The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge discussion

100 Best Novels - Discussion > Henderson the Rain King - Saul Bellow

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LynnB (new)

LynnB September - November 2010

Henderson the Rain King (Penguin Classics) by Saul Bellow Henderson the Rain King

Post comments here!

message 2: by Garlan ✌ (new)

Garlan ✌ I read this one several years ago and really loved it at the time. Its probably more of a "guy" book (I'm not sure how much it will appeal to women), but I could be wrong; I often am... LOL
I may need to dust off my old copy and give it another read.

message 3: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Rothbard (polycarp55) I am going to start that book soon.

message 4: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I just started this one and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. Gene Henderson is rich, not all that interested in his ex-wife, wife or kids, and takes off for Africa on a lark. That's about how far I am in the book, so we'll see what comes next. It is an easy read, though.

message 5: by LynnB (new)

LynnB While I started out not quite "getting" the book in the first few chapters, it ended up as an entertaining story...sort of a Don Quixote in Africa. I gave it 4 stars.

message 6: by Garlan ✌ (new)

Garlan ✌ I'm glad you liked it, LynnB. This is one of Bellow's most accessible books IMO, but I've really liked all that I've read by him. Some of his books are just harder to get into, and are curturally and intellectually different from most mainstream books.

message 7: by LynnB (new)

LynnB @ Garlan - I see that we have another Saul Bellow book on the list, so I'm glad to hear that you've liked other books by him. There's hope! ;)

The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Henderson the Rain King (other topics)