100 Best Novels - Discussion > A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LynnB (new)

LynnB September - November 2010

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway A Farewell to Arms

Post comments here!

message 2: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Got this one at the library today, so I'm going to start reading it.

message 3: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Rothbard (polycarp55) So I now dislike Ernest Hemingway thoroughly. There is too much pain in this world. We don't need any more depressing bearded talk, from a guy who loved only romantically and never found real love in his life time. I am sorry he felt so much, but his psychiatrists should have given him some Prozac and therapy so he could have used his great journalism to uplift humanity not bring it down into the awful muck.

message 4: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Gregory wrote: "So I now dislike Ernest Hemingway thoroughly. There is too much pain in this world. We don't need any more depressing bearded talk, from a guy who loved only romantically and never found real lov..."

I'm only part way through and finding it slow going - sounds like it doesn't pick up! But I will keep reading...at least a while longer...

message 5: by LynnB (new)

LynnB At first I didn't know if I could get through the story, but there were bits and pieces that kept me going. I found the descriptive passages to be quite good and enjoyed them. His descriptions of the war were very believable .... however, the conversational sections were too abrupt, jolting and often felt like they were written by someone without any emotional input except of the histrionic kind. Finally gave it 3 stars.

message 6: by LynnB (last edited Oct 16, 2010 06:26PM) (new)

LynnB In updating my reading log, I see that this book has the benefit of being on both Board and Reader's Lists!

message 7: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I am about halfway through it and I am sad to say that I am not loving it. I find the dialogue to be jumbled and confusing because it is not clear who is talking. I am also annoyed with Catherine's character, she is sooooooo submissive and co-dependent on Henry that it drives me crazy, especially when she refers to herself as a "good girl". I will see where the plotline goes from here, but so far I am unimpressed.

message 8: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Rothbard (polycarp55) Trisha wrote: "I am about halfway through it and I am sad to say that I am not loving it. I find the dialogue to be jumbled and confusing because it is not clear who is talking. I am also annoyed with Catherine..."

Hemingway did have submissive women. But in one of my favorite stories by him "the Big Hunt"; a wife gets so tired of her husbands bravado, that she actually hunts him down when he is in the safari hunting an elephant, I do think that Hemingway had a weird respect for females. Also the time period that the book was written was definitely during the 1950's where women were expected to be subservient to the male.

message 9: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I finished it and I stand by my initial feeling of not loving it, especially the ending - which I found to be fairly predictable and soooo depressing. Though I am amused at the thought of a wife hunting her husband while he is on safari! Hahaha!

message 10: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (sounix) | 133 comments Mod
Not my favorite Hemingway. In fact, I had a hard time “getting into” the story as it didn’t seem to cary me along like some of his other works.

I was amused to find the quote, “the world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places,” which strikes me of the later quote in moveable feast.

Still, I liked the ending and his short sentences that don’t comment but yet, somehow, thoroughly emote are enjoyable.

2/5

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin I really liked this book, despite its ending. The only other Hemmingway novel I've read was The Sun Also Rises, which I really didn't like until my high school English teacher explained to me. Being a history nerd and armed with what I know about Hemmingway's style from high school, it makes sense to me why he chose to write the book as he did!

The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Farewell to Arms (other topics)