You Debate, We De Sharks discussion

55 views
Today's Issues > Drugs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 332 (332 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Gary (new)

Gary So it seems a few of the other threads in this group are running out of steam and we need something new to reinvigorate the debating, and drugs are a pretty divisive issue.

Do you think the 'war on drugs' has failed? Should prohibition end? On some drugs or all drugs? What about alcohol and tobacco?

Debate away....


message 2: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments I strongly dislike everything about drugs I think that the currently illegal drugs should stay illegal. I dont feel like saying more right now though I will later.


message 3: by Gary (new)

Gary A few months ago here in the UK professor David Nutt the chairman of the governments scientific advisory panel on drugs was forced to resign after publicly criticizing the government for failing to take on board the scientific findings of the panel when deciding policy. In the findings they had shown that marijuana, ecstasy, acid and various other substances were less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco.


The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 515 comments I don't agree with any kind of drugs. They lead to stupid decisions and can ruin your life...


message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments I see no problem with tobacco. Your body will just have to suffer the consequences, and if you're willing to deal with that, then fine. Plus tobacco just smells so good when it's smoked...


message 6: by Gary (new)

Gary What about the economic side of the issue? Billions are spent each year around the world on tackling the supply and use of drugs, the incarceration of users and dealers as well as battling the cartels/mafias that control the market. If we took them out of the black market would we not financially cripple many criminal organizations, save billions on law enforcement, reduce prison numbers, and allow our governments to use not just that money but also the money that would be raised from the increased tax revenues that could be made to tackle it as a health issue and increase education on the dangers of drugs. Surely it would pay for it many times over and could also help fund reducing poverty, tackling global warming and many other important issues facing us in the world today.


message 7: by Gary (new)

Gary At this point I guess I should say that I'm not trying to convince anybody that we should legalize drugs, I just think we need to look at the bigger picture.

I myself am conflicted on the issue, the liberal in me thinks we should have the right to fuck ourselves up anyway we please as long as we don't harm anybody else and economically I think the benefits speak for themselves. The problem arises for me where suddenly millions of people who would never have touched drugs find it acceptable to experiment with them based on their legal status, sure many will only enjoy the good side but many others will destroy their lives as a result. The problem is whatever the legal status somebody will suffer as a result, and I do not feel comfortable with having to decide who that will be.


The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 515 comments I'm fine with tobaccoo... My sister and my mom smokes... I never will but... I don't see a problem with tobaccoo...


message 9: by Nathan (new)

Nathan The war on drugs is a joke. It succeeds in locking up petty offenders for weed. Not much more. Drugs should be legal. If people want to use them, they should be able to do so. Drugs were legal for a long time in this country and it wasn't until recently that they were outlawed.


message 10: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 515 comments Because they cloud your judgement and put people in danger. They should be illegal.


message 11: by Gary (new)

Gary The Fox Princess wrote: "Because they cloud your judgement and put people in danger. They should be illegal."

Alcohol clouds your judgement yet they advertise it on tv, do you think that should be illegal? Do you think people shouldn't have a choice?


message 12: by Gary (new)

Gary Lindsay wrote: "*shakes head*

Fox Princess, I fear that you're another victim of the phony war on drugs that the media has caused. I don't support heavy drugs, but there is absolutely no reason why marijuana is i..."


I don't think the war on drugs is phony, if you look at what's going on in Mexico right now I don't think it would be an exaggeration to call it a war, it is being fought by the army.

You keep saying you don't support heavy drugs but do you think they should be legal?


message 13: by Gary (new)

Gary Nathan wrote: "The war on drugs is a joke. It succeeds in locking up petty offenders for weed. Not much more. Drugs should be legal. If people want to use them, they should be able to do so. Drugs were legal..."

Care to elaborate on why drugs should be legal?

While I respect your view that they should, and also agree with the one reason you provide, it is a reason that holds very limited validity.


message 14: by Gary (new)

Gary Lindsay wrote: "I think it's phony because there's no point to it...

No I don't think LSD or cocaine or meth should be illegal, but marijuana is fine."


Ah, just a misunderstanding on the use of the word phony. Unfortunately while I don't agree with the approach to current drug policy, or the 'war on drugs' there is actually a point to it, and that is enforcing the rule of law.

Anyway, would you care to give me any reasons on why drugs should be legal?


message 15: by Gary (new)

Gary Lindsay wrote: " And studies have shown that if weed is legalized, crime will go down, productivity will go up"

This sounds a bit strange to me. I don't suppose you have any links to any studies showing this do you? (This is not a challenge to you, I'm just intrigued by that information and by what evidence they have to support it)


message 16: by Gary (new)

Gary Hmm, it doesn't actually claim that productivity will go up. I can tell you from the perspective of a pot smoker that my productivity at work is unaffected regardless of if I've had a smoke on the previous night or not. Also if I have a smoke before work then I will be less productive as I'm not in the right frame of mind to be there.


message 17: by Gary (new)

Gary Well I just work in a shop, when I'm stoned I find it impossible to switch off my active mind so easily become distracted from my job, where as when I'm not stoned I can accept that I'm essentially just whoring myself out for money and therefore just get on with it and get it over with.


message 18: by Gary (new)

Gary Pretty much everyday, though nowadays never before work as I can't enjoy being stoned while there.


message 19: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments I don't care I really don't...but here's a question...What would we do if celebs stopped getting arrested for drug use???? We would have no more TV!!!!


message 20: by Nathan (new)

Nathan We might have no great musical artists. Remember, inspiration comes from drugs much of the time.


message 21: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments What about Alice and Wonderland......we wouldn't have that


message 22: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments umm if people need drugs just to think right and for "inspiration" they need help and im not trying to say this in a mean way but the human body naturally does not need drugs until you start using them then you cant think right without them which is bad anyways besides they dont do you any good and they really are a gateway drug


message 23: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments and how long till using them for inspiration becomes an addiction


message 24: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments then why does he keep using it


message 25: by Gary (new)

Gary Nathan wrote: "We might have no great musical artists. Remember, inspiration comes from drugs much of the time."

"You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years were rrreal fucking high on drugs. The Beatles were so fucking high they let Ringo sing a few tunes." Bill Hicks


message 26: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments hmm ok I will do that oh wait I dont own a single musical CD lol.


message 27: by Nathan (new)

Nathan besides they dont do you any good and they really are a gateway drug

This is the perfect example of a post from someone who has no clue what he is talking about. What drugs are gateway drugs? Do tell.


message 28: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments a gateway drug is a less deteriorating drug that eventually leads you to use something more deteriorating marijuana does basically that but there has been a study done that says it only does so to younger people http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/...


message 29: by Nathan (new)

Nathan a gateway drug is a less deteriorating drug that eventually leads you to use something more deteriorating marijuana does basically that

I know what a gateway drug is. I was making the point that gateway drugs are bullshit. Marijuana doesn't lead anyone towards harder drugs. People lead themselves to them. People smoke marijuana for years and years and never do anything more serious.


message 30: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments and you cant tell me that them smoking marijuana had a factor for making them use worse drugs.


message 31: by Nathan (new)

Nathan and you cant tell me that them smoking marijuana had a factor for making them use worse drugs.

You can't tell me that it did either. You know the history of people that have done harder drugs? You know they started with marijuana? Or was it cigarettes, alcohol, or caffeine that they started with? This is why gateway drugs are bullshit. People who have the personality to do harder drugs already have it. People who don't won't develop it.


message 32: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments What about prescription drugs you idiot? And caffeine? Because I'm a total bitch in the morning if I don't have my Starbucks.


message 33: by Nathan (new)

Nathan All drugs should be prohibited. It messes up people and then they go about messing up the world.

What a stupid statement. Why should those that can use drugs recreationally be punished because of idiots who cannot control themselves? You realize you are saying that tylenol and caffeine should be prohibited as well, right? Those are drugs. Drugs don't mess people up. People mess people up. Many people use legal and illegal drugs and are just fine. They hold down a job, pay their taxes, volunteer at the hospital, etc. Demonizing drugs is silly.


message 34: by Nathan (new)

Nathan I know a person who smokes weed -- and whenever I see her she always looks sick, & her skin is practically green. It's disgusting.

Oddly enough, weed doesn't turn people green. So I guess your friend has a different problem.


message 35: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments she probably didnt mean that literally I think she meant the person always seems sickly. And overusing almost any type of drug can be lethal so why should you continue to use it and why should the government let you do something that could cause you many a problem.


message 36: by Nathan (new)

Nathan And overusing almost any type of drug can be lethal so why should you continue to use it and why should the government let you do something that could cause you many a problem.

I should continue to use it because I want to. Some drugs are lethal in high doses, but some are not. So what? Motorcycles can be lethal. Should I not be able to use those either? Should the government tell me I cannot ride a motorcycle or drive a car? Tylenol can be lethal. Should I not be able to buy or use that too? Why does that fact that something might kill someone make you think that it should be illegal? With proper use, drugs are no more dangerous than motorcycles, kitchen knives, or hard candy.


message 37: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments why would you want to continue to use something that is hurting your health.... Motorcycles and cars are forms of transportation and they have done much good for the world. Tylenol is not meant to be lethal and can help you its the stupid people who overdose that get hurt by it. Hard candy is a food that you can simply choke on you can do that with a piece of chicken or almost any food we kinda have to eat. Kitchen knives have many uses and are very important tools for cutting a plethora of things. See the difference between those things and illegal drugs are they actually have good uses.


message 38: by Nathan (new)

Nathan why would you want to continue to use something that is hurting your health....

Many drugs do not hurt your health when used moderately.

Motorcycles and cars are forms of transportation and they have done much good for the world.

Drugs have done the world a lot of good too. Because you are ignorant to their positive effects, does not make them bad. Motorcycles are not necessary. So why should they be legal? They hurt and kill many people each year. So why not make them illegal?

Tylenol is not meant to be lethal and can help you its the stupid people who overdose that get hurt by it.

Drugs in general are not meant to be lethal. Illegal drugs can help you too and the argument can be easily made that it is only "the stupid people who overdose that get hurt by them."

Hard candy is a food that you can simply choke on you can do that with a piece of chicken or almost any food we kinda have to eat. Kitchen knives have many uses and are very important tools for cutting a plethora of things. See the difference between those things and illegal drugs are they actually have good uses.

You are clearly obtuse, so I will slow it down for you. You were claiming that drugs should be illegal because they can hurt people. I pointed out, quite clearly, this is not a valid argument since many things we use and need everyday can hurt people. You are now saying that it isn't the same thing because those things are useful, but illegal drugs are not. This is obviously not the case because illegal drugs have many benefits, not the least of which are medicinal.


message 39: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments Illegal drugs shorten your life span and they can give you many terrible diseases the good things or so you say are that they calm you down and maybe make you think more clearly. well guess what there are better less damaging ways to get the same effect of being calm and focused.


message 40: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Illegal drugs shorten your life span and they can give you many terrible diseases the good things or so you say are that they calm you down and maybe make you think more clearly.

I have already stated that illegal drugs when used in moderation, do not shorten your life span. I happen to be right and my view is supported by science, but hey...let's not let the facts get in the way of your stupid argument.

Illegal drugs give you diseases? Like what? You might be able to argue that marijuana can give you cancer, but then so do legal drugs like cigarettes, alcohol, and cigars. Those aren't illegal, so your argument falls apart again.

What are the better ways of getting the same effects of drugs? I'd be curious to know.

Lastly, even if drugs were bad for me, why the hell would it be the government's business what I do with my own body?


message 41: by Cody (last edited Sep 07, 2010 02:30PM) (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments part of what the government does is look after the well being of their people it is something they are supposed to do that is why they make sure we have clean water and safe food. And I never said any of the legal drugs were right either I wouldn't care if cigarettes, alcohol, and cigars were illegal also. Also even if you use the drugs in moderation it still builds up in your body. and lastly you could simply (you are probably going to think this is stupid but I dont care) meditate to get the same effects sit down relax and clear your mind of all thoughts it relaxes you and makes you more focused and dont say it dosnt because I sometimes personally do it when I am upset about something


message 42: by Nathan (new)

Nathan part of what the government does is look after the well being of their people it is something they are supposed to do that is why they make sure we have clean water and safe food.

Clean water and safe food isn't a directive. I can drink dirty water and eat dirty food if I like. SO, again, it isn't the same thing.

Also even if you use the drugs in moderation it still builds up in your body.

No, they do not.

and lastly you could simply (you are probably going to think this is stupid but I dont care) meditate to get the same effects sit down relax and clear your mind of all thoughts it relaxes you and makes you more focused

So I should have to do what you want me to do when I want to relax? Why is that exactly?

Also, you claimed that the governement's job is to protect us. SHouldn't they make motorcycles illegal then? Motorcycles are for recreation. They aren't necessary. And they kill people every year. Should the government make motorcycles illegal? Why or why not?


message 43: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments I didn't say that you had to do what I said to do it was simply a suggestion.

Clean water and safe food was simply a example they dont want their people poisoning them selves so they make sure they have access to clean water and safe food and makes sure they cant use things that harm their body.

It does build up anything your body is naturally not meant to dispose of it will simply build up (this part is hard for me to explain)

Motorcycle accidents are just that accidents its not an accident that you are using drugs.


message 44: by Nathan (last edited Sep 07, 2010 02:55PM) (new)

Nathan I didn't say that you had to do what I said to do it was simply a suggestion.

You are saying that we should do what you want us to do when you say that drugs should be illegal. That is taking our choice away, in case you didn't know what illegal meant.

Clean water and safe food was simply a example they dont want their people poisoning them selves so they make sure they have access to clean water and safe food and makes sure they cant use things that harm their body.

Having access to something safe is not the same as being forced to do something safe. And you are not telling the truth when you say the government makes sure that citizens can't use things that harm their bodies. We have cigarettes, alcohol, cars, legal drugs, knives, guns, and on, and on, and on...

It does build up anything your body is naturally not meant to dispose of it will simply build up (this part is hard for me to explain)

It is hard for you to explain because it it total crap that you are pulling out of your butt. So is our body "meant to dispose of" alcohol? Does it, therefore, build up in our bodies? What about a Big Mac or and ice cream sundae? I mean, these don't occur in nature, so do they build up in our bodies when eaten in moderation?

Motorcycle accidents are just that accidents its not an accident that you are using drugs

Well, it isn't an accident that the person is using the motorcycle. The crash part is the bad part and is the part that is the accident. Just like the overdose part is the bad part and the part that is the accident.


message 45: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments Big macs do build up in your body just not how you would think hmmmm Im terrible at explaining these things go talk to a chiropractor about it before you say something like that.

there was an amendment a long time ago on making sure people have the right to bear arms and like I said there is nothing good about alcohol or tobacco. and most legal drugs are meant to do good unlike illegal drugs whose purpose lies pretty much on getting you high. Overdoses are not always accidents.


message 46: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Big macs do build up in your body just not how you would think hmmmm Im terrible at explaining these things go talk to a chiropractor about it before you say something like that.

Talk to a chiropractor who adjusts spines on how Big Macs build up in the body? Wow. You have possibly said the most ridiculous thing yet.

and most legal drugs are meant to do good unlike illegal drugs whose purpose lies pretty much on getting you high.

Getting high is good.

Overdoses are not always accidents.


Jesus Christ, are you going to even take this argument seriously? If not, stop posting. You are making yourself look like a complete moron. So your argument now is that sometimes people commit suicide with illegal drugs? Okay, people also commit suicide with guns, cars, ropes, motorcycles, knives, razors, poison, etc. etc. etc. So should these all be illegal too since people use them for suicide at times?


message 47: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments chiropractors do more than adjust backs they also live healthy by eating naturally and knowing what food does to there body, you sounded like a moron when you said that.

Getting high is not good it makes you make stupid decisions and dulls your senses.

and no my argument was not that I meant that some people overdose on common over the counter drugs to try and get high.


message 48: by Nathan (last edited Sep 07, 2010 03:53PM) (new)

Nathan chiropractors do more than adjust backs they also live healthy by eating naturally and knowing what food does to there body, you sounded like a moron when you said that

Actually, no I didn't. Chiropractors adjust backs. That is it. The idea of chiropractic "full body health" is a sham which has been disproven by science. If i was going to talk to someone about what I should eat, I would talk to a dietician, idiot. You know, since they study food and what it does to the body. Duh.

Getting high is not good it makes you make stupid decisions and dulls your senses.

You have never been high. You are speaking from ignorance and, as a result, are making ignorant statements. Do rollercoasters affect your senses? What about haunted houses at an amusement park? Getting a massage makes you tired and slows your reaction time. It also dramatically decreases your body's core temperature. So are those bad too?

and no my argument was not that I meant that some people overdose on common over the counter drugs to try and get high.

What? So your argument is that people overdose on Tylenol sometimes? So your argument is that Tylenol should be illegal too?

Jesus, I thought I told you to stop posting if you were only going to post dumb shit.


message 49: by Nathan (last edited Sep 07, 2010 03:54PM) (new)

Nathan I was talking about weed, marijuana, those types of drugs

Weed is marijuana. And why should weed be illegal?


message 50: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments what about medical marijuana.....and air isn't weird she is just.................eccentric.


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
back to top