Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Baltimore doesn't have anyone I'm terribly excited about this year, but DC!

Suzanne Collins
Rebecca Stead
Judith Viorst
Norton Juster (the Phantom Tollbooth!)
Timothy Egan
Isabelle Allende
http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/authors

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments Woot! Isabelle Allende.

My favorite book festival is in Decatur Georgia--starts Friday (tomorrow). The parade grand marshal is J. Franzen! The Children's Parade has the theme of Llamas in Pajamas, and you are supposed to wear your jammies.
I am sorry I'll miss it this year, but my brother-in-law is turning 60, so we are having a party.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I missed most of the authors I wanted to see, but Timothy Egan and Rebecca Stead were both excellent, and my friend who got there earlier said Suzanne Collins gave a great talk.
The lines for Franzen and Diana Gabaldon and Jonathan Safron Foer and Collins all stretched for miles.
It was very different from the Baltimore festival. DC is all talks and signing booths, with one giant Borders-run tent to buy the authors' books in.
Baltimore is more of a book festival than an author festival. It has talks and signings, but also lots of independent publishers and local organizations and bookshops selling random stuff, and a Radical Bookfair selling zines and activism and vegan brownies.
I did DC on Saturday and Baltimore on Sunday. DC had more authors that I wanted to hear, but Baltimore was a more interesting festival overall.

Are your cities' book fests more author oriented or book oriented?

message 4: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I love The Phantom Tollbooth!

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Sep 27, 2010 08:23AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Me too! I was very sorry I forgot to bring my copy, and that I didn't get to hear him speak. I was with friends, and somehow our agenda became my agenda, and I started feeling guilty about it partway through the day.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24076 comments Mod
I've only been to Chicago's book fest once and I know there were author events but I didn't go to any of them. I stayed in the bookseller/publisher tents area.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.