Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Movies of the Month > Baz Luhrmann Redux:Moulin Rouge

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (httpgoodreadscomelaine_chaika) | 241 comments Again, I was inspired to watch this again by Pam Cooke's book on Bazmark films.

This the Hollywood/Bollywood musical extravaganza is completely over the top. It is a visually noisy, loud, and bright celebration of movement. Luhrmmann furthers the motion-full screen with a version of swish-pans that blur the dancers' movements.

Cooke calls Bazmark's style "heightened reality," perhaps if LSD creates your reality. It is really heightened fantasia. Nowhere are blues so blue, reds so red, greens, purples, yellows so themselves. Even a Kindergartener's first exploration into primary colors is subdued to colorless in contrast with this. Every cinema buff has to see this for the cinematography, costumes, and in incredible sets.

Luhrmann clearly spent a fortune on this movie, so why didn't he get a good scriptwriter? The opening scenes and the scenee in which Christian meets Satine are so corny, trite, and boring the only thing that kept me sitting there was examining the walls and statuary of The Red Room.

The story itself is plain farce, and not very good farce at that. The final scene, even though we know it's inevitable, of Satine's demise, feels totally out of place in this movie, as is the theme that Love is All, especially since the lovers feel no compunction about cheating and duping their benefactor for personal fame and material gain. "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments The lack of chemistry just killed it for me. And, yes, the story was nothing special. I've never had any great desire to see it again.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments Visually - it was fantastic - on chemistry, plot and singing - dull

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) The cinematography was good, and the vivid bright colors, but nothing could brighten up their performance.