Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dan's August Reads

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2626 comments 1. 61 Hours, Lee Child. I'm mellowing on the ending, but I still don't think it was appropriate.

2. Perjury, Stan Latreille. Legal thriller with a pretty good plot. Written by a retired judge.

3. Storm Prey, John Sandford. Ah, lots of Heather. My favorite Sandford character by far.

4. Changes, Jim Butcher. I really enjoy this series.

5. Deep shadow, RWW. His Florida books are my favs, and this one is no exception.

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Looks like a good month, Dan. I've not mellowed on the ending. Cheap shot at selling the next book, imho.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments I read 61 HOURS early in the month and thought is was pretty much just okay. It's the only Reacher book I've read all the way through and I won't read any others. I did like reading about the snowstorm when it as close to 100 here!

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2960 comments I think 61 hours was just the first half of this year's book.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Barry wrote: "I think 61 hours was just the first half of this year's book."
I agree, Barry. Lee Child does not need to try tricks to get people to read his next book. I said earlier on another thread that I think this book got away from him and was too long. He broke it down to two separate books. This is the first he has published two books in a single year.

message 6: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2626 comments I said earlier on another thread that I think this book got away from him and was too long. He broke it down to two separate books. This is the first he has published two books in a single year.

Gee, since it's one book, you don't suppose Part II will be free then, do you?

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Dan said: Gee, since it's one book, you don't suppose Part II will be free then, do you?

Some how, I doubt it. :-)

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14285 comments Dan:
I can feel a chill just thinking about 61 Hours and enjoyed reading it.
I was certainly surprised by the ending, and wondered about two books released in a year, I can see the publisher suggesting another book instead of a longer book.

Daniel wrote: "1. 61 Hours, Lee Child. I'm mellowing on the ending, but I still don't think it was appropriate."

message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2626 comments I can see the publisher suggesting another book instead of a longer book.

I can see it too, Ann. The dollar signs were just overwhelming, no doubt.

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments What a cynic. The publisher clearly had the welfare of fans in mind.. s/he knows how much we love suspense, and was just helping to prolong the experience.

Daniel wrote: "I can see the publisher suggesting another book instead of a longer book.

I can see it too, Ann. The dollar signs were just overwhelming, no doubt."

message 11: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2626 comments What a cynic. The publisher clearly had the welfare of fans in mind.. s/he knows how much we love suspense, and was just helping to prolong the experience.

Right, Carol. Won't keep you since Publisher's Clearing House is probably knocking at your door right now.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Attaboy!!! That's more like it.

Daniel wrote: "What a cynic. The publisher clearly had the welfare of fans in mind.. s/he knows how much we love suspense, and was just helping to prolong the experience.

Right, Carol. Won't keep you since Publisher's Clearing House is probably knocking at your door right now. ..."

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments I keep checking my library to put my name on the list for Worth Dying For, and they are still not showing it on order...very odd - I think it's out next month. Might have to order for my Kindle.

message 14: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 10, 2010 05:41PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Dawn, I've been toying with the idea of waiting until Worth Dying For comes out before reading 61 Hours, and reading them back-to-back. I'm sensing this would be a good idea....

Dawn wrote: "I keep checking my library to put my name on the list for Worth Dying For, and they are still not showing it on order...very odd - I think it's out next month. Might have to order for my Kindle."

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14285 comments Carol:
yes, it probably would!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Dawn, I've been toying with the idea of waiting until Worth Dying For comes out before reading 61 Hours, and reading them back-to-back. I'm sensing this would be a good idea..."