The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > How do from Sheffield, England

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (last edited Sep 01, 2010 02:47AM) (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 232 comments hey everyone

i'm paul, an omnivorous reader. i find myself getting more and more into crime fiction - i've loved Conan Doyle, Hammett, Chandler and Elmore Leonard for years, but have recently got into some more recent authors such as Dennis Lehane and George Pelecanos.

I also have a bit of a thing for crime/SF crossovers - Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon and Jon Courtenay Grimwood's Arabesk trilogy and 9 Tail Fox for instance.

Looking forward to finding some new stuff and sharing my own discoveries.

message 2: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi Paul. Thanks for joining us and I am sure you will find far too much to read.

message 3: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Paul! Discovering new authors or at least new to me seems to happen every day. I'm sure you will find some new great reads too.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Hi Paul and welcome!! Isn't Sheffield where Def Leppard comes from?? Sorry, they were my favrotie band from the 80's!! Happy Reading!!

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Hi, Paul! Welcome!! I'm reading Chandler now. Love all types fo mysteries & suspense. I've learned about so many new choices for reading that I think I need to retire just to read!!

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 232 comments Thanks all! "too much to read"? nope, i read that sentence several times and i still can't make sense of it!

Susan - it certainly is the city of Leppard, along with the Human League, Arctic Monkeys, Pulp and Richard Hawley.

message 7: by Voula (new)

Voula | 14 comments As much as I read I can't believe I haven't been on this site before. But now I am and I'm so glad I found it. Obviously, since I'm in this group, mysteries, thrillers, suspense, police procedurals, etc. make up just about everything I read. Some absolute favorites of mine include Tana French, James W. Hall, Robert Crais, Lee Child, John Hart, Charlie Huston, Peter Robinson, Carol O'Connell, Cody McFadyen, Karin Slaughter, Elizabeth George, Dennis Lehane, Joe Hill, James Swain, Robert Ellis, Gillian Flynn, Stephen White, Gregg Hurwitz, Stuart MacBride, Lisa Unger, Denise Mina, Ruth Rendell and many, many more. Right now I'm in the middle of Book of Shadows by Alexandra Sokoloff. This is the first book I've read by her and definitely won't be my last. I'm absolutely loving this book. Super high creepy factor - the creepier the better! Anyway, so glad to be here and can't wait to find some NEW favorite authors.

message 8: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Hi Vtd. Welcome to the group. I see many of my favorite authors in your list plus a few I will have to check out.

message 9: by Voula (new)

Voula | 14 comments Thank you, Donna. Of course I should have read the guidelines before I posted my first comment; I now know that I should have provided a link with the author names. Oh well. Hope you can find an author you'll like in my list.

message 10: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Not to worry Vtd! Glad you joined us!

message 11: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1347 comments Welcome, Paul. Hope you find some good reads here.