Book lovers discussion

Specific Books > The Millennium Series

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
So these are like the most popular books ever but i am a bit slow to jump on the bandwagon. I'm reading the second book The Girl Who Played with Fire now as i loved the first one. Do we have any fans? Which book would you say was the best?

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) The 2nd so far!!!

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Have you just read the first 2?

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) Yes!!! What do you think of the movie cast so far?

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Which one? I haven't seen the cast for the American movie except for Daniel Craig. I wasn't too sure about him as he isn't anything like the guy i imagined. I did like the casting for the swedish version though. Especially Lisbeth. I didn't like Berger. She seemed to old and haggered compared to my imagination.

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) I agree about Daniel Craig. Yes, I'm talking about American cast...forgot you were not here!!!
The 'Lisbeth' is totally unknown and blew away all the others who thought they had it sewn up! Hah!!!
I think that she might be terrific...

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) Like you Jo, I'm a little late in getting to this series also. I just started reading the second book and I am hooked on this series. Seriously one of the most intriguing series I've read in a while. I just watched the Swedish version of the film and I thought it was great, but it leaves out so much of the story that I found myself explaining a lot of the plot to my husband since he didn't read the book and he wasn't following what was going on very well. I agree about the casting of Berger - she looked a lot older than I had pictured, and I was disappointed that the movie didn't include the ongoing affair between her and Blomkvist. I definitely plan on seeing the American version of this movie. Do you guys know if they will be making a movie based on the second and third books?

message 8: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) I hope so...haven't read anything, yet.

message 9: by Shelli (new)

Shelli I loved them all....but in order of favorite I'd probably go...3-2-1.....they just kept getting better and better!!!

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) Sadly, that will be all. He died, at age 50, before they were ever published. That is a real tragedy...what a talent...and we are reading the translations!!! What were the originals like???

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I thought that about the movie. I would have at least liked to see the Berger affair in there but it was such a big book that they were never going to fit it all in. I look forward to youe thoughts on the second book, Sarah! I am only about 100 pages into it.

message 12: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 39 comments Well, there might be another, but it would not be completly written by him as there is part of a manuscript on a laptop his long time girlfriend has.

The main issue is the legal wrangle that is going on. Larson never married his girlfriend for fear that she might be the target of extremists. Under sweddish law, though she was with him for I think 13 years, she has no legal rights to his estate. All that went to his half brother and his father. His girlfriend is refusing to hand over the laptop until she gets her fair share of the rights.

So there is a big mess just now. There was an article in the Entertainment Weekly about a month ago about it.

As for the books, I'm about half way through and I loved the first Swedish film. Not too sure about the remake

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I don't think we will be seeing the fourth book anytime soon. I think it will get done one way or another. It will most likely be them giving into her and paying her off as they can make a huge amount of money with the fourth book.

message 14: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 44 comments I'd really like there to be a fourth book - looks like there could be quite a wait though.

I enjoyed all three books, but if I had to choose it would be TGWPWF - although TGWKTHN is really good although not as much 'action'!

I reckon Daniel Craig is just WRONG. The Swedish cast were perfect in my opinion - (Berger as I imagined) - and you know I quite liked subtitles.
I'll probably see the Hollywood version - but I really don't see the need to remake them - for people too lazy to read subtitles!!

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I just can't imagine the series without the actress that plays Lisbeth in the swedish movie. I thought she was perfect.

message 16: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 44 comments Totally agree - she was perfect!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) I rented the DVD last weekend and they had an English dub track so that you don't have to read subtitles. It was kind of weird watching it like that because the actor's mouths didn't match the words, but my hubby is a super slow reader and we would've had to pause the movie every two seconds.

message 18: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Mine had dubbed too. I watched a few minutes of it out of curiosity but then i stopped it and went with the subtitles. It was nice to have the choice though. Being in england, it was weird to hear a swedish film being dubbed with american accents.

message 19: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 44 comments I was only joking about the 'lazy' bit - I know some people just can't be doing with subtitles - I prefer them though to dubbing.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) No offense taken. I prefer subtitles too, but my husband is a slow reader and often has to read things more than once before he comprehends what he's read. I can only imagine how frustrating that must be.

message 21: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) Gem H aka *Dhelirious* wrote: "Well, there might be another, but it would not be completly written by him as there is part of a manuscript on a laptop his long time girlfriend has.

The main issue is the legal wrangle that is ..."

This is really interesting news...what a horrible mess. Sometimes marriage is a good thing.

message 22: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments I watched the DVD Sunday it wasn't dubbed just subtitled. I really think it came across as a strong visual film. I hope to rent TGWPWF this weekend and only have 53 pages left of TGWKTHN!!! It is outrageous and so difficult to close before bed. I think I have gone to bed at 11pm every night this week so I'm getting a bit cranky in the mornings.

message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I really like the movie of TGWPWF, Karla. I am hoping the have the third book done in time to see the third movie which i think is out here at the end of the month.

message 24: by Yassemin (new)

Yassemin (yas666) | 59 comments Its good also :P. Mate managed to get hold of it.

message 25: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments I bet the third film won't be here for a while definitely not in my local theaters only on DVD in 6 months I suppose.....bummer!

message 26: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Jessica said the third film is out where she is now. I googled it for the uk and got 25th November but i'm not sure how acurate that is. Does anyone know when the american remake is set to come out? I'm not sure whether to watch it or not.

message 27: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Karla wrote: "I watched the DVD Sunday it wasn't dubbed just subtitled. I really think it came across as a strong visual film. I hope to rent TGWPWF this weekend and only have 53 pages left of TGWKTHN!!! It is..."

Karla....I can't believe you go to bed before 11!!!

message 28: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments I try I'm a girl who needs her beauty sleep, really needs it! Usually 10:30 is bedtime for me. Last night was about 12 time change messed me up a bit. I also get up at 5am every morning for daycare.

message 29: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Oh....the 5am thing is not good....I'm never in bed before 11:30-12...but I don't get up now until 7...a couple years and I'll be back to 6.

message 30: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) I have read the first 2 but have yet to read the last one

it is getting better and I have yet to read third only as trying to read through books that have been on my tbr longer first

message 31: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments Oh its so good its a read it before you die type of series Afsana! They get better and better with each book so that is saying a lot for series reads.

message 32: by Jo (last edited Nov 17, 2010 07:35AM) (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I have to say that i enjoyed the third book much more than the second. I can't decide if it was my favourite over the first or not. Tough call!

message 33: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments Its a toss up for me on my favorite book Jo I liked Fire so much it was so intense the end was a hot thrill ride to the last page. Hornets nest was several stories taking part in one and really seeing how this mess was gonna get figured out.

message 34: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I did enjoy Fire but some parts dragged a bit for me and i found that i could put it down without the urge to pick it up again. The end was intense and i loved it though! My issue with all of the books is wanting more Salander time!!

message 35: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Karla wrote: "Its a toss up for me on my favorite book Jo I liked Fire so much it was so intense the end was a hot thrill ride to the last page. Hornets nest was several stories taking part in one and really see..."

Karla...I loved Fire too...maybe my fav...toss up between 2 and 3....I got my hardcover of TGWTDTattoo in the mail today!!!!

message 36: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments Oh that's luck I have the first 2 in paperback I should copy you Shelli.

message 37: by Steven (new)

Steven Belanger | 8 comments I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to reading the Millenium series. Very high on my list of things to do.

Steven Belanger
www.stevenbelanger.com
www.stevenebelanger.blogspot.com

message 38: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Steven wrote: "I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to reading the Millenium series. Very high on my list of things to do.

Steven Belanger
www.stevenbelanger.com
www.stevenebelanger.blogspot.com"

Steven....it's a great series...start soon!!!

message 39: by Steven (new)

Steven Belanger | 8 comments You got it, Shelli. After the next book for my grad. class, which meets tomorrow and I don't even know what to read...Wait. What if my professor's in this group?

After the craziness of Thursday, hopefully...