Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2010-09 PALIMPSEST: first impressions and roll call *no spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Please let us know if you're planning to read/still reading/have read Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente, and any first impressions.

No spoilers in this topic please!

message 2: by Duane (new)

Duane Poncy (duane_poncy) | 7 comments I actually read this July. While it was a fun read, I wasn't overly impressed. I am interested in what others think and look forward to participating in the discussion.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Not for me.

message 4: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments I just finished it yesterday but haven't synthesized my thoughts on it yet. Will be discussing it though!

message 5: by Nick (last edited Sep 01, 2010 12:33PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments I loved this book. I thought the wordplay was poetic, the settings exotic and surreal, the characters believable, if delusional, and it was topical to contemporary social issues, specifically the two-edged sword of contemporary sexual issues -- obsessive desire as relief from world-weariness and the dangers of sexually transmitted disease. The city Palimpsest is a marvelous symbol for all that and more.

message 6: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I think this one does sound interesting - I have ever since it came out - but there just isn't room for it in my reading at this point. Maybe one day...

message 7: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I have started it but just read through the first two chapters. Not sure yet. As is often the case, for me with just a few chapters, I am confused.

message 8: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2241 comments Mod
I read it a few months ago and really liked it. Marty, the beginning IS confusing. It comes together eventually.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) I read this in July as well, and loved it. The intimacy of the writing, the unique descriptive language, really pulled me in. If you are familiar with both Neil Gaiman and Jeanette Winterson, combine them in your head. To me, that is what Valente in this book is.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy Pilkington I read it last month, and had mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I thought the prose was worth the read on its own, but on the other, I found the characters flat and the plot nearly non-existent.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I was curious and broke down and bought it. Haven't started it yet.

message 12: by Staci (new)

Staci | 47 comments I'm listening to the audio version. Not far in yet and so far it's not really grabbing me, but I'll keep going.

message 13: by Staci (new)

Staci | 47 comments Well, I decided to give up on this one. I made it over half way through & I just am not enjoying this. I know everyone has been praising the writing, but that's one of my main problems with this book is the writing style, I'm not really a poetry fan, so maybe that's why. I'm not really liking any of the characters or the city of Palimpsest either. I really wanted to enjoy this one, but it just didn't work for me.

message 14: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Just started it yesterday and am finding it interesting.

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I started it late last night and am totally intrigued. What a pleasant surprise after some of the clunky stuff I've read lately.

message 16: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
It's definitely a deep, rewarding read, Sandra. I completely understand why some people hate this book, but I absolutely loved it.

message 17: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I am determined to finish it but wish I had read Julian Comstock first. I am really bogged down.