Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Your scariest, skin-prickling, spine-tingling books.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevreddy) I'm always on the search for a book that will actually scare the crap out of me. That type of fear that I haven't experienced since I was a kid. With the coming fall I'm getting in that mood again. Any suggestions?

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Hmmmm, it's actually pretty hard for an author to scare jaded, cynical grownups. However, these books shivered me timbers: Naomi's Room and Prey.

message 3: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Scare as opposed to gory?

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevreddy) Tressa, that is so true..hard to scare jaded, cynical grownups. I get the same way now also when it comes to scary movies.

I'm definitely going to write down your book suggestions.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevreddy) I'll take either. Gore...suspense...

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments Graham Masterton's THE MANITOU creeped me out when I first read it, but I was ten at the time.

message 8: by Martha (last edited Sep 01, 2010 08:41AM) (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 65 comments For me, the scariest was The Damnation Game by Clive Barker.

The Damnation Game by Clive Barker

message 9: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments I would say Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevreddy) Nice!! I'm gettn a good list...so far 2 hits for The Girl Next Door.THX

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevreddy) What about the Dean Koontz thrill/scare factor? I see there is a thread on him but it's pretty drawn out. Have never read his books before so what's a good one to start with?

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I liked Phantoms for scares. Todd tells me The Taking is also a good one for this. Most Koontz novels are thrillers though.

message 13: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 531 comments Hide and Seek by Jack Ketchum

message 14: by Savanah (new)

Savanah Andrews (savanahwhit) | 14 comments Heart-Shaped Box
For some reason this book scared me so much I couldnt sleep. There was just a visual I couldnt get out of my head.

message 15: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments The Heart Shaped Box audio is coming to me sometime today or tomorrow.

message 16: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments For gore and thought, I really enjoyed Mark Mirabello's The Cannibal Within. I'm starting Let's Go Play At the Adams. I'll have to take HP Lovecrafts Ultimate collection one short story at a time. Archaic writing gets tedious after a while.

message 17: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments oh good choice, Lovecraft is fantastic.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevreddy) So many books! Love it. Do you know what I've been into lately? I've downloaded years worth of the CBS Radio Mystery Theater stories onto my Ipod. I love them, so freaky and deranged. I blame my nightmares on them. AHAH!

message 19: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments when i was a kid 2 books scared the shit out of me,The Wicked,Wicked Ladies in the Haunted House and Jane-Emily. i think they are still in print.

message 20: by Bob (new)

Bob (ilovepie) | 145 comments I am gonna recommend Summer Of Night by Dan Simmons, that book really scared me at times.

message 21: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments i love that book! good choice bob!!

message 22: by Zombette (last edited Sep 03, 2010 03:02PM) (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Bob, you stole my recommendation. I seriously can't express how much I love this book.

I feel like I pimp it like Tressa pimps Naomi's Room......which if I don't read soon I may scalp a child!

message 23: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments it's great!!

message 24: by Tressa (last edited Sep 03, 2010 05:52PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm a vicious pimp. I pimp Naomi's Room, The Cannibal Within AND The Summer I Died. Read them, ho's!

message 25: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Okay, I did 1 of 3. I have to get the other two, although Naomi's Room is hard to find.

message 26: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Oh, I meant I'd like to read Summer of Night by Dan Simmons.

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Aloha was the first ho to respond, haha.

message 28: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Ho-ho-ho

message 29: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui Bailey | 15 comments Tressa wrote: "Hmmmm, it's actually pretty hard for an author to scare jaded, cynical grownups. However, these books shivered me timbers: Naomi's Room and Prey."

I haven't been able to find Noami's Room in epub format. Does anyone know if it's available for ebooks?

message 30: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments No, I searched. But I'm not always the best searcher.

message 31: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui Bailey | 15 comments Tressa wrote: "No, I searched. But I'm not always the best searcher."

Thanks for trying. Maybe others will have better luck.

message 32: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I'm a great searcher and it's not available as an eBook.

message 33: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 236 comments Not many books scare me anymore but here's a short list of the ones that really did.
Gerald's Game by Stephen King
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordan by Stephen King
Prey by Michael Crichton
Survivor by J. F. Gonzalez
and most recently, Endurance by Jack Kilborn. That book was just ridiculous but it actually gave me chills in one part that I will never forget.

message 34: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tardolf) | 28 comments Savanah wrote: "Heart-Shaped Box
For some reason this book scared me so much I couldnt sleep. There was just a visual I couldnt get out of my head."

I agree.....the creepy old man ghost sitting in a chair wouldn't leave my head either.

message 35: by Savanah (new)

Savanah Andrews (savanahwhit) | 14 comments Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so lol

message 36: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Endurance and Trapped didn't scare me, but I enjoyed them. Endurance was a little more affective for me because the thought of getting trapped in a redneck B&B in the middle of nowhere scares me to hell.

message 37: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments You getting trapped in a redneck B&B is hell? Imagine an Asian chick trapped there.

message 38: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yeah, I'd probably fit right in.

message 39: by Trudi (new)

Trudi (trudistafford) | 28 comments Dean Koontz hasn't written much horror worth talking about, but don't miss out on Intensity - I would recommend that book to anyone looking for a truly gripping read!!

message 40: by KumeKei (new)

KumeKei | 238 comments Tammy wrote: "Savanah wrote: "Heart-Shaped Box
For some reason this book scared me so much I couldnt sleep. There was just a visual I couldnt get out of my head."

I agree.....the creepy old man g..."

Sometimes when I walk around the house in the dark I look at the chair in my living room just to make sure Cradock isn't there.
HSB was preety nerve wrecking.

message 41: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Pet Sematary by Stephen King and The Ruins by Scott Smith are pretty scary and creepy.

message 42: by Scott (new)

Scott Martha wrote: "For me, the scariest was The Damnation Game by Clive Barker.

The Damnation Game by Clive Barker"

Seconded.

message 43: by Will (new)

Will Errickson (wille) As much as I've read horror fiction my whole life, I can count the stuff that's actually scared me on one hand. Or thereabouts.

Dracula (Oxford World's Classics) by Bram Stoker Pet Sematary by Stephen King The Shadow Over Innsmouth by H.P. Lovecraft Salem's Lot by Stephen King The Cipher by Kathe Koja Song of Kali by Dan Simmons

The scariest/creepiest thing I've read lately was the short story "Not From Around Here" by David J. Schow.

message 44: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Will wrote: "The scariest/creepiest thing I've read lately was the short story "Not From Around Here" by David J. Schow. "

Ooh, I'll have to look for this. Since short stories have to make the most out of their length, the scare can be more affective than in a book.

message 45: by Ken (new)

Ken (reedr) | 36 comments Pet Sematary scared the do-do out of me when I read it as a teen-ager.

message 46: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Is that why Do-Dos are extinct?

message 47: by David (new)

David (nusandman) | 21 comments Pet Semetary, Salem's Lot, The Demonologist, some of the short stories in Night Shift are the first that come to mind.

message 48: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments The Boogeyman from Night Shift scared me.

message 49: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments This isn't going to be the best recommendation b/c I just feel like there is scarier stuff out there, but Brian Keene's Darkness on the Edge of Town really scared me. I really can't tell you why. But there were several points where I had to set the book down and take a breather.

Not overtly gory, nor macabre, just scary.

message 50: by David (new)

David (nusandman) | 21 comments The one that was an offshoot of Salem's Lot was particularly creepy for me. Also, really liked Sometimes They Come Back.

« previous 1