Roger Zelazny discussion

Books with Other Authors > Bring Me The Head of Prince Charming

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Well, once again I tried reading Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming(Millennial Contest, #1)by Roger Zelazny & Robert Sheckley. No go. I like both authors separately & might like them together, but the book is supposed to be humorous & I just don't find it funny. I managed maybe 100 pages & just put it down from sheer lack of will to pick it back up.

There are two other books in the Millennial Contest, but I don't think I'll bother.

message 2: by Alazzar (new)

Alazzar | 59 comments I actually really liked Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming, but I didn't look at it as a book that was supposed to make me laugh out loud. It's not humorous in that way--you're right. It's humorous in the, "This is a silly concept and shouldn't be taken too seriously" sort of way.

It's definitely not one of Zelazny's best works as far as the story construction goes, but I had fun with it. =P

You know, I'm always curious about books written by 2 authors, and maybe someone could answer this for me: do we know if Zelazny and Sheckley wrote this together? Or did one of them start it and the other finish? Or maybe they did all the brainstorming together, but only one of them did the actual writing. And then maybe the other gave it a look-through and made suggestions for changes.

I know with Lord Demon and Donnerjack, Zelazny had started the books and then Lindskold had finished them after his death. But I'm wondering how a book like this works, where both authors were alive when it was written. Anyone know how this all went down?

message 3: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Hopefully Chris can tell us. If it's been written about in his collected works, I don't recall.

message 4: by Mir (new)

Mir | 21 comments It wasn't a favorite of either of theirs for me, either. I think Zelazny does much better with less obvious forms of humor.