Edgy Christian Fiction Lovers discussion

What are you reading now that is edgy?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Michelle (Michelle_Sutton) | 55 comments Mod
I'm reading a bunch of stuff with angst. I love historicals with drama and am getting my fix this week.

message 2: by Robin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Robin Caldwell (robincaldwell) | 1 comments What does edgy mean to you? That's my current dilemma. What is edgy and what is carnal? How do we decide?

message 3: by Rhonda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Rhonda McKnight (RhondaMcKnight) | 3 comments Hi Robin,

I love Michelle's tag line "edgy Christian fiction". Edgy is not really edgy, it's just edgy because traditional Christian fiction has been so conservative and so unrealistic. I think things are changing. Alot more publishers are putting books out there that some of us really want to read. There are people who like reading unrealistic books, and that's fine for them, it's just not fine for me.

I also think the message determines whether or not it is edgy or carnal. When I read Christian ficiton I want it to be realistic, real characters, real issues, real solutions. I think it can become carnal when the main character's flesh rules their actions, they don't check anything against the Holy Spirit, there are overt and graphic sex scences that aren't necessary for the story. That's when it becomes carnal for me.

message 4: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Robin,
I agree with Rhonda, however, I also think that even sex scenes-if they show the pain and heartache of the character being outside the bounds of God's will-is acceptable for Christian fiction. Edgy simply means taboo subjects, hard stuff, people who sin, yet there is always a beauty to the redemption in the story. There is something that blesses you or makes you feel one step closer to God. That is something that fluffy fiction doesn't do. Edgy fiction shows the consequences of sin and draws the reader to a closer understanding of God's love and grace. So if it's carnal it's not the same. Carnal is something that doesn't contribute to the story and doesn't glorify God. That's my two cents. :)

message 5: by Tyora (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Tyora Moody (tyoramoody) | 1 comments Well, I have a couple that might fit.

I'm currently reading "The Dead Whisper On", the second novel by T.L. Hines. I was blown away by the first one and he definitely stepped it up with this one. So far the faith element is really subtle and it's definitely a little weird, but I'm hooked.

Some other books on my never-ending list include:

"Fearless" by Robin Parrish
"My Soul Cries Out" by Sherri Lewis
"The Ex-Files" by Victoria Christopher Murray
"Coral Moon" by Brandilyn Collins
"Doesn't She Look Natural" by Angela Hunt

Woah! Now that's variety! :)

message 6: by Rhonda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Rhonda McKnight (RhondaMcKnight) | 3 comments I just finished In Firm Pursuit by Pamela Samuels Young last night. I really liked the way she used 1st person pov for main character and then 3rd for all the others. I'd like to do that for my supsense novel.

I'll be reading part of Michelle's manuscript this weekend. Sure to be Edgy.

Other than that I'm reading The Elevator by Angela Hunt.

Others waiting on my nightstand are:

Deadlock by James Scott Bell
Reedming Love by Jacquelin Thomas
Resurrection by Craig Parschall
Blessed Trinity by Vanessa Davis Craig
Sushi for One by Camy Tang
I also have a few young adult Kimani Tru's I'd like to get through. :o)
I'm curious about that market.

message 7: by Wanda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Wanda | 2 comments I love Christian Fiction, edgy and realistic! I read a variety of it. Lately I've read "Courting Trouble" by Deenanne Gist
"Without A Trace" by Colleen coble
"Comes a Horseman" by Robert Liparulo
"Coral Moon" by Brandilyn Collins, she is one of my favorites! I've read just about all her books.
"Wrapped in Rain" by Charles Martin, he is another favorite!

message 8: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

I want to read Wrapped in Rain so bad but it's so far down my stack. I loved Courting Trouble. DeeAnne Gist is so cool. I met her in Dallas.

message 9: by Wanda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Wanda | 2 comments Wrapped in Rain has been my favorite book this year! You will not be disappointed! Deeanne Gist is from Houston, not far from me, so I'm hoping to catch one of her book signings.

I just finished No Legal Ground by James Scott Bell and loved it! That was the first of his books for me, and I will read the rest!

message 10: by Rhonda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Rhonda McKnight (RhondaMcKnight) | 3 comments Bell is a master. I'm reading "Deadlock". Presumed Guilty was very good.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

I'm new to the group and am curious to read some of the recommendations (I may do this before I say what I'm reading - just to find out what everyone's idea of edgy is!) I have been delighted to read some of the new Christian fiction that is available. I'd almost given up reading any Christian fiction because it was so badly written and insulting to real people. I read a couple of books by Siri Mitchell and think she's doing a great job in this genre. Loved "Kissing Adrien" and "The Chateau of Echoes". I didn't like "The Cubicle Next Door" as much but it was fun that it takes place in my home town.

message 12: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Siri is one of my favorites. For me edgy is sometimes pushing the envelope. Sometimes it's dealing with taboo subjects in Christian fiction. I loved Kissing Adrien because Siri wrote her thoughts in such a realistic manner. Often times people try to fluff up things in Christian fiction and sanitize it too much. I always say I've never known a man to see a gorgeous woman and think, "Gee, she looks like she has a great personality. I think I'll go say hi." No, what he thinks is... "Man, she's hot. I wonder if she's taken. Maybe I check her out." LOL! Right now I'm reading a book (not published yet) about a cult that twists scriptures to fit the pervert cult leader's warped POV. In this book subjects like suicide, incest and abuse are delved into. That makes it edgy to me. Clear as mud?

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (Octavia) | 3 comments I've been reading Melanie Wells ("When the Day of Evil Comes" & "The Soul Hunter"). "My Soul To Keep" is due out soon. I enjoy the speculative fiction of spiritual warfare, such as Melanie Wells. I enjoyed Frank Peretti's "This Present Darkness" & "Piercing the Darkness" too. I'm so glad I found this website - I'm looking forward to checking out some of the books mentioned in this posting!

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Tell me what you like about Melanie's books.

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (Octavia) | 3 comments I like Melanie's books because she is matter-of-fact & low-key, much like I am. Not a lot of drama or emotional expressions. It is refreshing to me to have a character who isn't necessarily centered around dating or relationships. Her character acknowledges the Satanic spiritual realm without endowing it with undue power - after all, God is in control. I have no doubt we are usually quite ignorant of spiritual activities. In my opinion, even apathy and depression owe a lot to spiritual struggles. The psychology behind some of the story line is fascinating to me too. Lastly, she has a quirky sense of humer & turn-of-phrase that I enjoy.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Sheesh. Kind of makes me want to read the book now. Thanks!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm currently in the middle of 'Piercing the Darkness' by Frank Peretti. His book are amazing!

message 18: by Amalthea (new)

Amalthea | 1 comments I'm not sure if it would totally be considered edgy, but I read and loved "To dance in the desert" by Kathleen Popa. It is so magically written. It shows one unique individual's intimate relationship with God. I recommend it.

message 19: by Michelle (new)

It is kind of edgy. I started To Dance In the Desert. I need to finish it. It was a good story and I read about half of it.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

What year was that published? I'll have to get a copy. :) Thanks for the tip.

message 21: by Keiki (new)

Keiki Hendrix | 2 comments I just started "Lord Foulgrin's Letters" by Randy Alcorn. I am new to this group so I am not sure if you would consider Alcorn edgy. I do love Dekker and Peretti.

This book is very similar to CS Lewis' "Screwtape Letters" and is even referenced.

message 22: by Michelle (new)

What's the pub date for Lord Foulgrin's Letters? It sounds familiar.

message 23: by Keiki (last edited Dec 15, 2008 11:38AM) (new)

Keiki Hendrix | 2 comments Lord Foulgrin's Letters was published 02-16-01. I downloaded from audible. It is a great read/listen. Especially with the inflections the narrator gives it. I My favorite quote from the book so far is:
"...Don't forget that the most effective form of child abuse is giving the child everything he wants..." Lord Foulgrin -

Lord Foulgrin is, of course, an evil spirit who is giving direction to one of his subordinates. I had never really thought that parents who overindulge their children are actually abusing them.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Chloe wrote: "Lord Foulgrin's Letters was published 02-16-01. I downloaded from audible. It is a great read/listen. Especially with the inflections the narrator gives it. I will probably finish it today. My f..."

sounds interesting

message 25: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) I just finished reading "Only Uni" by Camy Tang, now I'm starting "Adam" by Ted Dekker :)

message 26: by Michelle (new)

I enjoyed both of them. Probably loved Adam the best!

message 27: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) Without a Trace by Colleen Coble is excellent mystery book. She writes a good way of mysteries books

message 28: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) Michelle wrote: "I enjoyed both of them. Probably loved Adam the best!"

I just finished reading Adam...and man, what a book. Creepy in all the "right" places yet thought provoking all at the same time. Just something I'd really expect from Dekker :)

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Yes, Dekker is a master at crafting thought provoking stuff.

message 30: by Becky (new)

Becky (Octavia) | 3 comments I just finished a book I would consider somewhat edgy- "Romance Rustlers & Thunderbird Thieves: a Ruby Taylor Mystery", by Sharon Dunn. I wasn't sure what to expect with such a distinctive title, but I was pleasantly surprised. A woman dealing with a difficult past, rather bitter, and an uncomfortable relationship with her Christian mother. An intriguing mystery, a touch of near-romance, and a crisis of the soul. I particularly enjoyed the pithy "thought clouds" the main character would have :)

message 31: by Michelle (new)

I read one of the books in this series and loved it! I know what you mean.

Becky wrote: "I just finished a book I would consider somewhat edgy- "Romance Rustlers & Thunderbird Thieves: a Ruby Taylor Mystery", by Sharon Dunn. I wasn't sure what to expect with such a distinctive title, ..."

message 32: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) I just finished the second book to the "Fourth Realm" series by John Twelve Hawks. The book is The Dark River. I am finding this series interesting because it is challenging me to think about where I stand in the Good Vs. Evil war here on earth and what might Hell be like?

message 33: by Julia (new)

Julia Bellrock | 2 comments Did anyone hear today about the little 10 year old boy from Atlanta who was abducted and end up getting let go by his kidnapper when he sung the gospel song, "Every Praise"?

Turns out his kidnapper got tired of him singing the same song for 3 hours non-stop as the kidnapper drove him around. He end up putting the boy out on the side of the road. The kidnapper had told the boy to shut up and that he didn't want to hear a word out of him, so the boy sang instead for 3 hours non-stop.

Talk about "out of the mouth of babes". Praise God for watching over this child (They said he didn't get hurt) And thank God for parents who are raising their children to love Jesus.

message 34: by Luann (new)

Luann List | 4 comments If you are interested in a bit more edgy than most but not distasteful , please try mine?
and Julia: yes! :D I did hear about that little boy! I believe in the power of praise!How amazing our God is!! My Safe Harbour