Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Let's Talk About: Top Ten Lists > Favorite Young Adult Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments What are your favorite top ten or more Young Adult books?

message 2: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Winanto (tuanyia) 1. Pretty Little Liars series
2. The Truth About Forever
3. The Book of Tomorrow
4. Twilight
5. It Girl series
6. Au Pairs
7. Don't Tell Anyone or I Will Kill You
8. 13 Reasons Why
9. Just Listen
10. Along The Ride

I LOVE SARAH DESSEN'S BOOKS <3

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Thanks Tanya. I'll have to look into those.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Tanya wrote: "1. Pretty Little Liars series
2. The Truth About Forever
3. The Book of Tomorrow
4. Twilight
5. It Girl series
6. Au Pairs
7. Don't Tell Anyone or I Will Kill You
8. 13 Reasons Why
9. Just ..."

Tanya, how was 13 Reasons Why? A friend told me about it and it's on my trb list. What's your opinion?

message 5: by Sans (new)

Sans Graceling
Fire
Harry Potter (specifically Prisoner of Azkaban)
Twilight series
The Season
Beauty: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast
When You Reach Me
Radiant Darkness
Into the Wild Nerd Yonder

message 6: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Tanya, I LOVE Sarah Dessen!! Some people compare her to Jodi Picoult but I think she is in a league of her own.

message 7: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Great books Sans. I think Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was my favorite HP book but I loved them all (I didn't read the first 3 though). I can't wait for Bitterblue! Did you read Beautiful Creatures? Based on your list I think you would like it.

message 8: by Sans (new)

Sans Thanks Sashana. I've been trolling Kristin's blog, hoping for a release date for Bitterblue. Cannot wait for that one.

Y'know, I did try to read Beautiful Creatures but about half way through, I still didn't care about the characters or what was going to happen to them. I did like Hush, Hush, but not enough to call it a favourite. Though I am looking forward to Crescendo (sequel to Hush, Hush).

As You Wish was good too, as are several of Francesca Lea Block's books. I liked Psyche in a Dress.

message 9: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I've been meaning to read Hush, Hush but I'm really hesitant to approach that book because I hated Fallen and I really don't want to read a repeat of it. I've never heard of Francesca Lea Block, but I'll check her out.

message 10: by Sans (new)

Sans Ooh, I borrowed Fallen from a friend. She liked it but didn't think it was amazing. Several other friends have been raving about it. I think that'll go to the bottom of the borrowed pile.

message 11: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I think I'm a bit wary when it comes to angels and faes. The books that I read with them so far weren’t very good, so I tend to stay away from fallen angels.

message 12: by Sans (new)

Sans I do the same. I have yet to find a fae book I've liked enough to finish. I reserved Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning audiobook at the library since Lisa liked it. Hopefully it'll catch my interest.

I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things about J.R. Ward's Fallen Angels series, starting with Covet (The Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward . I love her BDB series but I was also told BDB this is not.

message 13: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Ohh, I’ll have to add The Fallen Angels to my to-read list. I loved the BDB series too, but I didn’t finish reading them (I think I got to book 4 or 5).

I’m supposed to be tackling my to-read list and here I am adding more books. I think I have Sans syndrome lol

message 14: by Johnathan (new)

Johnathan (ethanj) | 80 comments I think me and Sans have the same tastes in books.

message 15: by Sans (new)

Sans Sashana, I kinda stalled out on BDB after book 6 when the format changed from paranormal romance to urban fantasy. I've heard Rehv's and John Matthew's books (7 & 8, respectively) make up for book 6. I've got them both, just need to get back in vampires I think.

message 16: by Sans (new)

Sans Johnathan, it does look that way. I've been concentrating on historical and paranormal romance lately, but a good YA book always has a place on my shelf. Have you read The Fetch by Laura Whitcomb or Beastly by Alex Flinn ? They've been in a TBR pile for ages now, I need to get to them.

message 17: by Sashana (new)

Sashana When I read vampire books or anything Paranormal Romance for a long period (3 to 6 books) I have to take a break. I’ve been reading all over the place lately, but after I read this batch of books then it’s back to vampires and supernatural creatures for me.

I read Beastly and it was good. I think I gave it 4 stars. Did you know that they’re making it into a movie? The cover of The Fetch looks like the cover of Incarceron, but with a different color.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I think that the Hunger Games are amazing, have just finished the last book and they are the best books I have read this year!

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

message 19: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Suzanne, The Hunger Games has been one of my favorite books since I read it. Very thought provoking trilogy. Sad it's over. I can't wait to see what Collins comes up with next.

I threw my daughter a Hunger Games birthday party this past year. The other parents looked at me like I was crazy for doing so. We had a formal dinner like they did before the games. Then we had a trivia game to see how well they knew the book. Several girls read the book just for the party. I'm happy to say they went on to read the whole trilogy. That was followed by a game where they had to figure out which plants were poisonous from the flowers(because in the games knowing which plants were poisonous was crucial). Next, a scavenger hunt to represent the beginning of the games where you had to find your supplies. Then various games like horse shoes and a game I devised where they had to throw frisbees through hula hoops. Lastly, we had a pinata in the shape of a monkey kinda like the ones from the second book. Was looking for a beehive to represent a Tracker Jacker nest/hive, but couldn't find one. :( Everyone had a blast.

Also, I don't know if you know, but Collins does have a series called the Underland Chronicles geared toward younger readers. My daughter and son read the series and loved it, but I've never read them.

message 20: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Winanto (tuanyia) Lauren, it's fantastic and it has an interesting story. i finished this book in one day. i couldn't help myself to putting the book down. it somehow engrossing and gave me a chill while reading this book. i strongly recommend you to read it. i'm looking forward to reading this book again.

message 21: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Winanto (tuanyia) Sashana wrote: "Tanya, I LOVE Sarah Dessen!! Some people compare her to Jodi Picoult but I think she is in a league of her own."

I LOVE HER TOO! noo there's nothing similar between her and Jodi Picoult. she's truly amazing and her books are always light books. what's your favorite book by her?

message 22: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Winanto (tuanyia) i'm planning to read The Hunger Games everyone keeps telling me to read this book. is it that good? what's so special about it?

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Tanya wrote: "Lauren, it's fantastic and it has an interesting story. i finished this book in one day. i couldn't help myself to putting the book down. it somehow engrossing and gave me a chill while reading thi..."

Sorry which book?

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Tanya wrote: "i'm planning to read The Hunger Games everyone keeps telling me to read this book. is it that good? what's so special about it?"

I'd like to read it too sometime

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Suzanne, The Hunger Games has been one of my favorite books since I read it. Very thought provoking trilogy. Sad it's over. I can't wait to see what Collins comes up with next.

I threw my daughte..."

Wow Lisarenee, the party sounds very fun! :)

message 26: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Winanto (tuanyia) Lauren: 13 reasons why :)

message 27: by Fhal (new)

Fhal (donellys) | 19 comments Hmmm... this is my top 10
1. Fallen by Thomas E. Sniegoski
2. 13 to Life by Shannon Delany
3. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
4. Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink
5. Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink
6. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
7. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
8. Angel Star by Jennifer Murgia
9. Dark Secrets by Elizabeth Chandler
10. Twilight

At first, I thought Fallen by Lauren Kate was cool but as time passed I realized it didn't have much in it. It was just okay for me.
Hush, Hush was nice. Better than Fallen but I didn't actually like Patch that much xD

I'm still gonna read The Hunger Games Trilogy :)

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Oh ok Tanya... It's on my tbr :)

message 29: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Tanya wrote: "Sashana wrote: "Tanya, I LOVE Sarah Dessen!! Some people compare her to Jodi Picoult but I think she is in a league of her own."

I LOVE HER TOO! noo there's nothing sim..."

Hmmm, It's a tie between Just Listen and The Truth about Forever. What's your favorite?

message 30: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Fhalin wrote: "Hmmm... this is my top 10
1. Fallen by Thomas E. Sniegoski
2. 13 to Life by Shannon Delany
3. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
4. Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink
5. G..."

I didn’t like Fallen by Lauren Kate either. I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one. I don’t see why everyone is always raving about it. I didn’t read Hush, Hush yet because I feel like I’m going to be reading another book like Fallen. Love love love Beautiful Creatures. I can’t wait to read the second book. You have a great list Fhalin, I’ll definitely have to look at the things I didn’t read yet.
Did you read The Dark Divine? I'm going to read it because I hear it's good.

You can't go wrong with the Hunger Games.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) That sounds like a fun party Lisarenee! At first I was a bit worried about what could be involved lol!

If you haven't read it you should definately give it a try, it isn't your typical YA book and it isn't really romance although there is a love triangle in it, like Lisarenee said it is thought provoking and emotional. I found myself sobbing my way through bits of it!!

message 32: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I didn’t cry for this one; which is surprising because I cry for everything.

I agree about the party too. First, you got a group of kids to read which is just awesome. Second, it's a party that everyone will remember because, really, how many parents could come up with that? Most parties that I go to are fun but they aren't very creative just your standard cake, music, food, and dance- nothing really memorable.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I did at the end at the bit with the silver parachutes (won't say more as I don'tt want to spoil)and when you see what happened to Peeta, but the book was the worst at getting me crying, when the girl dies I had to put it down for a bit!

message 34: by Sashana (new)

Sashana When Katniss sang that song after she died I got a bit tear eyed. Did you read Mockingjay yet?

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Me too And when she covered her in flowers...and when her district sent her bread, I was a mess that entire chapter lol!

***Mild Spoilers***

Yep I finished reading it very early Sunday morning, I was just sat reading it not realizing what the time was! I think the last book was really sad, especially about halfway through when you realize that District 13 are actually not that different from the Capitol. And Gale starts to become a bit cold.

message 36: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I didn’t read your spoiler because I didn’t read Mockingjay yet. Gotta love that spoiler banner, but I can’t wait to read it! I hope she chooses Gale :)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol, I won't say anymore then, but I hope you like it, I know it has had mixed opnions about the ending, but I liked it

message 38: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I’ve been avoiding all things Mockingjay like a plague on goodreads because I don’t want to hear a peep of what happened. I hope it’s good, I don’t think I’ll be able to read it until the end of September or early October though.

message 39: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 106 comments I didnt read Mockinjay yet, too but I got it... everybody said that it's really sad and dont read it etc .. so I cant started to read it....
Sashana I got Beautiful Creatures, too is it really good? Hmmm shoul I read it? one of my fried didnt liked it but one of my online friend loved it so I cant decided...
But Lauren you should read Hunger Games... I heard that Suzanne found the theme from documentry when she was little she watched the documentey with her father so she can wrote it and could imagine... I think that's great...

message 40: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I love Beautiful Creatures. It wasn't the best thing I ever read but I really enjoyed it. And it's on my favorite list for sure.

It's intresing the way people come up with the ideas for books. I read somewhere that Stephanie Meyers dreamt about Twilight and that's how she came up with the book.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I heard that she got her inspiration from the band Muse (which I love-even if I don't like Twilight very much!)

message 42: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I love Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever). It's such a great song.

message 43: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 52 comments I'm not usually a reader of young adult books. But... I'm reading Raised by Wolves and loving it.

message 44: by Sashana (new)

Sashana What do you usually read, Irene?

I read Raised by Wolves and it was a 2.5 to me. It’s not a bad book at all and I definitely plan to read the rest of the series (because once I start a series I have to read all the books). It just wasn’t very original for me. I felt like I was re-reading Twilight with the whole love at first sight thing. But like I said, it’s not a bad book.

message 45: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 52 comments I'm a vampire werewolf girl. I can't get enough of vampires and werewolves.
BTW I read the Twilight series mostly to see what all the fuss was about. I liked it but not all that much. I think Raised By Wolves is so way, way better.

message 46: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Good to know, I'm a romance girl. I don't care what form it comes in (contemporary, historical, paranormal) as long as I get my happily-ever-after :).

I like Twilight I just can't stand Twi-hards, they just ruined it for me *sigh*.

message 47: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Winanto (tuanyia) Sashana : definitely The Truth about Forever is one of my favorite young adult books i've ever read :)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I don't mind YA books per se, it is YA romance books that I don't like, but I like any other genre of romance, but for some reason YA romance just drives me round the bend!

message 49: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) I don't have a favorite YA book list.
I do have favorite YA writers, at the moment there are only two.
Tamora Pierce and Neil Gaiman. I love and envy their writing styles and success.
I would also like to give Meg Cabot, Cecil Castellucci and Melissa Kantor honorable mention.

message 50: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Suzanne wrote: "I don't mind YA books per se, it is YA romance books that I don't like, but I like any other genre of romance, but for some reason YA romance just drives me round the bend!"

Lol, why do they drive you so crazy?

« previous 1