Jane Austen discussion

Discussion - Persuasion 2010 > Persuasion - General

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan Welcome to the discussion of Jane Austen's novel Persuasion. The novel was started soon after Emma was written, completed in August 1816 and published in December of 1817 after Austen's death.

Since there are many different editions of this book - with the chapters all numbered differently (I have 2 - one book has 24 chapters, the other has 12 chapters), we are going to pick a point in the story as our "destination" to stop our discussion at until the next "destination."

We can the discussion the novel in general, we could highlight the themes (love, loyalty, persuasion, bitterness, duty, forgiveness.....), examine the individual characters - their motives and actions, the historical context, the society and customs depicted, etc etc...

The novel has been classified as a simple love story, a "Cinderella" story (complete with evil sisters), the story of a self-made man, or an examination on the condition of women who are at the constant mercy of the men in their lives.

We also cannot forget the various film versions and other novels written from other characters points of view.

SO - please let me know what you all wish to discuss and we can set up lots of threads and see where we go!

message 2: by Rheanna (new)

Rheanna Christine (rhechristine) | 7 comments So what are your ladies thoughts about the '07 version (Sally Hawkins) and the 1995 version?

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan Rheanna wrote: "So what are your ladies thoughts about the '07 version (Sally Hawkins) and the 1995 version?"

I personnally find the Anne of 1995 more appealing and I do love me some Rupert Penry-Jones - very biased in that direction!

message 4: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone The 1995 version was far better made and was true to the book. Amanda Root did a great job, and so did Ciaran Hinds. However, I agree with Megan, Rupert Penry-Jones is lovely! Ciaran Hinds was in his mid-forties when he played Wentworth, and though his acting was great, he looked a bit old to play the part.

But other than RP-J, the 2007 version was not the best. I really can't believe that the whole letter scene at the end was changed so much. Anne running through the streets of Bath with a letter in her hand was so inappropriate. Sally Hawkins was a good Anne, I just blame the script.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Badlydone wrote: "The 1995 version was far better made and was true to the book. Amanda Root did a great job, and so did Ciaran Hinds. However, I agree with Megan, Rupert Penry-Jones is lovely! Ciaran Hinds was in h..."

I agree! All that running(!) and the best parts of the story, imo, added in as extra scenes. R P-J was wonderful, but the script was not. I still watch it! ;)

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan Badlydone wrote: "The 1995 version was far better made and was true to the book. Amanda Root did a great job, and so did Ciaran Hinds. However, I agree with Megan, Rupert Penry-Jones is lovely! Ciaran Hinds was in h..."

Exactly! I thought the 1995 was quite true to the book and had a great "feel" to it. Amanda Root was really believable as Anne. Sir Walter was truly wonderful - just so full of himself. I also liked Elizabeth in that version - not real attractive but boy did she think she was. Ciaran Hinds was good too - but, exactly - too old for the part. No way did one ever believe he was early 30s!

I totally agree with you about the 2007. I detested the ending and the running through the streets of Bath - um, no. Sally Hawkins was good but I found the scenes where she just looked into the camera a bit much. But ol' RPJ - definitely worth the time investment! If only he had found a lake to jump into.....

message 7: by Birdie (new)

Birdie | 24 comments I like the 2007 version but the 1995 Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds is at the top of my list of feel-good movies. When I want a little pick-me-up, I pop this movie into the dvd player. It's beautifully done and very romantic. Rupert Penry-Jones (love him in Spooks aka MI5) is a heart throb, but Hinds just nails this role for me, much as Jeremy Northram is my definitive Mr. Knightley.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, Megan, you have to watch R P-J in The 39 Steps! :D

message 9: by Megan (last edited Sep 02, 2010 06:04PM) (new)

Megan Jeannette wrote: "Okay, Megan, you have to watch R P-J in The 39 Steps! :D"

I have my very own copy ;-). It was nice of them to write in that scene where he just has to take off his jammie top. I agree with Birdie - he is also very good in Spooks.

message 10: by Rheanna (new)

Rheanna Christine (rhechristine) | 7 comments So glad to hear it! That script for the '07 version was terrible. Amanda Root is an amazing Anne and although R P-J is quite a dashing man, Ciaran Hinds is much better suited to Amanda Root and I took what some might think as aged, as simply weathered from being out at sea the better part of his life. The cast was significantly younger looking anyway in the '07 version.

message 11: by Birdie (last edited Sep 03, 2010 10:21AM) (new)

Birdie | 24 comments Megan, do you think we need a separate thread for certain terminologies found in Persuasion? For instance, I came across the term Rear Admiral of the White in reference to Admiral Croft and I thought others might be interested in what I found. Should I post it here?

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan Birdie wrote: "Megan, do you think we need a separate thread for certain terminologies found in Persuasion? For instance, I came across the term Rear Admiral of the White in reference to Admiral Croft and I thou..."

What a great idea - I think a separate thread under this discussion would be great. I will set the thread up. Thanks!

message 13: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
Rheanna wrote: "So glad to hear it! That script for the '07 version was terrible. Amanda Root is an amazing Anne and although R P-J is quite a dashing man, Ciaran Hinds is much better suited to Amanda Root and I..."

I also love the Amanda Root version and I just really love Ciaran Hinds in this role. I am never too affected by the age of the actors if they capture the essence of the role and Hinds is just so talented and brings something across on the screen. I think he just portrays the emotions underneath the surface, which is exactly what would have been happening with Capt. Wentworth. I did just like pace, the direction and scripting more too than the newer version. The 1995 version holds its own with most all the Austen films as well.

message 14: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (last edited Oct 04, 2010 07:57AM) (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
Though I do like Rupert--have you all seen Charlotte Gray or The Four Feathers?--I have to say the 1995 version is it for me!

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan Rachel wrote: "Though I do like Rupert--have you all seen Charlotte Gray or The Four Feathers?--I have to say th 1995 version is it for me!"

I did see Charlotte Gray and enjoyed it. I do agree that 1995 is the better version - very true to the book.

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds is good. They both played well off of each other. I thought they were the perfect pair.

message 17: by Sanna (last edited Oct 26, 2010 12:05AM) (new)

Sanna | 12 comments I have seen the 1995 version, but it was a few years ago, so I don't really remember it. I have to watch it again =) I like the 2007 version, but not all of it. Some scenes were better than the rest, but what I liked the most was Rupert Penry-Jones as Captain Wentworth. I thought he did an excellent job, and he's so goodlooking in all of his outfits as well ;)

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Never saw that version, may have to check it out to compare to Ciaran HInds, they looked perfect together

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

SarahC wrote: "Rheanna wrote: "So glad to hear it! That script for the '07 version was terrible. Amanda Root is an amazing Anne and although R P-J is quite a dashing man, Ciaran Hinds is much better suited to A..."

When I saw the 1995 version in the theater, the audience literally sighed when Captain Wenworth kissed Anne. I thought Ciaran Hinds was an excellent Wentworth and very swoon-worthy. The 1995 version of Persuasion is one of my favorite movies.

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan Diane wrote: "SarahC wrote: "Rheanna wrote: "So glad to hear it! That script for the '07 version was terrible. Amanda Root is an amazing Anne and although R P-J is quite a dashing man, Ciaran Hinds is much bet..."

I agree. It captures the essence of the novel very well and is beautifully done.

However, Rupert Penry-Jones is always worth a look IMHO!

message 21: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I like the Ciaran Hinds and Amanda Root version, have not seen the one with Rupert Penry-Jones

message 22: by Amalie (last edited Nov 05, 2010 08:31AM) (new)

Amalie 1995 version, as most of us here mentions is more true to the book and I did not find their 'looks' bothering to enjoy its right quality. The actors does look older but it's same with Sense and Sensibility 1995 version which is brilliant and even Pride & Prejudice 1994 version which is excellent!

Still 2007 version is pretty good. Yes, it's different but worth watching and then there's Rupert Penry-Jones, as Megan has mentioned earlier :)

message 23: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments Time to pull out all my versions of Persuasion to discuss! WHEE!

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Amalie, I will take your word for it. I liked my Persuasion, and Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet was good. Colin Firth in Pride and Prejudice is good also.

message 25: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Dellinger | 44 comments I liked the 95 version of Persuasion, definitely Collin Firth version of P&P and I loved the Emma Thompson S&S although they left out whole characters and scenes( Willoughby coming to the Palmer's to visit the dying Marianne) I liked the early 80's version of Mansfield Park from BBC.