Horror Aficionados discussion

Short Stories > What Is Your Favorite Classic Horror Short Story?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stan (new)

Stan Swanson (stans_swanson) | 6 comments What is your favorite "classic" horror short story of all time? We're not talking Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Peter Straub or Graham Masterson here. We're talking classic stuff from the 1800's and early 1900's. A list of your favorites will be published in a future issue of Dark Moon Digest. You can either post here or send an e-mail to darkmoondigest@gmail.com.

message 2: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 244 comments "Pigeons from Hell" by Robert Howard. It is one creepy piece of writing.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments "Pickman's Model" by Lovecraft

message 4: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments The Tell-Tale Heart by EAP.

message 5: by Jason (last edited Sep 01, 2010 03:18AM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Either The Call of Cthulhu or The Tomb by H.P. Lovecraft

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil (philhappy) | 148 comments It's hard to pick just one favourite, I could pick nearly any story from writers like Lovecraft or M R James. But I'll go for a story I read earlier this year that has still stuck with me.

'A Bottle Of Perrier' by Edith Wharton

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Casting of the Runes M.R. James

message 8: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 65 comments WOW, that is hard!! I could pick nearly any Lovecraft or Howard story here... A top 5 would've been easier!

It's probably either 'The Dreams in the Witch House' by Lovecraft or 'The Familiar' by J Sheridan LeFanu.

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 17 comments Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 215 comments Very difficult to answer. Probably "Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad" by MR James. That is one spooky story!

message 11: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 83 comments The Shadow Over Innsmouth, by H.P. Lovecraft with horrifying hints of interbreeding and sacrifices of children.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) The Yellow Wallpaper can 't remember the authors name though i know it was a lady.

I also second Pickman's Model by Lovecraft

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 215 comments Amanda, The Yellow Wallpaper was written by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I love "The Yellow Wallpaper." I think most women do. :-/

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Tressa wrote: "I love "The Yellow Wallpaper." I think most women do. :-/"

It's the fact you can identify with her slow decline in relation to everyday life. Its a subtle story but that makes it all the more chilling when you reach the end.

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Amanda, The Yellow Wallpaper was written by Charlotte Perkins Gilman."

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The theme of "The Yellow Wallpaper" has a little something in common with the movie Antichrist. Both husbands thought they could heal their wives, but they couldn't.

message 19: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmckeejr) | 133 comments The Yellow Wallpaper is fantastic.

For fav, though, I like Young Goodman Brown.

message 20: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) I was going to mention "The Yellow Wallpaper", but folks beat me to it.

message 21: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 531 comments overall i'd say pick any Robert Aickman and that's my favorite short story.

but the story i've re-read the most times is At the Mountains of Madness. well i suppose that's more of a novella.

message 22: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I downloaded a free Kindle edition of The Yellow Wallpaper. You can download the Kindle app for your computer to read it if you don't have a Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Yellow-Wall...

message 23: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 83 comments I remember Stephen King claimed that the stains that rings the interior walls near the floor was from the woman crawling on the floor, and leaning against the walls and drooling on them all the way around in her final descent to insanity. That really creeps me out big time.

message 24: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You're giving me the chills, Patrick.

message 25: by Terence (new)

Terence Great list going. Some to add are "The Monkey's Paw" by W. W. Jacobs, "The Bottle Imp" by Robert Louis Stevenson, Lovecraft's "The Statement of Randolph Carter," "The Damned Thing" by Ambrose Bierce, Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," and maybe Machen's "The Great God Pan."

message 26: by Charles (new)

Charles (tonalized) | 16 comments The Haunter of the Dark by Lovecraft.

message 27: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I keep hearing that Haunter by Lovecraft is a good one. I haven't read that one yet, but am looking forward to it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 215 comments Love your list, Terence!

message 29: by Robert (new)

Robert Dunbar Just wanted to put in a good word for Edith Wharton's ghost stories.
The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton

message 30: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh (kurtreichenbaugh) | 122 comments My favorite is Ligeia by Poe.

message 31: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Kurt wrote: "My favorite is Ligeia by Poe."

Love Legeia! Have you seen the Vincent Price film version? I like that one.

message 32: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh (kurtreichenbaugh) | 122 comments Amanda wrote: "Kurt wrote: "My favorite is Ligeia by Poe."

Love Legeia! Have you seen the Vincent Price film version? I like that one."

No, I haven't. Was it a Roger Corman production? I'll put it on the Netflix.

message 33: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Kurt wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Kurt wrote: "My favorite is Ligeia by Poe."

Love Legeia! Have you seen the Vincent Price film version? I like that one."

No, I haven't. Was it a Roger Corman production? I'll p..."

I believe it was yes :)

message 34: by J (new)

J (blkdoggy) | 135 comments I'd have to go with 'The Monkey's Paw'.

message 35: by Joel (new)

Joel (joelarnold) | 23 comments I think my favorite is still 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.' (And I'll also admit I love the animated Disney version of this, too!)

Joel Arnold

message 36: by Takipsilim (last edited Oct 20, 2010 06:23AM) (new)

Takipsilim | 6 comments I have a lot, but the story that chilled me a bit was Joseph Payne Brennan's "The Horror at Chilton Castle". Frederick Cowles' "Princess of Darkness" left a somewhat disturbing effect with it's creepy and non-happy ending. These tales stand out as Horror fiction doesn't scare me and I appreciate the genre more for it's literary quality than it's ability to frighten.

message 37: by Takipsilim (new)

Takipsilim | 6 comments Patrick wrote: "The Shadow Over Innsmouth, by H.P. Lovecraft with horrifying hints of interbreeding and sacrifices of children."

Of all Lovecraft's tales that's the one I remember the most. The scene of the main character trying to get out of a house and running in the streets with a whole town of seeming non-humans chasing him; and the situation where he finds himself hiding by the side of a road as the bizarre and abnormal inhabitants of the town pass close by, risking being caught at any moment, is suspense of a most memorable kind.

message 38: by Charles (new)

Charles (tonalized) | 16 comments Jason wrote: "I keep hearing that Haunter by Lovecraft is a good one. I haven't read that one yet, but am looking forward to it."

After you read it, check out wikipedia's article about it. The story's background is quite amusing.

message 39: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Thanks Charles. I will do that!

message 40: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments Oh, wow, there are some GREAT stories mentioned here! So hard to decide. I think I'll add "The Open Window" by Saki (H.H. Munro) -- still love that one! Is that considered horror?

And I love so many of the short stories that Stephen King has written ... but since I can't pick just one, I'll make like Emily Litella and say "Never mind."

message 41: by Philip (new)

Philip Athans (philathans) | 28 comments H.P. Lovecraft's "Pickman's Model" just scares the crap out of me every time I read it. It's as close to a perfect short story as I've ever read.

message 42: by Alex (new)

Alex  (atayler) | 7 comments Philip wrote: "H.P. Lovecraft's "Pickman's Model" just scares the crap out of me every time I read it. It's as close to a perfect short story as I've ever read."

I agree completely. It's definately one of the best.

message 43: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 531 comments algernon blackwood! yeah!

The Willows & Wendigo are justly viewed as classics. The Willows is probably my personal favorite. but i also have loved Ancient Sorceries, Glamour of the Snow, A Haunted Island, A Descent into Egypt.

A Descent into Egypt is especially mind-boggling. so much high drama, terror, a longing for the beyond, transcendence....all mainly occurring while three people are simply sitting in a room. truly amazing and original.

message 44: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments The Wendigo blew me away. I loved it. I have the Willows and am looking forward to it.

message 45: by Stan (new)

Stan Smith | 12 comments "Caterpillars" by E.F. Benson. Sneaks up on you, and is VERY creepy.

http://weirdfictionreview.com/2013/06...

message 46: by Raymond (new)

Raymond Esposito | 41 comments An Occurrence at owl creek bridge....also made a great twilight zone episode

message 47: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) Pickman's Model and Call of Cthulhu by H.P Lovecraft.

message 48: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 322 comments What is a good site to find some of these stories on-line? Project Guttenberg?

message 49: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) Well http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/... has the complete works of Lovecraft. I'm not sure about the others.

message 50: by Scott (new)

Scott | 255 comments Adrian...great link....Thank you. Never read pickman's model and a few others...fantastic.

« previous 1