Fashion Book Lovers! discussion

Diane: A Signature Life: My Adventures in Fashion, Business, and Life
This topic is about Diane
Past Fashion Book Group Reads > Diane: A Signature Life by Diane Von Furstenberg

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 524 comments Mod
This is for the discussion of the September/October fashion book winner Diane: A Signature Life by Diane Von Furstenberg.

Diane: A Signature Life

I am waiting for this to come in at my library and can't wait to begin! Feel free to let me know how you like Diane: A Signature Life!

message 3: by Pippa (new)

Pippa Strong (pippasp) | 7 comments I am ordering this now !

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments I just got my copy via interlibrary loan - Aha! Diane and I were born the same year. I have definitely not aged as well as she.

Sandra said to you:

Diane von Furstenberg is the featured designer on next week's America's Next Top Model (Wednesday night in most markets).

Thought everyone would want to know! Thanks Sandra!

Finally got the book today! I will post later about what I think!

message 7: by Jamie (last edited Sep 21, 2010 01:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I feel like she could go more in depth about the people and places she mentions in the book. It seems to be going quickly over parts of her life but I do not feel like I am really getting to know Diane. Minus all that, I really am enjoying the book. It is a nice quick read!

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments I've finished Diane and I agree that it doesn't really have the depth I'd have liked. Lots of name-dropping and bare-bones 'and then I did this' style rather than thoughtful observations. Maybe that's a bit harsh... she did cover her personal philosophy and emotional life quite well.

And I enjoyed reliving eras I lived through albeit from a much more commonplace perspective rather than her jet-set view. It really paid for her to have know the type of people who could open all those doors that lesser folk have to pound on for years to even get noticed. Being a Princess has its advantages. Was her success luck or did she make her own luck by knowing what she wanted and figuring out how to get it?

I think both. She would not have had the resources available to get noticed if she was not who she was. That aside, she worked hard to get where she is, running a business by herself basically for a few years. She executed an idea that she had and the world took hold.

So what does everyone else think of the book?

Sorry I am so far behind and have not finished the entire book yet! It is definitely hard to read three to four books every two months, work, have a social life and be a couch potato haha! I am almost done and promise to finish before the month is over! I will be commenting on what I thought of the whole book soon!

I just finished the book! It is a wonderful quick read! I feel inspired to work on my dreams for the future but feel like my life is a disappointment compared to everything Diane was able to accomplish at such a young age.

From the book you can learn family and friends are important and can help you get through rough times in life and staying true to yourself is the key to success in business and your personal life.