Amazon Kindle discussion

Do you pre-order?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments I get e-mails almost daily from Amazon to pre-order books. Just curious as to how many people do. I did pre-order Jean Auel's "The land of Painted caves", been looking forward to it for a long time. It's also the only kindle book I have paid over $9.99 for.

message 2: by Stormy (new)

Stormy (silverana) | 22 comments I have only preordered some of the free books on preorder.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 77 comments I have pre-ordered a few books, and they were downloaded on the date they said, and my account was debited for the amount. I did not have any problems!

message 4: by Fred (new)

Fred (fhanselmann) | 6 comments I pre-ordered once and ended up paying more for the book. Price dropped at release. Won't do that again.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments I do pre-order, but I keep an eye out for price drops because those won't always be reflected in your order. If the price drops within 24 (like it did with Diana Gabaldon's new book), I emailed Customer service, returned the book and rebought it for the cheaper price (it was like $6 cheaper)...most of the time I pre-order because I tend to get busy and forget when new books are due out, since I don't go to the bookstore all that often

message 6: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I have pre-ordered some free books and Mockingjay. It was nice to have it delivered to my kindle on the day of release!!

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephbelch) | 43 comments Stormy wrote: "I have only preordered some of the free books on preorder."

Me too. I have preordered two and came when the said it would. Free of course...lol

message 8: by Flannery (new)

Flannery (flannabanana) I definitely preordered Mockingjay, too:-) I like preordering because the book is delivered right to your Kindle at 12 Pacific Time, so 3 on the east coast. When I wake up, it is already there! That's a huge plus for those books I cannot wait to read.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Diane U wrote: "I have pre-ordered some free books and Mockingjay. It was nice to have it delivered to my kindle on the day of release!!"

Doesn't it seem like magic? I just love technology.

message 10: by Redvolution (new)

Redvolution | 17 comments where do you go to get the pre-order list of books?.. i'm clearly missing the boat here!

message 11: by Sharyn (new)

Sharyn L. (sharynl) Occasionally I'll pre-order. (I, too, pre-ordered Mockingjay.) Otherwise I just put it on my Amazon wish list to check at a later date.

message 12: by Kristie (new)

Kristie Cook (kristiecook) | 15 comments I don't see the point in pre-ordering a book that's delivered instantly anyway. I did end up pre-ordering Mockingjay without meaning to. It was after midnight on release day here, East Coast, and I thought I was actually ordering it. I waited...and waited. Prepared to stay up part of the night reading. It never came and I fell asleep. It was delivered at 3 a.m. my time. It has to be midnight in Amazon's timezone. So just be forewarned, if you're really looking forward to a new release.

message 13: by Ann (last edited Sep 04, 2010 02:13PM) (new)

Ann | 83 comments Vanessa wrote: "where do you go to get the pre-order list of books?.. i'm clearly missing the boat here!"

I don't know if there is a pre-order list per se, but I often get adverts. from Amazon for titles not yet released.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments i normally just find them when i'm doing searches for authors on my auto-buy list...sometimes they will be listed a couple of months out, other times, they might not show up until a couple of days before release

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments On occasion, especially when I'm really anticipating a new release.

message 16: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) It depends. If it is a must read for me and I need to read it now - yeah I pre order. :) Others, I will wait to the price drops.

message 17: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I preordered The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, mainly because I didn't want to forget to buy it. I think that's the only ebook I've pre-ordered, though. My TBR list is pretty huge without doing that.

message 18: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 80 comments I only preorder if they offer a special "lower" price. I think I paid $7-$8 for Stephen King's Under the Dome and a month or so after the release it went up to over $9.99. Mockingjay was offered at (I think) $8.45, but it still looks like that's the price. So if they are offering a deal for pre-order, I'll pick it up. But I've noticed a couple pre-orders lately that are over $14.00, what's the point. Wait 6-8 months and the price will probably drop to under $9.99.

message 19: by Regina (last edited Sep 07, 2010 08:23AM) (new)

Regina (reginar) Yeah but some books I can't wait for. For example I have already preordered shadowfever which is out in January and is $14. But the book before that ended with a horrible cliff hanger and that was published in September 08. So there are exceptions to when I will pay an elevates price for a pre order.

message 20: by Connie (last edited Sep 07, 2010 08:55AM) (new)

Connie Faull | 80 comments Regina wrote: "Yeah but some books I can't wait for. For example I have already preordered shadowfever which is out in January and is $14. But the book before that ended with a horrible cliff hanger and that was..."

I get that Regina - if Mockingjay had been over $9.99 I think I would have paid more for it.

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Me too -- but thank goodness it wasn't!