.

message 2: by Agent 99 (new)

Agent 99  (agent99formerlykd) I usually like to read books about real hauntings before Halloween. Last year I bought Haunted Heartland.

message 3: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments The Wolfman by Jonathan Maberry.

message 4: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 244 comments I second Jonathan's "The Wolf Man." I wanted to read that one anyway but have always pushed it off. Jonathan is also hanging around here on GoodReads so he could possibly join the discussion of the book.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I third The Wolfman

and also suggest Wild Blood by Nancy A Collins

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Guido wrote: Jonathan is also hanging around here on GoodReads so he could possibly join the discussion of the..."

Which would be awesome! If it wins, I shall ask him.

message 7: by Branden (new)

Branden (cinefessions) | 235 comments How do you guys feel about a short story collection? I will suggest The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men, edited by Stephen Jones. I've had it in my TBR pile for a couple months now. Jonathan Maberry's The Wolfman sounds good too.

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments The Wolfman and The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men are both great suggestions. I've had The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men on my TBR shelf for some time, as well.

message 9: by Moon (new)

Moon Frostbite by David Wellington

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments That's a great suggestion, too!

message 11: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Crap, I need to participate soon and I don't have the wolfman book but I am sure I'd like it seeing as I am a Maberry fan. Can't afford anymore books now though. Grrr

message 12: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 244 comments We could also read Greg Lamberson's "The Frenzy Way," a hot werewolf novel that is getting killer reviews.

message 13: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments That does look good. I love the cover. Too bad there's no eBook version. Snail mail.

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments That's another great suggestion. Lamberson's a good author!

message 15: by Savanah (new)

Savanah Andrews (savanahwhit) | 14 comments Bitten has been on my TBR list for a while. My neice gave it 5 stars and Kelley Armstrong is a Canadian author.

message 16: by Lee (last edited Sep 08, 2010 07:47PM) (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Doing a little looking around on this subject, came up with a "ground breaking novel before it's time"

"Darker Than The Night" by, Jack Williamson (1948)

An old one I'll have to see if she has at the used book store in town.

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Sometime within the next few hours I am going to set up the poll. So, if anyone has any suggestion, you'd better do it now. :)

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Okay, the poll is up:

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/38...

Hsppy reading!

message 19: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3134 comments Mod
Moony wrote: "Frostbite by David Wellington"

I second that hehe.. since I got it a while back

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments FROSTBITE is next on my TBR list. Although I am doing a Halloween Horror Book Club next month at my store, and we're reading 'Salem's Lot. I've been wanting to do something like this for YEARS. My boss thought it was a cool idea. :)

message 21: by Gary (new)

Gary I think the next book should be The Halloween tree
by Ray Bradbury.

message 22: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 244 comments Seeing that the poll bias is definitely geared towards "The Wolfman" and considering that I wanted to read the book for some time anyway, I have just loaded "The Wolfman" onto my Kindle.

message 23: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I have the audio.

message 24: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) Gary wrote: "I think the next book should be The Halloween tree
by Ray Bradbury."

I read "Something Wicked This Way Comes" then "The Halloween Tree" last October. I didn't care for the Halloween Tree but those are two great books to read during October. This year, I'm reading "The October Country."

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments Hey all. Since I'm pretty newbie around here, and I really want to participate in the October reading - when will it officially be decided? And where can I find that info?

Thank ye.

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/38...

Voting ended today. At HA, on the right hand side of the page at the top, you can always click on the Polls link to go to the latest poll.

The Wolfman by Jonathan Maberry won.

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments Thanks, Tressa! I will keep my eyes peeled next time!

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments The Wolfman is indeed our winner. I created the thread for this early, as there are usually some who like to start early.

Here's the link to the discussion:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments No problem, Lori. Lots of members can't find that poll link, including me when I first joined.