Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Fugitive Prince (Wars of Light & Shadow, #4)
This topic is about Fugitive Prince
Wars of Light and Shadow > Fugitive Prince - official discussion opening

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Welcome to the discussion for Fugitive Prince, first book in the third arc -- Alliance of Light -- of the Wars of Light and Shadows Series.

If you are just starting in with this series, be warned, this is NOT BOOK ONE. The series begins with Curse of the Mistwraith, and it is best to begin there.

Why, then, have the series divided into arcs?
Isn't this needlessly confusing?

Not really - here is why.

Each Arc of this long work encompasses one 'phase' of the story - yes, the series will always focus on the main central characters, and while a few secondary ones come into serious play, there will NOT be gajillions of points of view. Each arc, rather, carries a start and finish - and while each book carries the 'one/two' plot punch you've come to expect, the ARC itself is considered one story - it will open, build, reach the "one punch" tipping point, and converge intensely into the finale. So the overall contour will follow suit. There are no cliffhangers - each volume reaches a 'pause point.'

But the story (all 5 vols of Arc III) are one tight sweep.

NOTE PLEASE: you have just come off a hot convergency from Warhost - DO NOT expect the pace to stay the same pitch. Fugitive Prince is an arc start - so it will 'gear back' and lay groundwork. You may not think all the details matter - that would be a misconception. This book - often - is sort of the bastard step child, because readers will NOT see where it is going, yet. YES there will be action and pacing, but expect some shifts in flow. There is a purpose to it - ALL those details matter and will play big and bigger.

This arc takes the conflict to world view - expect some TREMENDOUS unveilings in understanding all the various factions, and expect layers to peel off like crazy - you will soon find you are NOT looking at a mideval society, not a bit.

The pace of each volume will pick up and pick up and pick up - Peril's Gate is the 'tipping point', Traitor's Knot starts the strong convergency and Stormed Fortress is ALL denouement.

I say this not because you need a 'steer' but because the fourth book in many Other series starts a sprawl factor, or a dissipation of the story line. This is NOT the case here - it's an arc start - so don't be caught by the fact you came off a hot climactic scene in Warhost and hit this, unprepared.

It will all pay off - so nail on your socks.

Old readers feel free to give your NON spoiling impressions, new readers - ask as many questions as you need to.

I will be at DragonCon for the next bit, and will check in as I can - if I miss a few days, I'll be back after the convention. I will trust the older readers will fill in a bit for me till I get back online.

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments This may seem a little off topic at first, but bear with me, I do have a point.

I went to a book signing for Brandon Sanderson's new book, Way of Kings yesterday. Being there and experiencing everything there got me excited about his book. My brother asked me when I would actually read it, and my answer to him was, when I finish Janny's series, what's published so far anyway. I'm almost done with Traitor's Knot. I just know I won't be able to stop until after I've read Stormed Fortress. Then I think I might be able to read some of those other books that have been piling up while I've been reading this series.

I just wanted to agree with Janny that things really start to heat up in this arc. Fugitive Prince starts to build up the story building up the intrigue and the excitement of this arc. I haven't quite finished this arc yet, but I'm expecting quite the wild ride for the denoument and end of the arc.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I did not appreciate this book until my second time through it. The previous three were so tightly plotted with so much suspense and I was expecting more of the same. I found it hard, first time, to think about where the seemingly meandering plot was going to end up. And yet, second time though, having read all the way to Stormed Fortress, it made much more sense to me and I was surprised at how much of true importance actually happens in this book. I think you can see from the number of discussion threads that there is a lot going on here.

Amelia, when I finished Stormed Fortress I had spent such a long time in this world that I felt a little at loose ends and bereft. I couldn't think what to read next and it took me a while to settle on something.

I too have The Way of Kings, but it is so huge that I have delayed starting it until after I get some previously scheduled books under way. AND, I am doing a little light reading over the holiday weekend.

message 4: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Quick check in from DragonCon - having a great time!

For those who are reading, I'll spin by as I can, if there are questions.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I went to the B&N store yesterday to buy books for my granddaughter for her birthday and was very excited to see your books displayed in the fantasy and science fiction section. They started with this book, however! I just shot off an email to B&N telling them about this error and saying that I'd seen a post by another member here that said the same thing.

So I imagine that's why some people think this is the first book in the series. Yeeps.

Jeff Watson | 46 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "I went to the B&N store yesterday to buy books for my granddaughter for her birthday and was very excited to see your books displayed in the fantasy and science fiction section. They started with ..."
It might have been valuable to say something to the manager of the store that you visited.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Jeff wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "I went to the B&N store yesterday to buy books for my granddaughter for her birthday and was very excited to see your books displayed in the fantasy and science fiction sect..."

Yes, I'm sure. I go there fairly often as it's in the same town as my office, so I will.

message 8: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Jeff wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "I went to the B&N store yesterday to buy books for my granddaughter for her birthday and was very excited to see your books displayed in the fantasy and science..."

That's a huge help - thank you. Hopefully you will be told the reason the first three were not on the shelf was low stock, the books are on reorder - ;)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments That's good to hear - that they are low in stock! Means people are buying them.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I did get an answer to my email. Here it is:

Dear Sandra Jacob,

Thank you for your email.

We forwarded your feedback regarding the display of The Wars of Light and Shadow series with our buyers who will certainly keep them in mind when evaluating the placement of this title in our stores.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you in our bookstores soon.

Sincerely,

Harry

Customer Service Representative
Barnes & Noble Customer Service

message 11: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Sandra - thanks for writing - next time you are in there, I'd love to know if the earlier titles are on the shelf again.

I am assuming everyone else had no difficulty getting the title?