The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Miscellaneous Archives > Croissants, Coffee & Tea--Part the First

Comments Showing 1-50 of 936 (936 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) | 1483 comments Mod
This is the folder for general chit-chat, and off-topic discussions. A place to relax and meet a friend over just about anything. Have fun!

message 2: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Thanks Chris - just what I need in the early hours of the morning when I can't sleep! One of the delights of the internet for me is finding people awake on the other side of the world when I am unable to sleep:).

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) I am a chronic night owl, Madge, so I can identify with you!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a clear conscience and sleep easily but wake earlier than I used to.

message 5: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments I wake early too, around 5am but then, as I am retired, I often take an afternoon nap:D.

message 6: by Jan (last edited Sep 02, 2010 10:43PM) (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments Chris hasn't opened a place for "our poems" in the poet's corner yet, so I'll just post this here.

I had a shower and washed my hair
And wouldn't you know it, while I was there
Another poem came to me
So I'll post it here for all to see.

That's not the poem...just the intro...here's the poem:

Fractured humerus:the right hand's lament.

I broke my left arm some time back
My right hand's somewhat miffed:
While it has so much work to do,
The left hand just does 'shift'!

Jan wrote: "Chris hasn't opened a place for "our poems" in the poet's corner yet, so I'll just post this here.

I had a shower and washed my hair
And wouldn't you know it, while I was there
Another poem came t..."

Poor 'Feckless Fearless Leader' 'Kit' is duly chastised. Jan's Poetry Folder is being created now! Yes, Jan, I will title it for all, but it really belongs to you!

message 8: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Perhaps we can publish them at a later date and make enough money to buy us all a luxury cruise around the Caribbean?!

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments But Madge, we want you to take us on a guided tour of Hardy and Austen country. *thinks to herself( Should I be checking out copyright law?)*

message 10: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments AUSTEN country??!! Much too gentrified for me, although a dip in the new Roman Baths at Bath would be good for my old bones. Rough Bronte and Rustic Hardy would be my choice - can I be carried around in a sedan chair?

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments First you say Austen is too gentrified(actually I was just thinking the locations were adjacent/overlapping?), next thing you're requesting a sedan chair. And I suppose if we should stumble upon some Roman ruins, you'll be seeking a chariot? And for the walking parts, perhaps I could bring a lace parasol and recite poetry to you as we go along? And Chris can recite Hardy poems and if you think of anything else, just let us know...

message 12: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments You've got the idea Jan! I would also want lots of Homity pie and Cider when I was in Dorset and lots of Yorkshire Pudding and Ale when I was in Yorkshire.

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments Yorkshire pud we have here too, but I've never heard of Homity pie......How about some humble pie?

message 14: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Oh no no humble pie - yet! Homity pie is made with potatoes, onion, leek and cheese:-

http://www.gourmetbritain.com/recipes...

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments Thanks Madge, I'll start practising!

message 16: by MadgeUK (last edited Sep 04, 2010 07:46AM) (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments I posted this link on another thread apropros of something else but it seems appropriate here and I wonder if these 'classics' are available in other countries:-

http://www.artmeetsmatter.com/product...

If we were buying gifts for one another, which would you choose?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

MadgeUK wrote: "I posted this link on another thread apropros of something else but it seems appropriate here and I wonder if these 'classics' are available in other countries:-

http://www.artmeetsmatter.com/prod..."

Well for you Madge, I'd have to go with the "Persuasion" mug. Just because I'm evil that way. And we were talking about Lyme Regis, after all. :)

message 18: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) [snickers appreciatively at Kate's comment]

message 19: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Gee thanks Kate:). I already have Lady Chatterley's Lover, so that will be a nice addition to my mug shelf. How about Jane Eyre for you - I think you are a Bronte fan? (They don't do Paradise Lost:()

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

You are too kind, Madge! Jane and I were good acquaintances years ago.

And poor Milton as a coffee mug seems wrong on so many levels. I did enjoy PL, you know, I just have no intention of rereading it. Well except maybe some of the best bits of the early chapters...

MadgeUK wrote: "I posted this link on another thread apropros of something else but it seems appropriate here and I wonder if these 'classics' are available in other countries:-

http://www.artmeetsmatter.com/prod..."

Personally, I would love the 'Penguin Mug "The Common Reader" by Virginia Woolf.' It would be fun to have a set of these!

message 22: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments It's on my virtual shopping list Chris:).

message 23: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments I hate those orange striped books! I like books with pictures on the cover and now we've got all those silly mugs in Australia as well. You spend money in a bookshop and come out with nothing to read! Doesn't make any sense to me...they could have at least put some text on the cups!
Now that game, bookchase...the boardgame about books...that's more my cup of tea...

message 24: by MadgeUK (last edited Sep 04, 2010 12:17PM) (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Sacrilege Jan!!! :O Penguin books are an institution, like the Queen - the first paperbacks, available to common folk like my parents for sixpence, way back in 1935! My own home library has many first editions of them, and the blue 'pelicans'.

OK I'll buy you the board game and then beat you at it by hook or by crook for your cheek! :D:D:D

message 25: by Jan (last edited Sep 04, 2010 05:18PM) (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments Don't mind penguin books
Don't mind an orange spine
But those covers with no pictures
Are a pet hate of mine!

Well, now we all know what to buy Jan for Christmas, don't we? ;-)

message 27: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments David wrote: "I have a clear conscience and sleep easily but wake earlier than I used to."

Uh oh. Does that mean, since I sleep later these days, that my conscience isn't as clear as I like to think it is?

message 28: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments MadgeUK wrote: "I posted this link on another thread apropros of something else but it seems appropriate here and I wonder if these 'classics' are available in other countries:- ... If we were buying gifts for one another, which would you choose? "

If I were buying for you, it would have to be Lady Chatterley's Lover.

For Christopher, though, I'm stumped, since there's not a Hardy in the bunch, nor did I see any pre-1910 poets. .

message 29: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Jan wrote: "Now that game, bookchase...the boardgame about books...that's more my cup of tea...
"

Too bad there isn't a virtual version we could play here.

message 30: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments We could borrow a game from another group that I'm in: you have to summarise a book in 6 words. Here are two of my contributions:

Two many daughters, too few men.

(Pride and Prejudice)

Blair Blair Blair Blah Blah Blah

(Tony Blair's recently released book)

message 31: by MadgeUK (last edited Sep 05, 2010 09:52AM) (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Everyman wrote: "...it would have to be Lady Chatterley's Lover..."

ROFL Everyman - I would put it close beside my other one and think of the topic of a certain discussion:D. And I would buy Wuthering Heights for you since I know you love it so much;).

The lack of a Hardy mug makes me wonder who chooses these titles and what criteria they use. It can't be from their classic bestseller lists because both Far from the Madding Crowd and Jude the Obscure are in there:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ent...

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I will not try to deny it, I am going on A Journey with Tony Blair. I got as a birthday present and now all I have to do is find the time to read it.

David wrote: "I will not try to deny it, I am going on A Journey with Tony Blair. I got as a birthday present and now all I have to do is find the time to read it."

I actually very much want to read this too. I really want to see what his assessments are of Bush. In all candor, I had always kind of admired Blair, but I was profoundly disappointed when he 'saddled up' and rode off to war in Iraq with Bush. I still view that as a totally misguided and bungled effort (I say this as the father of a career NCO in the U.S. Army too).

message 34: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments I was so profoundly disappointed that I gave up my cherished membership of 55 years when he decided ride off to war in Iraq and I did not renew it until this year:(. We are now in the throes of a new leadership election, which I hope will finally put an end to the Blair legacy, with which Brown too was tainted.

message 35: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments Australia's former PM, Malcolm Fraser, recently gave up his life membership of the Liberal Party(despite the name it is the conservative home here)in dismay at the right turn (or should I say even further right stretch)taken under the leadership of Tony Abbott.
Madge, 3 days into "shock and awe" I wrote a protest song. I might put the lyrics in my poetry notebook if you would like to read them.

Okay, let me put it out front and center here. I do feel that I am among friends. George W. Bush was the single-most unmitigated disaster that could have struck the United States, and I firmly believe that it will take decades to recover from his administration. As an American I hung my head for eight years. The problem is though, that this country (the U.S.) is so damned polarized that it is likely to swing back and toss the sitting President from office in two years.

My wife and I do entertain thoughts of emigrating to the U.K., Canada, Australia, or New Zealand. There simply has to be a place on the planet where human beings do a better job of respecting one another, and working together collaboratively to solve problems.

message 37: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Christopher wrote: "Okay, let me put it out front and center here. I do feel that I am among friends. George W. Bush was the single-most unmitigated disaster that could have struck the United States, and I firmly be..."

We're still friends, but we will certainly disagree on that. I was no lover of Bush, far from it, but what Obama has done to our health care and economic systems in two years, to say nothing of burying our grandchildren in debt they will never dig out from under, has done, IMO, far more long term damage to the country than anything Bush did.

So having each expressed our views, perhaps it would be better to leave the field of contemporary politics for elsewhere and elsetime, and focus on reading the books we both love and which are the focus of this group.

Everyman wrote: "Christopher wrote: "Okay, let me put it out front and center here. I do feel that I am among friends. George W. Bush was the single-most unmitigated disaster that could have struck the United Sta..."

And I wholeheartedly agree to that, my friend. This is not the place, nor time for that business. I respect you, and I respect your opinion, Everyman. End-o-story. Cheers!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh this is fun. Everyman on one side, Chris in the other and me in the middle. Because I think they are both egregious and have done irreparable damage to this country. Obama has merely built upon the excesses of Bush. The fact that he did so in the name of "hope and change" has successfully alienated and disenfranchised a huge swath of younger voters who have become dangerously cynical about our political system.

NOW, we have each expressed our views and can return to something more pleasant.

message 40: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments Obama is getting blamed for a financial crisis which happened under a previous administration?
Oops!*Dives for cover as books start flying from all corners of the library*
Maybe we should make a "Politics Anyone?" thread where we can go to share our views or let off steam, then anyone who ventures there will at least have fair warning of the topic. Should I post my lyrics then, or not?

message 41: by MadgeUK (last edited Sep 05, 2010 08:51PM) (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Jan wrote: "3 days into Shock and Awe I wrote a protest song....."

I would indeed like to read/sing it Jan!

Kate wrote: "Oh this is fun. Everyman on one side, Chris in the other and me in the middle. Because I think they are both egregious and have done irreparable damage to this country. Obama has merely built up..."

What is really quite horrifying, Kate, is that I am feeling quite disenfranchised and becoming quite cynical. I shall say no more about this.

I do support Jan's notion of creating a 'safe' discussion thread for this, but I fear I shall not visit as it makes me so very sad. I truly find my strength, solace and comfort here with you and our books.

Okay, I have created a 'safe zone' for any and all political discussions. It is here in the "Croissants, Coffee & Tea" folder too. Have fun!

message 44: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Christopher wrote: "Kate wrote: "Oh this is fun. Everyman on one side, Chris in the other and me in the middle. Because I think they are both egregious and have done irreparable damage to this country. Obama has me..."

As an old in the tooth political activist Chris I say give it time - it is far too soon to judge Obama's administration and it may well need a second term for anything significant to be achieved - if he gets one that is. But no more here.

MadgeUK wrote: "Christopher wrote: "Kate wrote: "Oh this is fun. Everyman on one side, Chris in the other and me in the middle. Because I think they are both egregious and have done irreparable damage to this co..."

I completely agree, Madge; and I'm quite worried that he shan't get the opportunity...

message 46: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Christopher wrote: "MadgeUK wrote: "Christopher wrote: "Kate wrote: "Oh this is fun. Everyman on one side, Chris in the other and me in the middle. Because I think they are both egregious and have done irreparable d..."

I will respond in the Politics thread.

message 47: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Jan wrote: "Maybe we should make a "Politics Anyone?" thread where we can go to share our views or let off steam, then anyone who ventures there will at least have fair warning of the topic. "

I hope not, personally. My experience has been that once an on-line group starts getting into contemporary politics, which has the problem of no visual or verbal clues to soften bare words, no matter how well mannered people intend to be it always winds up getting hostile and divisive. I think it's fair for each person who wants to to express their views one time, as Christopher and I did, but I fear that it will do much more damage to the group over time than any benefit it offers, since nobody's mind will be changed by anything said here.

I'm sure there are a number of overtly political groups on GR. I'm personally looking for something quite different from that here.

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 06, 2010 03:11PM) (new)

Everyman wrote: "I hope not, personally. My experience has been that once an on-line group starts getting into contemporary politics, which has the problem of no visual or verbal clues to soften bare words, no matter how well mannered people intend to be it always winds up getting hostile and divisive."

I shared your concern Everyman. But you should read through the comments over there. It's turned into an interesting discussion with no rancor anywhere in sight. Self moderation in action!

message 49: by Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.), Founder (last edited Sep 06, 2010 03:25PM) (new)

Everyman wrote: "Jan wrote: "Maybe we should make a "Politics Anyone?" thread where we can go to share our views or let off steam, then anyone who ventures there will at least have fair warning of the topic. "

I h..."

I sort of share your concern too, Everyman. Having said that though, I do think it better for the group to have a 'safe zone' where that business can be discussed without offending those who are strictly here for the reading, etc. I have to say that it seems to be getting along just fine too.

I think everyone understands what I believe now (politically, that is), so I personally don't see much point in belaboring it. I am much more interested in discussing books, authors, and the so forth with all of you.

Finally, I also agree with Kate, that we all seem to be a fairly sophisticated and even-tempered lot. I really don't anticipate that things will get out of control. It really does seem that books are our true passions! Cheers to that!

message 50: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Kate wrote: "I shared your concern Everyman. But you should read through the comments over there. It's turned into an interesting discussion with no rancor anywhere in sight. Self moderation in action! "

Perhaps because so far those posting there are pretty much all of one mind. Wait until you get someone where who argues passionately that Obama is actually a Muslim masquerading as a Christian (in fact, the New York Times has pointed out that according to Islamic law he IS a Muslim, being born of a Muslim father and there being no provision in the Muslim faith for him to renounce his faith, any more than a person born of a Jewish mother can avoid, in Jewish eyes, being Jewish all their lives whether or not they practice the religion), or that he is still taking orders from Alinsky and Wright, who he only pretended to disavow for political benefit. Get someone in there who counters every liberal or pro-Obama post with the argument that that those who believe Obama actually means to do good for America are being duped and deceived, and things might not be so congenial!

Not that those are my personal views, though I think those who hold them are no more deluded than those who worship Obama as the best thing since George Bush.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.