100 Best Novels - Discussion > Appointment in Samarra - John O'Hara

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LynnB (new)

LynnB September - November 2010

Appointment in Samarra by John O'Hara Appointment in Samarra

Post comments here!

message 2: by Willis (new)

Willis | 27 comments I'm about 3/4 through Appointment in Samarra. It's a very enjoyable read and is very reminiscent of Fitzgerald, although not quite up to that lofty level, in my opinion. The main story line of the book is very engaging and page-turning; the characters are memorable and believable; the main character, Julian English, especially so. There are tangents that were somewhat laborious to get through, but overall this is 'so far so good', and for what it's worth, I'll already say, a book I'll read again.

message 3: by Willis (new)

Willis | 27 comments finished the book - the end did not disappoint.

message 4: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I just finished the book and gave it 3 stars. It was good/okay. The story was easy to read and the author did a good job of making a believable setting and story. Much of the book is told through the lives of the other characters and at the beginning I had a hard time determining who the central character was going to be. I think I mostly enjoyed the short retelling of a fable by W. Somerset Maugham -- found at the front of the book -- which explained its title.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I am finally getting to this one! I am only about 20 pages into the story (it is short) but I wanted to let you know I am breaking ground on another ML book.

message 6: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Stephanie wrote: "I am finally getting to this one! I am only about 20 pages into the story (it is short) but I wanted to let you know I am breaking ground on another ML book."

Woohoo! Way to go Stephanie! :)

message 7: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (sounix) | 133 comments Mod
After initially not thinking much of the book I find myself thinking back to it here and there. Specifically the fatalism in the novel to which his actions consign him. It's especially amusing as he at first things to himself that he'd never do this vivid image that is presented in his head.

The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Appointment in Samarra (other topics)