Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Lorraine"s Aug. Reads

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments The Last Hero: A Life of Henry Aaron by Howard Bryant (non fiction)
Aaron, a baseball icon, had 755 home runs and 2,297 R.B.I.s.
In 1954 he made $6,000 per year and in 1973, when he retired, he made $165,00 per year. When he retired he invested in fast food chains in the Atlanta area. He was given a BMW dealership as a gift, at no cost to him. By 1976, he was making $240,00 per year. I found this book interesting in telling of the early days of the sport, but, I also found Aaron a man of contradictions. The author defends Aaron's actions by stating he's shy, quiet and doesn't like the spotlight.
But, I also saw a man who was asked to get involved in the civil rights movement, when other black athletes were(Clay/Ali,Mays), Aaron chose not to get involved. He stated he only cared about baseball. When he was asked over and over again to participate, show up for the game of Bonds breaking his record, he declined. Finally, he relented, but only on his terms. Aaron would tape a video of congratulations to Bond, but would not attend the game. Later, when Sosa and McGuire had to testify about steroid usage, he was asked time and time again about their records were not "true" to the game. No comment from Aaron, but plenty from Mays. All thru these years though, he was bitter because he felt he wasn't recognized as a Black Baseball Hero. He was honored and respected in so many ways, but he didn't seem to notice. Many people supported him, among them, baseball commissioner, owners of teams, and Presidents Clinton and Carter. He received several medals from the government and invited to the White House several times. Other players didn't seem to get along with him, there were no comments from fellow players. It seemed to me, nothing big enough could be done to satisfy Aaron. In my opinion, he's a jealous, bitter man. He now resides in Florida. A thoughtful book.

Lost Echoes a novel by Joe R. Landale
(Edgar Award Winner, Six-time Bram Stroker Award Winner) a gift from Dave, an old AOL member
Harry Wilkes has experienced visions since having a childhood illness. The visions are triggered by sounds and he sees tragic events. Harry meets a friend, Tad, who helps him master his gift. A childhood friend comes to Harry to ask him to solve her Father's suspected murder. Harry "sees" the crime which puts him and others in danger.
A good read.

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Interesting insight into Hank Aaron, the man. He was always a hero to my dad, but that was for his baseball prowess. Hard to know the real people behind the celebrity headlines.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments No doubt Hank Aaron was a great baseball player, but he always came across as a jerk to me. Sounds like I was right.