The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > The Remains of the Day - spoilers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10018 comments Mod
you can spoil things for me. I wanna know.

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments I'm just glad that this group has finally decided to read one of my all time favorite books. :)

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Baer | 182 comments After readingThe Remains of The Day several yaers ago, I've collected all his books and reread several.

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt Sinclair (cflames55117) I finished this one a few days ago, and I have to say I did enjoy it for the most part. I really liked the point of view of Stevens; his quirks and mannerisms were great. His relationship with Miss Kenton was off the wall and provided some good entertainment.

message 5: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Baer | 182 comments I liked Steven innocence about politics - his master a pro-nazi before WW II. (the part about the dinner guests)

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I actually stopped reading after about 30 pages because I couldn't handle the slow pace -- when I'm tired I have a hard time concentrating on reading that doesn't go somewhere -- but I restarted it yesterday and am now really enjoying it. I just finished "day 2" and was really touched by the section when his father died and how strained that relationship was and how he felt his duty was to keep "butlering" (or whatever the word is). I am also getting a kick out of the proper, mannered arguing between Stevens and Miss Kenton.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I just finished the book and I have to say that it was a little disappointing. I was expecting some kind of climatic ending when he met with Miss Kenton, maybe that involved Stevens' missinterpretations, and it kind of fizzled out. I felt like the author just said, "OK, I'm going to be done now."

I did like the Stevens character and how he was written, that in some ways he was an unreliable narrator and didn't realize it. And there were definitely some cute parts as he interacted with others who weren't as overflowing with "dignity".

message 8: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Amanda wrote: "I just finished the book and I have to say that it was a little disappointing. I was expecting some kind of climatic ending when he met with Miss Kenton, maybe that involved Stevens' missinterpreta..."

I was very disenchanted with the ending. I agree that it was very anti-climatic.

I found the pace of the book to be slow in general. While I enjoyed the "re-visiting" of the story, I was reminded why the title hadn't stuck in my head as having been read. It's a forgettable story.

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) Stevens was an interesting character, but I agree about the ending. It made me think "That's it?"

message 10: by Jill (last edited Sep 25, 2010 11:37AM) (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments To those of you who had a problem with the ending: how would you have ended it? Bear in mind that Stevens is an unreliable narrator, so you cannot trust his viewpoint on things.

Edited to say: And yes, I recognize that I'm biased, as I think it had a perfect ending (it being one of my favorite books and all). But I'm not meaning this question in a hostile way. I genuinely am curious.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) I don't know how I would end it. I guess I was just expecting something bigger....or more satisfying? I don't know. It's not so much that I had a problem with it. It just wasn't what I had expected I guess. I don't even know how to put it in words.

message 12: by Karina (new)

Karina I know everyone is upset about the ending, but really, as we got to know Stevens, do you think it would have ended any other way? Stevens never really expressed his feelings and only until that moment he realizes his heart is breaking, but we know him by this point and he will not do anything to find happiness for himself. I just finished reading this story a couple of days ago, and I absolutely loved it. Miss Kenton and Stevens relationship was comical, because Miss Kenton clearly loved Stevens, and I found it funny that Miss Kenton was clearly trying to get Stevens to tell her not to marry her "aquaintance" and ou knew it as she kept repeating herself.
Also, the relationship between Stevens and his father was upsetting because Stevens was too busy "buterling" to even be with his father as he lay dying.
The novel was beautifully written and I will definitely read more from this author.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I was happy with the ending because it felt true to real life.

message 14: by Elena (new)

Elena It seems I am in the minority as I really didn't like the book. I better say it is not that I "disliked" it, but I found the story dull and it didn't interested me at all.

What is your interpretation of the title? I see the story as "The Remains of Life".

message 15: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments I thought it was in reference to the fact that they would have some time together at the end of the day-kind of like they spent the "remains of the day" together having tea etc. It was a special time just for them.

I don't know, maybe someone else thought something else.

message 16: by Elena (new)

Elena It makes sense. I saw the remains of Stevens life described at the end, and I associated it with it.