Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2010-09 PALIMPSEST: finished reading *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Here's a topic for people who are finished with Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente.

Careful - may contain spoilers!

message 2: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Read this one last year and loved it. Here's the link to my review:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 3: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2123 comments Mod
I read it in May and loved it as well. Absolutely gorgeous. I tend not to remember details of books unless I've JUST finished, so I will have to take it out and skim it to refresh my memory and come back with specifics, but what I do remember is being enthralled with the setting of Palimpsest. It's eerie and otherworldly and right from the start you see that it's also a bit dangerous.

I also remember that I wished it hadn't taken so long for the plot to get moving. I enjoyed the characters, but it took a while to see how their threads connected to one another.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) Stefan wrote: "Read this one last year and loved it. Here's the link to my review:"

Stefan- I completely agree with your review. I was happy to read the book during my lunch hour at home because it was impossible not to read the prose out loud.

Here is my review, although there aren't any spoilers.

I love the idea of this intimacy with strangers, that erotic danger, that the people couldn't even resist. The world was so vivid and appealing. I mean, if you are going to be marked for it without your permission or knowledge, you might as well give over to it, right? :)

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I quietly loved this book. It snuck up on me, if you know what I mean.

message 6: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I read this book several months ago, and it lodged itself firmly on my Favorites shelf. Hyper-evocative language, poignant metaphor, believable characters tossed unwitting into increasingly-surreal circumstances...I adored it through and through.

I have yet to review it, but will update here when I do so.

message 7: by Nick (last edited Sep 07, 2010 12:38PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Chris wrote: "I quietly loved this book. It snuck up on me, if you know what I mean."

I know what you mean. It does sneak up on you. That's what makes the characters full and complete -- they are more than simple characatures, they reach the point where their obsessions define them, causing them a simultaneous joy and pain. Their actions become very complex as they search for truths hidden behind clouds of mist and masks (frog shops and beekeepers and mysterious trains to an equally mysterious shore). The four characters' quest for each other in "this" world so they can make a conclusive entry into Palimpsest is as complex and obsessive as their actions within the fantasy-city. I enjoyed being with them as they delved further and further into surreality.

message 8: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments As I said in another thread, I admired the heck out of this book but didn't love it. The tone was a little too distant for me, the people not the sorts I could connect to emotionally (I groaned every time Ludovico's thread came around), and somehow the whole thing just wasn't as immersive an experience as my previous Valente novels (the two volumes of The Orphan's Tales). Haven't finished my review yet, but when I do I'll update here.

message 9: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments My full review is up here: http://community.livejournal.com/fant...

message 10: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Finished and adored this book. Will be buying two copies (one for myself and one for my friend).

Both Stefan's and Phoenixfalls' reviews were quite well written. Thank you for posting links.

I do have some comments, mostly in regards to how Palimpsest (as a place) came to be, but will have to come back to that. I do not have the copy of the book with me at the moment.