Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1)
This topic is about Pretty Little Liars
Pretty Little Liars > A Couple Questions

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

1. Did this book make you wanna read the others?

2. Which character is your favorite? Which ones do you not like? Why?

3. Discuss, do you think real girls their age, act that way?

Noelle (missnoellerenee) | 40 comments 1. Yes, I've read them all(:
2. Aria & Spencer are probably my favorite, just because they seem semi mature. My least favorite character is Melissa.
3. And I would say the author exagerates teen behavior. In my opinion you hear about stuff that theses girls have done in the book in reality, yet just because their all friends and are all going through this stuff at one time it makes in unrealistic.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

1. I stopped after the second one >.<

2. Mmm...I like Aria I think thats the one. I also like Hanna. I dislike a lot of them actually >.<

3. I have to agree with Megan here. You do hear girls this age going through/doing all these things, just not a group of friends all at one time.

Amanda (writers_soul) 1. I've read the first one and really really want to read the rest.

2. I hate every charecter because they are all overly annoying and snobby bratty spoiled people.

3. Yes I do know for a fact that girls there age act that way. It's annoying because it makes people think all teens act like that which we don't. Yea it is a little weird that ALL the friends go through it at the same time but it could happen.

Gloria (gloriastz) 1. Not exactly, I started this books because of TV series. The first book isn't very interesting, but after the third you cannot stop reading them!

2. Hanna! I like all the girls, because they have different problems, which are typical for a teenager, but I like Hanna most. The girls in TV series are also pretty, but they don't look like the girls in books... I don't like Alison, she manipulate them all, that's not a real friendship!

3. Yes, the book shows us 4 different types of teenage problems. The stories are real, that's one of the things, that made me read the series.

Betsy (betsypie) 1. I do want to read the rest of the series because I'm interested in what's going to happen. However, after reading just the first book, I have to say I prefer the TV show (weird). I thought the writing in the books was stilted and awkward. All the brand name dropping didn't fit in smoothly either. It seemed really forced.

2. I really like Spencer and Aria - probably because those are my two favorites on the TV show.

3. I think some real girls in high school act that way, but I also think there may be a little exaggeration in the characters. But I definitely think the individual problems the girls are dealing with are problems girls deal with in real life.

Nikki (nikk329) | 32 comments 1. Yes and I'm up to the 5th book.

2. I like Aria because she's the only one I can somewhat relate to her character the most out of the girls. I dislike Mona the most because she's just so vile of a person

3. Yes I think how the girls act are typical for teenage girls.

message 8: by Tara (last edited Sep 05, 2010 06:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara 1. I plan on reading more in the series. Love the show, and the book proved to be fun as well.

2. I am an Aria fan. I love her on the show and she was the most likable for me in the book as well. I like Emily on the show so much more than I liked her in the 1st book. Hoping she develops more in the next few books.

3. I see some characteristics of teenage girls, but it is a bit unrealistic that all the stuff happens to this group of 4 girls. Also, the same issue I have with the show... not sure how A gets the information on the girls. I can't see any young girl with that much time on her hands to spy on 4 separate girls.

Lani (crahfty) 1. I've read the first book and want to read the others, they're just not on the top of my tbr pile.

2. Spencer and Aria are my favorites. I liked their storylines and they seem to be the most mature. I disliked Hanna because she just doesn't seem to change. Maybe she'll get better with the series.

3. I'm sure some girls their age act that way, even though my high school experience was so far from it. No male teacher in my high school was even swoon-worthy :(

JennRenee (jennreneeread) Yes I will continue with the series. I have not decided yet if it is becuase I want to know the rest of the story or if it is becuase I cannot abandon a series.
I think I like Aria the best. All the girls have really big issues so its hard for me at the age of 34 to relate and not want to ground them.
I have not been a teen in so long, I really don't know how most teenagers act. I would hope that they do not act like this. I do have a 17 year old daughter and do not think she would want to get involved with a teacher. I think that the most realistic issue of the girls is the bulemia.

message 11: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 5 comments 1. Yep, I just finished the 5th book.

2. Aria is my favorite. She seems the like she is the most mature and she doesn't try to change herself to fit in which I like. I don't like Hanna at all, she just annoys me for some reason.

3. There are some girls that do act like that, though it doesn't seem like it happens as often in real life at in the books.

message 12: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna 1. I really liked the first one as it reminded me so much of the suburbs of most larger cities. I found the books got a little tedious, however, I might go back--I got up to Unbelievable.
2. I really liked Emily as I thought her storyline was true to daily struggles
3. I think girls really do act that way--how many times has a teacher/coach been busted for inappropriate behavior with a teen? Even in the 80s we had a couple of coaches marrying girls shortly after HS graduation. I guess the flip side question is do you think parents act like the parents in the book?

message 13: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen 1. Did this book make you wanna read the others? Yes, the mystery made it hard to put down. I was disappointed that I didn't get any answers, but that makes me want to read the next one.

2. Which character is your favorite? Which ones do you not like? Why? My favorite is Emily. She's the most believable w/her problems. I loathed Hanna. I wanted to smack her spoiled face on multiple occasions.

3. Discuss, do you think real girls their age, act that way? No way... At least where I'm from. But if someone were to write a book about real life 13 yr olds, it prob wouldn't sell. lol

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Halligan (bookandlatte) | 13 comments 1. Yes. I had a hard time getting into this one, but once I did, I had a hard time putting it down. It was a fun, quick read.

2. My favorite characters are Aria and Spencer, I felt like I could identify with them the most (but not in the inappropriate relationship way!), my least favorite were Melissa, Hanna, and Hanna's mother. Augh, I just wanted to smack them all.

3. Yes, I do think real girls their age act that way. I've seen it. Now, a group of friends all having those issues going on at one time... no. I like Anna's question about if you think parents act like the parents in the book. I would agree that most do except for Hanna's mother. At least I hope so!

Lynne (lmsindel) | 42 comments Those of you who have read far into the series...what keeps you reading them?

Adriana (msbibliotecaria) | 29 comments 1. Did this book make you wanna read the others?
Definitely. Kind of like a guilty pleasure, but I'm not ashamed to admit it. I loved the series.

I liked all the characters, but I think Aria was my favorite. I felt like she was the most mature of them. I liked her style and she came off as the most honest, compared to the others. Spencer was my second favorite, Hanna my third and Emily my least.

3. Discuss, do you think real girls their age, act that way?
Unfortunately yes. The drama is hyped up of course, but some girls do target each other and demean each other. It even goes before and past this age group.

Noelle (missnoellerenee) | 40 comments Lynne wrote: "Those of you who have read far into the series...what keeps you reading them?"

The suspense at the end of each and every book, "the Jenna Thing" and the overall plot

message 18: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Halligan (bookandlatte) | 13 comments Sorry, this is a random question... is this the September "event" for Pretty Little Liars? I am a little confused because I've been checking in ever so often to see if a group discussion has started or to see what the "event" was... I'm assuming these question based threads are the discussion for the month?

message 19: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Yes, Jen, the "event" was the discussion of our September pick.

message 20: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
1.The end of this book did make me want to read the next book in the series. When I first started reading this I thought eh? I am not going to read the next book and then I got to the end and thought for sure I would read the next book!

2. My favorite character is Aria... I guess it's because she seemed the most mature in the group of girls.

3. Realistic? Well I suppose some of these things do happen. One of the important ones of the book was the sexual orientation part. Just recently in the news this has become quite important. For example that student who killed himself because his friends filmed and put on the internet a sexual encounter with another man. We have to remember that it is a sensitive subject and that it REALLY matters in people's lives. Not sure where the books are going with this topic since the first book doesn't go too far but I hope it is to help young adults dealing with this issue. We need more compassion in the world.

message 21: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Anna wrote: "1. I really liked the first one as it reminded me so much of the suburbs of most larger cities. I found the books got a little tedious, however, I might go back--I got up to Unbelievable.
2. I rea..."

I always wonder when I read books if rich kids parents act like this? I wouldn't know.

message 22: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina (parisgirl13) | 3 comments LunaBeth wrote: "1. Did this book make you wanna read the others?

3. Discuss, do you think real girls their age, act that way?"

I liked Aria the best. She is going through a tough time, and no one is helping her.